Skin Care Talk banner

Anyone have a vitamin C lotion recipe?

22K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  mioumiou 
#1 ·
I looked all over the internet and I found one thread on here, but it didn't help much. I have LAA from lotioncrafters. I just need a way to make it into a vitamin C lotion for the whole body.

Help Please

See less See more
#3 ·
Edit: you can't use l-ascorbic acid for body lotions. With a workable pH of 2.8-3.5, it must be in an acidic (serum) environment to do it's work. If you are looking for lotion pH friendly vitamin C, you need MAP.

DragoN's MAP serum would come close to that.

I was looking for a vitamin C (body) lotion back when I was still learning about the various types and uses for cosmetic grade vitamin C. Murad and emergin-C make a few good ones for body use. For those of us a little closer to the ground (wallet wise), there is also Gold Bond Ultimate Healing - which contains palmitates of vitamins A, C and E.

Gold Bond Ultimate Healing (<- my skin likes this stuff - great Lactic acid lotion base)

Ingredients:

Water, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Petrolatum, Jojoba Esters, Cetearyl Alcohol, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Stearyl Alcohol, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Steareth 21, Steareth 2, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (Matricaria), Polysorbate 60, Stearamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Methyl Gluceth 20, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Hydrolyzed Collagen, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipotassium EDTA, Fragrance, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Emergin-C Body lotion (8 oz): Amazon.com: Emergin C Body Lotion, with topical Vitamin C (8 oz): Beauty

Ingredients:

Water, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Glycerin, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Daucus Carota (Carrot) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Pinaster (Pine) Bark Extract, Cera Alba, Citrus Aurantuim Dulcis (Orange) Peel Wax, Steapyrium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol.

Murad vitamin C "Firming" (<-wtf? Squats and lunges in a tube?) body lotion: Amazon.com: Murad Murad Vitamin C Body Firming Cream--/6.75OZ: Beauty

Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, C12-15 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Butylene Glycol, Algae Extract, Di-C12-15 Alkyl Fumarate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cetyl Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Hydrolyzed Soy Flour, Dimethicone, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Rice Amino Acids, Chitosan Ascorbate, Lysine Lauroyl Methionate, Zinc Aspartate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, DEA-Cetyl Phosphate, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Carbomer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Limonene, Linalool, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Ferula Galbaniflua (Galbanum) Resin Oil.

As you can see, YMMV w/ these lotions, but hopefully it's a good starting place. Methinks that the best thing to do is to use DragoN's recipe and scale up for body use, add MAP (it's workable pH is quite body lotion compatable) to your favorite drugstore brand, or let one of the above brands do the legwork for you.

Some resources on cosmetic vitamin C types, uses and stability vs. efficacy:

Different Forms of Topical Vitamin C | Pharmacymix.com, Skin Care Pharmacy and Blog Specializing in Anthelios and Mexoryl Sunscreens

ScienceDirect - Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis : Stability of vitamin C derivatives in solution and topical formulations

Vitamin C: Real Benefits of Topical Treatment Cosmetics Cop: Skin Care & Makeup Tips & Reviews : Cosmetics Cop: Skin Care & Makeup Tips & Reviews

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure Lotion Crafters sells a lotion base that you can add ingredients to
If you don't want to use that, you could mix it into SheAloe from fromnaturewithlove... it's just pure shea butter mixed with aloe vera joice and it's GREAT. then if you need to add a humectant you can, and maybe a fragrance oil to make it smell good
hth!

#11 ·
I think that the answer to both questions depends on how large the batch is that you are planning to make. And how often you are planning to use it. And how big the surface area is that you intend to cover. Too many variables to give any sort of reasonable answer. You are the best judge of all of this. All I know is - I make 1 oz to use on my face and neck and hands and it lasts me about 4 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.