Making my own moisturizer for dry skin! - Page 2

Thread: Making my own moisturizer for dry skin!

Skincare diva i do apologise never saw you post but however i just noticed that my first post i wrote shall be my basic skin care recepie and i shall add the active ingrendients to this once it is all cooked together and then put in fridge!

I have never done anything like this before so shall be an experiement, with some help i hope along the way!

Thanks for support everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

NY - if you have not already, why don't you check out the Garden of Wisdom website (www.gardenofwisdom.com). I purchased some things from them and noticed that they have a forum where you can ask questions, but also just learn alot about formulations by reading through the postings.

Thanks il look at this as well forgot about this one, im looking at skin actives and bulk actives at mo too! It wont let me post though on these sights for some reason though!

There are so many products out there though, its amazing how much you can stick on your face though!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

So i have done a post on wisdom of garden today, skin and bulk actives would not let me post on there site!

However they do have base creams that i suppose i could just add to but will wait see if anyone replys to me message on garden of wisdom first! As obviously not sure about ph balance in moistuizing cream and how easy it is to add ingrendients i want to the cream!

wow, thats great making your own moisturiser, NY! I sure love making my own beauty stuffs too coz it is so cheap as compared to buying the actual products. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you. But be careful to your skin sensitivity. Do some patch tests first before using any homemade products!!
    *Hidden Content * ~.~ pumi ~.~ *Hidden Content *

Pumi i dont think it will be cheap by the time i get correct ingrendients together, and my chemistry is crap so hence why im needing extra help making this, i think my basic ingrendient list i have is ok but however stuck knowing how to make cream emulisify and if im correct to put active ingrenedients in at end then to leave to set in fridge!

Not sure what my ph balance should be either!

I will make small batch hopefully see how it goes and use on body too if works out ok!

Main reason though why i will try making one is cause hopefully it will suit skin better than store bought one! However though ren and crystal clear etc are great sights to buy stuff from as well, have no parabens in there stuff etc to!
    If you any ideas of how to help please feel free, i need it, thanks

Sorry NY. I would love to help you but the only homemade stuffs I have made so far are vitamin c serum and acv toner I don't know much about making ur own moisturiser. Have never tried making one, you see. But hey, I am sure Fawnie and the others will be better help to you... I will certainly share any info if I have any.

Good luck and don't forget to share ur recipe with all of us.
    *Hidden Content * ~.~ pumi ~.~ *Hidden Content *

Making a cream is a bit like making mayonaise, a bit tricky! There are several ways, but this is one way to go. I am in the process of learning, and I am not all ways 100 % satisfied with the results, but even at worst the result is not half bad.

If you use butters like shea and cocoa these can be wipped into a light and fluffy consistency wich is really good as a starter. This is the cold blend method: add lecitin, glycerin, sugar alcohols and any other emulsifier that will help bring the oils and the water solubles together. The emulsifying step is the tricky one. From the fluffed up shea butter (room temperature or some what above, the beater you use will heat it up too) you can gradually add the other ingredients, oils, destilled water, heb extracts..

You can also go the other way, (still all ingredients at room temperature or slightly above), blending together water soluable ingredients like, destilled water, hyaluronic acid (this one helps thicken), fermented kelp (a sort of water jell), peptides gradually one at a time. Bulkactives have an artifical emulsifier that might be a must in this type of cream, at least it makes the emulsion take much more ingredients. Then stirring like mad ( or food processor) add rosehip oil drop by drop and the oil soluble actives.

I would love to hear any thoughts on this subject, I don't have a 100 % success rate yet. Some water soluble ingredients like dry peptides and green tea extract need some time to dissolve and blend into the cream. I let it stand over night and have another round of stirring, but often not nessecary.

I have been making my own "body lotion" for the last 10 years. I could use it on my face but I find it to "oily", but it's perfect if your skin is dry. First few times it seems complicated, but now I do it without mesuring the ingredients.

1 cup of olive oil or vegetable shortening
    5 table spoon (75ml) shea butter or cacao butter
    1 once (15 g) of bee was
    1/4 tea spoon vitamine A
    1/4 tea spoon vitamine E
    2/3 cup (110ml) of floral water or your choice (witch hazel, rose, or oranger)
    10 to 20 essential oil drops of your choice (my favorites are lavender, geranium)

melt wax seperately from oil & floral water
    heat oil & floral water (never boil)
    add the wax to the oil (make sure they are the same temperature)
    but just before mixing, I put cold water in the sink and place the bol that has the ingredients and mix it with a hand blender and you mix it until it looks like mayonaise.
    add the essential oils when you are mixing not when you heat, 'cause it will evaporate.

Make sure your jars are sterilized by boiling them in hot water for at least 10 min
    this cream will last one month outside the frig and 6 months in the frig.

I bought my shea butter at (very cheap and excellent)

NDA Wholesale Shea Butter - Refined
    this will be my next choice (organic)
    NDA Wholesale Shea Butter - Organic

Maripop can i ask why you you melt you wax seperatly from your oils please? Reason why i decided personally not to use wax is caused when i read up on ingrendients thought this was more for oily skin so thought olive oil would be better?!

Thanks though for the recepie sounds really good, think il try it to! Have you ever thought of using thickening agents so you can use it on your face as well? This is what i was thinking of doing!

I was thinking personally to use half shea and half coco butter but may be better just to use one!

Im def gonna bear your recepie in mind though, never done this before so il ya know how it goes!

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements