Skin Care Talk banner

Salicylic Acid

31K views 49 replies 12 participants last post by  Tink64 
#1 ·
Hi all. I have been searching for an SA recipe and I found one for an SA peel and an SA toner. Is there some other recipe or are these the ones I need?
It was recommended I use SA to clear my clogged pores but before I use one of these, I wanted to know which one I'm supposed to use.
Here are the recipes I have:

SALICYLIC ACID TONER 2%
Toner Recipe from Scratch for 2%:
2 grams SA
10 mls alcohol. [ for the SA]
20 mls witch hazel extract.
70 mls distilled water.

and

SALICYLIC ACID PEEL - USING PLAIN ASPRIN & LEMON JUICE
This at home chemical peel is great for exfoliating skin with out using the more caustic chemical peels that burn. It's also very inexpensive. This peel will diminish acne, fine lines/wrinkles, blemishes, discoloration, and exfoliate thick dead skin from your feet.

INGREDIENTS:
1 Bottle of generic Aspirn (non-coated tablets)
1 Lemon
1 Glass bowl
1 Pair of plastic/latex/vinyl gloves

Your can get those cheap bottles of asprin from the dollar store. Itâ€2122s best to use fresh lemon juice because it has no additives or preservatives that arenâ€2122t good for skin. Juice 1 whole lemon and pour the juice into the asprin bottle, replace the top on the asprin. The asprin tablets will dissolve within seconds (make sure you have the non-coated tablets or they will not dissolve). After replacing the top give the bottle a good shake then pour the solution into your glass bowl.

For your Face:
Using a gloved hand take some of the mixture and start applying it to your face. Start with the less sensitive areas first like your forehead. Once you have it all over your face, let it dry for about 3-5 minutes then rinse. You can sit infront of a fan to dry it faster. Your face will sting a bit, this is because of the lemon juice, but it will subside as the mixture dries. If you canâ€2122t take the sting use this mixture for your feet (and lower extremities) instead. Make this same mixture & substitute the lemon juice with water instead. This mixture wonâ€2122t sting at all.

Can I/should I use both alternately? Or is there some other recipe?
Thanks so much!

See less See more
#3 ·
Dragon to the rescue. Thanks so much! You are too funny with that Fifi. I recall someone in my family using that word to describe herself, LOL, too cute. How often do I use this and when? Before or after the OCM?
Thanks.

#4 ·
I am not sure about homemade peels. You can't really control the concentration or reproducibility of the strength (if you were to find out what the pH and strength was). If you want to make an SA peel, I think you'd be better off w/ a digital scale and willow bark extract from a proper vendor.

#11 ·
MP, I have lots of clogged pores on my nose, not blackheads though. I also have tiny pimples I suppose on my chin and cheeks closer to my ears, also not blackheads but lots comes out any time I squeeze them. It's nasty, but its the only way ti've been able to get them to come out. I wrap my fingertips in tissue so as not to scar my skin. I'm really hoping the SA toner will help. I want to start using it tonight.

#12 ·
I used to do that. Nothing like some instant gratification skincare wise, and I used to really believe that it was the only way to get the pores clear. Used to do that and pore strips. Now I use a mixture of OCM to get them up to the surface and out, steaming / warm cloth to wipe off the upper layers of oil / dirt, and lactic and salicylic acid to clear and clean out the pores.

I made a DIY lactic acid lotion of 8% FAV lactic acid. This decongested my nose greatly, and was good for those hard to reach areas that I can't really get to w/ OCM - mainly right under my eyes and on the upper portion of my bridge. Applying a 20% SA peel in two layers resulted in frosting and flaking of the dead skin (for me), and after 3 peels, I have greatly reduced congestion and blackheads.

I also get those little whiteheads near my hair line. I have tightly coiled hair (type 4A) that requires lots of moisture - I notice that the 'runoff" from hair butters and moisturizers is where I get those little pimples. You might want to examine the products you use on your hair and where your hair falls to take care of those perimeter whiteheads.

