Salicylic Acid - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 First 4 5

Thread: Salicylic Acid

Quote Originally Posted by Tink64 View Post
    I don't have Witch Hazel Extract but I do have Thayers Which Hazel and aloe toner.* Can I add 2% of SA to the Thayers toner or do I have to use the extract?* The Thayer toner is alcohol free.
    Hi Tink64, yes you can use Thayers Witch Hazel. What I would do is dissolve the SA first prior to adding it to the Witch Hazel. You can get it to dissolve using a little Everclear. Once dissolved, then add it to the Witch Hazel.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the quick answer. I have another question on this. When do I use the toner? I'm guessing in the morning since I use Differin at night and am also using the DragoN's Nag at night. Would I use the toner after I wash my face and prior to putting on my moisturizer? Do I leave it on? Since it is a toner I was guessing to leave it on but not sure. Don't want to burn my face. Sorry for all the questions I'm really new to this.

Thanks for the quick answer.* I have another question on this.* When do I use the toner?* I'm guessing in the morning since I use Differin at night and am also using the DragoN's Nag at night.* Would I use the toner after I wash my face and prior to putting on my moisturizer?* Do I leave it on?* Since it is a toner I was guessing to leave it on but not sure.* Don't want to burn my face.* Sorry for all the questions I'm really new to this.
    Just apply it with a cotton ball on a clean face. Applying in the AM is fine. Just be sure you are wearing a good sunscreen. Especially if you are a Differin user.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Thanks again for all the help you have given on this. I have one more question. Hopefully just one. I have read on this forum, but I can't seem to find the exact post again, that it would be good to use a lactic acid lotion after using the salicylic acid toner. I have made my own cream and added lactic acid into it as per instructions given in another post. My question is, do I use the toner and then put the lactic lotion on right after or should they be done at different times? If I'm understanding correctly the SA should clean out the inside of the pours and the LA should smooth the skin a bit. Is this correct? Guess I actually had two questions after all.

Thanks again for all the help you have given on this. I have one more question. Hopefully just one. I have read on this forum, but I can't seem to find the exact post again, that it would be good to use a lactic acid lotion after using the salicylic acid toner. I have made my own cream and added lactic acid into it as per instructions given in another post. My question is, do I use the toner and then put the lactic lotion on right after or should they be done at different times? If I'm understanding correctly the SA should clean out the inside of the pours and the LA should smooth the skin a bit. Is this correct? Guess I actually had two questions after all.
    So your using SA, Differin, and NAG and you want to add LA lotion??? What kind of issues are you trying to address?? Are you acne prone? Are you trying to remove hyperpigmentation? Just trying to figure out what type of regimen you are trying to create. Using too many acids on a daily basis for anyone is not a good thing. So, maybe just explain what type of skin you have and what the reason is for choosing these products?? SA works as an exfoliant, promoting the sloughing away of dead skin cells. LA works by sloughing of dead skin cells, increasing cellular turnover while hydrating the skin.

I certainly don't want to do too much and cause any damage. I do have acne prone skin. That is why I am on the differin. I have been on it for years. In the last few months I have been having more break outs, so I was thinking my pores were probably clogged up. They also look kind of large to me. So, I was thinking to use the SA as my skin can tolerate, which may not be daily. The NAG I was using to shrink pour size.I was asking about the LA because, on annother thread, someone had said it was good to use the LA on top of the SA . That the SA sould clean out the inside of your pours and the LA would smooth the skin on the surface (unless I misunderstood). So, my goals were to control acne, clear out and shrink pores and to smooth skin. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I certainly don't want to do too much and cause any damage. I do have acne prone skin. That is why I am on the differin. I have been on it for years. In the last few months I have been having more break outs, so I was thinking my pores were probably clogged up. They also look kind of large to me. So, I was thinking to use the SA as my skin can tolerate, which may not be daily. The NAG I was using to shrink pour size.I was asking about the LA because, on annother thread, someone had said it was good to use the LA on top of the SA .* That the SA sould clean out the inside of your pours and the LA would smooth the skin on the surface (unless I misunderstood).* So, my goals were to control acne, clear out and shrink*pores and to smooth skin.* Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    What type of cleanser are you using? And do you moisturize and use a sunscreen? Is Differin the only topical you have tried?? There are several other topicals you can try, Retin A micro works well. If you are seeing a Derm I would explain that you are not seeing results using Differin, there are others they can prescribe.

I use warm water and a soft cloth to cleanse with. I do moisturize and use a sunscreen, 30 SPF. I never go out without it. Differin is the only one I've used. I will be talking with the dermatologist, I have an appointment later this month.

I use warm water and a soft cloth to cleanse with.* I do moisturize and use a sunscreen, 30 SPF.* I never go out without it.* Differin is the only one I've used.* I will be talking with the dermatologist, I have an appointment later this month.
    Rather than using a cloth to cleanse why don't you just use warm water and a mild cleanser. The cloth could definitely aggravate your skin, especially if you are acne prone.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for all your help.

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements