Skin Care Talk banner

Making my own moisturizer for dry skin!

22K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  Margo 
#1 ·
Im beginning my placing my olive oil and emulsying wax into a saucepan! Then place pan on burner on medium to low heat. Carefully stir until wax has melted completely. Add the infused oil!

To make infused oil begin with the herb of your choice! Place your herb in a jar and cover with oil. Then place a lid on the jar and let it sit for couple of weeks. When you are ready to use the infused oil simply strain the oil through some cheesecloth to remove the plant matter.

Once wax and oil have melted remove from heat and add warm water. Stir mixture until combined and add coconut oil and shea butter to make extra smooth.

You can also substituate the water for rose water, colour charged water or mineral water!

#2 ·
Does anyone here have a link though of what the different anti aging ingrendients ingredients do.

Im clued up on my oils but really now am looking inot adding things like good anti aging plant extracts, did think about peptides too but not sure about side effects of these so gonna leave these out!

Any help or advice for me on how i can improve my recepie or whatever really im always wanting to hear any thoughts. Thankyou!

#3 ·
antioxidents green tea, grape and cocoa, liposomes, Ginseng, seewead extract, myrtale leaf, tuscan grain and oat proteins, soya, mallow extract, Q10 enzyme, soya, algea!

These were the thoughts of what may be would be good ingrendients to add to me cream, obviously i cant have all of these but however any thoughts would be great before i purchase anything! Thankyou

#4 ·
Oh wow I would love to make my own stuff. I think I'd miss the fake fragrances that I love though. Also how are you going to get it to stay emulsified? Its not going to have any preservatives so be careful it doesnt spoil. Good luck and let us know how it goes!! WOW! I'm so excited for you. Put up an exact recipe when you get it done, okay?!

#6 ·
Thanks peri for the link very helpful, do you think my recepie i found will be ok by the way, obviously im new to making my own moistuizer but however any input you might be able it give me would be great, was not sure if i would i need to add thickening agent to this as well!

I hope you dont mind all the questions but however should i really check the ph balance i take it too, normally am i correct to say it should be below 3.5?

Thanks for the help

#9 ·
I have never made my own moisturizer either and would not know where to start. So I am looking forward to learning from you this time, NY! Let us know how it's going. In the meantime I am sticking with my simple approach - just using rosehip seed oil or almond oil.

#10 ·
Mirecka neither have i, may be this is gonna not be as easy as i thought, or may be a chemist will come along to help! Um

I have never been one for simple personally, you prob know that already but however after looking at one of the creams i like today that was 80 pound im gonna try make the moistuizer meself! Il let you know how it goes!

Mirecka i did get told earlier if you put some essential oils in with the carrier oils this will help with effectivness of it, also gylcerine will help if you have dry skin, could make it into serum!

#11 ·
Skincare diva i do apologise never saw you post but however i just noticed that my first post i wrote shall be my basic skin care recepie and i shall add the active ingrendients to this once it is all cooked together and then put in fridge!

I have never done anything like this before so shall be an experiement, with some help i hope along the way!

Thanks for support everyone!

#13 ·
Thanks il look at this as well forgot about this one, im looking at skin actives and bulk actives at mo too! It wont let me post though on these sights for some reason though!

There are so many products out there though, its amazing how much you can stick on your face though!

#14 ·
So i have done a post on wisdom of garden today, skin and bulk actives would not let me post on there site!

However they do have base creams that i suppose i could just add to but will wait see if anyone replys to me message on garden of wisdom first! As obviously not sure about ph balance in moistuizing cream and how easy it is to add ingrendients i want to the cream!

#15 ·
wow, thats great making your own moisturiser, NY! I sure love making my own beauty stuffs too coz it is so cheap as compared to buying the actual products. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you. But be careful to your skin sensitivity. Do some patch tests first before using any homemade products!!

#16 ·
Pumi i dont think it will be cheap by the time i get correct ingrendients together, and my chemistry is crap so hence why im needing extra help making this, i think my basic ingrendient list i have is ok but however stuck knowing how to make cream emulisify and if im correct to put active ingrenedients in at end then to leave to set in fridge!

Not sure what my ph balance should be either!

I will make small batch hopefully see how it goes and use on body too if works out ok!