#13 ·
Awesome. Could you give me the recipe for your acids so I can try them? I've never done a peel and I'm a bit leary of them but I would try it in one little area just to see if I'm not sensitive. You mentioned you purchased your peel, correct? Which one and from where? I'm desperately eager to get rid of those darned clogged nose pores.

#14 ·
#38 ·
Thanks for these links! Have you tried the Lactic Acid lotion on your face? Does it leave a chalky finish? Does it go away after a while? How often do you use the 8% lotion? Do you need to neutralize with 50-50 baking soda-water afterwards? Do you rinse with water after it starts stinging?

I'm trying to get rid of sun discolorations on face and neck and I don't understand what are the different qualities of acids: glycolic, salycilic, lactic.

Any ideas?

#17 ·
I used to use Paula Begoun's clay mask but I didn't find it did much either. I also did the Biore but they seemed to rip off thin layers of skin too so I stopped that too.

#18 ·
Ugh, Paula. I think her products are overrated because of her Cosmetic Cop / Don't Go To the ____ Counter w/o Me fanbase. Nothing really stands out, and she spends too much time justifying what goes into her products. I tried her Skin Reveal AHA lotion in early spring, and got a couple of samples from her product line. It was all more ineffective than the conventional stuff, and priced too far above drugstore brands.

So far only DIY and peels have been game changing.

#19 ·
They never did much for me which is why I stopped using it. I now use Nightskin which I really found to make a difference in my skin at first, but like other stuff, it seems after a while my skin becomes immune to it. You mentioned your hair is a 4a right? So you were on that curlyhair site? I was on there for some time and that's how I found out about this site, LOL. My hair lost its curl after I had my 2nd baby and now it's more of a wave and the humidity during the summer doesn't help. I've considered getting a perm so many times and so many times I've opted out. I figure I'll keep my hair healthy and keep the waves instead of a permanent curl which is also damaging. I do the co-wash though and use the Organix I think it's called now and then and I'm pretty happy.
I purchased the stuff to make the C serum like a month or so ago but haven't mixed it yet. I'm almost afraid of screwing it up, LOL but I need to do it soon. I really would like to try a peel, but, I will try the SA toner for a few weeks and see how that goes. I'm sure eventually I'll want to do a peel cuz I have lots of little scars and stuff I'ld like gone too.

#20 ·
I've been on naturallycurly.com. I find the site setup way too disorganized to stick around, though. I went there after reading some curly hair guides @ Barnes and Noble.

Choose the simplest vitamin C serum recipe you can find and just get that first batch over with. It's only an ounce (most recipes), and then you will realize that it's no harder than making a batch of cookies - it's actually much easier.

Do it tonight!

#22 ·
Do I really need to use distilled water for the SA toner and the C serum? Also, I read I can substitute the vodka in the C serum with witch haze? True? Is there a difference between the vodka and witch hazel as far as the quality of the C serum?
Thanks.

#23 ·
I use DragoN's recipie below but make it at 1% strength also add 1ml glycerine and 1ml Aloe gel no skin dryness and a nice fluid gel like toner texture

SALICYLIC ACID TONER 2%
Toner Recipe from Scratch for 2%:
2 grams SA
10 mls alcohol. [ for the SA]
20 mls witch hazel extract.
70 mls distilled water

#25 ·
I have very oily skin on the t-zone. I have been using Skin-Beautiful's Salicylic Acid 5% Exfoliator which helps keep my forehead acne and clogged pores at bay. I feel I need to step up to a higher strength to clear my forehead completely. 5% stings for a minute or two.. not sure I can take a higher strength. At what point does your skin get "used" to the strength? And.. companies like these interest me. I'd like to make my own Salicylic Acid Exfoliater-Peel.. Where does one go to purchase the supplies and instructions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.