Main reason though why i will try making one is cause hopefully it will suit skin better than store bought one! However though ren and crystal clear etc are great sights to buy stuff from as well, have no parabens in there stuff etc to!
If you any ideas of how to help please feel free, i need it, thanks

#17 ·
Sorry NY. I would love to help you but the only homemade stuffs I have made so far are vitamin c serum and acv toner
I don't know much about making ur own moisturiser. Have never tried making one, you see. But hey, I am sure Fawnie and the others will be better help to you... I will certainly share any info if I have any.

Good luck and don't forget to share ur recipe with all of us.

#18 ·
Making a cream is a bit like making mayonaise, a bit tricky! There are several ways, but this is one way to go. I am in the process of learning, and I am not all ways 100 % satisfied with the results, but even at worst the result is not half bad.

If you use butters like shea and cocoa these can be wipped into a light and fluffy consistency wich is really good as a starter. This is the cold blend method: add lecitin, glycerin, sugar alcohols and any other emulsifier that will help bring the oils and the water solubles together. The emulsifying step is the tricky one. From the fluffed up shea butter (room temperature or some what above, the beater you use will heat it up too) you can gradually add the other ingredients, oils, destilled water, heb extracts..

You can also go the other way, (still all ingredients at room temperature or slightly above), blending together water soluable ingredients like, destilled water, hyaluronic acid (this one helps thicken), fermented kelp (a sort of water jell), peptides gradually one at a time. Bulkactives have an artifical emulsifier that might be a must in this type of cream, at least it makes the emulsion take much more ingredients. Then stirring like mad ( or food processor) add rosehip oil drop by drop and the oil soluble actives.

I would love to hear any thoughts on this subject, I don't have a 100 % success rate yet. Some water soluble ingredients like dry peptides and green tea extract need some time to dissolve and blend into the cream. I let it stand over night and have another round of stirring, but often not nessecary.

#19 ·
I have been making my own "body lotion" for the last 10 years. I could use it on my face but I find it to "oily", but it's perfect if your skin is dry. First few times it seems complicated, but now I do it without mesuring the ingredients.

1 cup of olive oil or vegetable shortening
5 table spoon (75ml) shea butter or cacao butter
1 once (15 g) of bee was
1/4 tea spoon vitamine A
1/4 tea spoon vitamine E
2/3 cup (110ml) of floral water or your choice (witch hazel, rose, or oranger)
10 to 20 essential oil drops of your choice (my favorites are lavender, geranium)

melt wax seperately from oil & floral water
heat oil & floral water (never boil)
add the wax to the oil (make sure they are the same temperature)
but just before mixing, I put cold water in the sink and place the bol that has the ingredients and mix it with a hand blender and you mix it until it looks like mayonaise.
add the essential oils when you are mixing not when you heat, 'cause it will evaporate.

Make sure your jars are sterilized by boiling them in hot water for at least 10 min
this cream will last one month outside the frig and 6 months in the frig.

I bought my shea butter at (very cheap and excellent)

NDA Wholesale Shea Butter - Refined
this will be my next choice (organic)
NDA Wholesale Shea Butter - Organic

#20 ·
Maripop can i ask why you you melt you wax seperatly from your oils please? Reason why i decided personally not to use wax is caused when i read up on ingrendients thought this was more for oily skin so thought olive oil would be better?!

Thanks though for the recepie sounds really good, think il try it to! Have you ever thought of using thickening agents so you can use it on your face as well? This is what i was thinking of doing!

I was thinking personally to use half shea and half coco butter but may be better just to use one!

Im def gonna bear your recepie in mind though, never done this before so il ya know how it goes!

#24 ·
IluvNY. That's a good question, I have never tried to melt it together. I'm just following the recipe and I have to tell you few times I was tempted to do so, but I want to make sure I will succeed for all the trouble...

What agents do you have in mind for thickness? but I think the bee wax is what it makes it thick, you can reduce the oil and put more shea butter and coco butter for thickness.

I have changed few times the recipe and one thing I found out is if you use more shea butter and cut on oil, it's OK it will still be good cream and certainly thicker (you can change or add ingredients) but shea butter in the frig will get your cream hard, if you put what you need for the month in little jar outside the frig and put the other jars in frig, that will be a way to have it thicker but not hard.

My suggestion is: Make the recipe few times to get familiar with it and then you can adjust it to your liking.

You can add Aloes Vera (2 table spoon) glycerin and lecithin which I did, but like gymrat says, it start to become expensive. The vitamine E is essential, it's a preservative and anti-aging.

If you really want to make it simple & inexpensive: just use shea butter and nothing else!

Here's a recipe from the company I order Shea butter

100 gr Shea butter
24 drops rosemary French (Essential Oil)
24 drops geranium (E.O.)
12 drops lavender (E.O.)
30 drops Benzoin (E.O.)
Warm the shea butter, add E.O. & mix

#21 ·
2blue just cause im trying to get my head round what you are trying to say to me

when you say cold blend method are you trying to say that i need not heat up any oils, not use these at all suppose, and just add all my ingredients into my blender and wisk these in the whisker the butters first then adding the emulsifiers and then say add the active ingrendients oils etc!

Do you normally just add the three emulsifiers or would i need more really?

When you say go the other way am i forgetting about using the wax and oils and butters and just adding the soluable ingrendients water, acid .... then say mixing the active ingrendients, putting in blender and then leaving over night!

sorry just bit confused!

to make the cream emulsify do i need these ingrendients lectin, gylcerin and sugar alcohol for first recepie or can i buy the artificial one and use this in both mixtures!

Thanks 2blue for all the advice i think im slowly getting there in terms of what i have to! have never done this type of thing before so I will def back to you and let you know how it all works though and what recepie i use!

Thanks for all the help everyone and opinions, much appreciated, hopefully once i have made my final recepie few times il soon get the hang of things

#44 ·
I agree with that as well. You should also be careful that you are not contaminating the mix. I would use a comparitively cheap aqua cream unperfumed to which you can add certain aromatherapy oils. As these are pure oils, there would then be no risk of contamination. Always do the nose test though to see if you like the smell, some like patchouli are very strong. Ask, from where you buy the oils, which are the most suitable for the face/body. Some you cannot use, so be careful.Make sure too that you do not exceed the amount of drops you add to the mix. It will separate, but you can stir it. If your mix is for dry skin, use wheatgerm oil, as a carrier oil. 30ml to which you add 4drops myrrh 3drops rose. peanut oil is good too for dry skin. I have just bought an organic aloe vera lotion for my dry skin, and it is wonderful. I also use frankincense, and mandarin oils 3drops each in 30ml wheatgerm oil for firming skin.

#25 ·
Reason why though thought it would better to make my own base is cause i have very dry skin and thought if i can experiment making my own cream and get it to the thickness that i want then i can get it to the consistency that i want! I have always had a problem buying moisturizing creams too!

Its def an option for me to buy my own base though i have thought about this!

I need to look to into tonight what i want to put into the cream! The recepie you found though does sound like an easier one for me to begin with!

When you say warm shea butter maripop do you just mean warm this in the blender or heat this up?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone il look around tonight and do some research about what i want to put into this, i do have some carrier oils and one essential oils so am i wrong to say if i decided to add anything say active ingrendients or the gylcerin and aloe vera, which i have at home anyway i could just add it to this too and blend it all in together?

I take it there is no need to worry about my ph on moisturizing cream though?

At least once i have made my first home made moisturizer i can play chop and change it round once im on to making my second batch if all works out with the first!

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone, i really appreciate it. cant wait to get started now!

#31 ·
When you say warm shea butter maripop do you just mean warm this in the blender or heat this up?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone il look around tonight and do some research about what i want to put into this, i do have some carrier oils and one essential oils so am i wrong to say if i decided to add anything say active ingrendients or the gylcerin and aloe vera, which i have at home anyway i could just add it to this too and blend it all in together?

I take it there is no need to worry about my ph on moisturizing cream though?

At least once i have made my first home made moisturizer i can play chop and change it round once im on to making my second batch if all works out with the first!
For the shea butter recipe, heat it first (don't boil), it will become liquide and you can blend it only with a fork and add the essential oil of your choice. Of course you can add glycerin & aloe vera to this recipe, you can play and change it even when you are done. I mean, if you don't like the texture, re-heat & adjust with what you think will make it liquide or more solid. I have never mesured the ph, I don't think it is important, it's not like the vitamin C serum.

For my first recipe, once it's done, you can't re-heat & play & change it.

Those 2 recipes are really good for dry skin. Good luck and let us know if you like it!

#26 ·
Just so that i know to is skinactive and bulkactives the place really to buy ingrendients for making your own stuff or are there cheaper, better websites around? Cause i live in Uk if i can save shipping fees always good thing! thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.