Skin Care Talk banner

The Natural Skin Lightening Discussion Lounge

331K views 924 replies 212 participants last post by  Mylipstick 
#1 ·
Welcome To The Natural Skin Lightening Discussion Lounge

Disclaimer: Im not against the use of steroids, HQ or any other synthetic lightening agent..Heck i use them!!, but i just thought we should have a thread dedicated to natural skin lightening as an alternative...

Hello Folks and Welcome To the "Au Natural Cafe", come in , sit down and have a cup of White tea ands lets dicuss the natural lighter side of life

Well I have certainely caught the “All Natural†bug recently and there are other members here who want to approcah a natural way of lightening too and i couldnt agree more myself..Even though im currently using a product which is highly controversial and is not natural, i still want to pursue a "vegan" form of lightening in the future.. We should all be aware that there products out that can be as effective or evn more potent than HQ, mercury or steroids, that comes in its natural form…

This Thread We Will:

Dicuss Natural Skin Lighteners
Review Natural Skin Lightening Products

The following info is certainely not my work and i have sourced the site, but i believe it has very vital info pertaining to the subject

Natural Skin Lightening Ingredients - Skin Lightener

Here Are Some Common Natural Skin Lightening Actives

Quote: Originally Posted by

Alpha Arbutin:

Alpha-Arbutin is a biosynthetic active ingredient that is pure, water-soluble and is manufactured in a powder form. As one of the most advanced skin lightening ingredients on the market, it has been shown to work effectively on all skin types. It is the epimer of arbutin, and research has proven that it has a stronger inhibitory action than that of (beta) arbutin. Though it is a very expensive ingredient to manufacture, even at very low concentrations, a-arbutin has shown to inhibit the activity of tyrosinase. Alpha Arbutin's inhibitory mechanism is different from that of arbutin and can be up to 10 times more effective. The a-glucosidic bond found in alpha Arbutin offers higher stability and efficancy than the B form found in the related Beta-Arbutin. This leads to a skin whitening active that acts faster and more efficiently than existing single components.

Beta-Arbutin (Bearberry Extract):

Beta-Arbutin is often referred to as just Arbutin. As a natural extract found in bearberry (Uva Ursi) plants, Arbutin also provides a skin lightening effect on the skin by inhibiting tyrosinase activity. Though arbutin is a natural derivative of hydroquinone, it does not possess the same risks or side effects. Arbutin has been shown to be a very safe ingredient and does not break down into hydroquionone very readily. Though it is cheaper to manufacture than Alpha-Arbutin, the skin lightening effect is much less than that of its counterpart. For this reason, many new skin whitening products now use Alpha Arbutin as opposed to only beta-Arbutin.

Kojic Acid:

Kojic acid, often used as an ingredient in Asian diets, is a more recent discovery for the treatment of pigmentation problems and age spots. Discovered in 1989, kojic acid is now used extensively as a natural alternative to hydroquinone. Kojic acid is derived from a fungus, and studies have shown that it is effective as a lightening agent, inhibiting production of melanin (brown pigment). Kojic acid is a by-product in the fermentation process of malting rice for use in the manufacturing of sake, the Japanese rice wine. There is convincing research, both in vitro (in a test tube) and in vivo (on a live subject), showing kojic acid to be effective for inhibiting melanin production.

Licorice Extract:

The licorice plant serves many purposes in skin care. The ingredient that is responsible for the skin whitening aspect of the plant is known as glabridin. Glabridin inhibits pigmentation by preventing tyrosinase activation. Studies have shown that it can provide a considerable skin brightening effect while remaining non-toxic to the melanin forming cells. Glabridin is found in very small traces and therefore it is important to ensure that the correct part of the licorice plant is used. Licorice's anti-inflammatory properties (due to ihibition of superoxide anion production and cyclooxygenase activity) also make it a very popular ingredient in the skin care industry.

Niacinamide:

Niacinamide is commonly known as Vitamin B3 and is an effective skin lightening compound that works by inhibiting melanosome transfer from
melanocytes to keratinocytes. Often this ingredient works best when combined with other skin lightening treatments. Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) is also known to be effective in reducing acne.

Mulberry Extract:

Paper Mulberry extract, is obtained from the root of Broussonetia kazinoki, Siebold. or B. papyrifera, Vent. Tabl. Regn. Veget. or hybrids of both, family Moraceae. Extracts of this root are potent inhibitors of Tyrosinase enzyme. The active constituents present in the extract are Prenylated, polyhydroxylated mono-and bis-phenylderivatives. A 0.4% concentration of paper mulberry extract inhibits tyrosinase by 50% compared to 5.5% for hydroquinone and 10.0% for kojic acid. At 1% paper mulberry extract is not a significant irritant.

Glycolic Acid:

Glycolic Acid is a AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) which promotes exfoliation and a natural brightening of the skin tone. By encouraging cell turnover, glycolic acid not only evens out skin discolorations, but also helps to minimize fine lines and wrinkles. AHA's such as Glycolic Acid can assist other ingredients in skin lighteners by allowing them to penetrate farther into the skin.

Lactic Acid:

Also an AHA (alpha hydroxy acid), Lactic acid mimics the properties of Glycolic acid but is typically better suited for individuals with sensitive skin. AHA's such as Lacic Acid can assist other ingredients in skin lighteners by allowing them to penetrate farther into the skin.

Lemon Juice Extract:

Lemon juice is one of nature's most potent skin bleaching ingredients. Unfortunately it is also very irritating to the skin and should only be used at small concentrations in skin lighteners. Lemon juice is also known to be extremely drying to the skin if applied directly.

Emblica:

Emblica is a patented composition extracted from the plant Phyllanthus emblica. The extract uses a multilevel cascade of antioxidant compounds resulting in a long-lasting and stable antioxidant activity. Recent studies have shown that this natural antioxidant also provides significant skin lightening properties when used in moderate concentrations.

Vitamin C:

Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant that occurs in many different forms (some stable and others unstable) each with distinct properties. Several of these forms have been shown to reduce melanin formation and provide a skin whitening effect when applied topically. These include l-ascorbic acid, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate and sodium ascorbyl phosphate. These forms when used individually or together can assist in slowing down hyperactive melanocytes and thus resulting in lighter skin.

I Want To Be A Vegan Bleacher

See less See more
#888 ·
Hi there I have three alpha arbutin questions

1. Can I make a 5-10% AA cream with no major reactions
2. The source of this according to the manufacturer makes it from hydroquinone and dextrine so what's the point of using this if it'll just covert back into HQ?
3. Will I rebound like HQ once I stop?

#890 · (Edited)
Hi all. Pls I need help. I want to start DIY and I am pretty new. I want to make separate lotion for face and body because I am battling with acne. I have some inventories already.
Alpha Arbutin powder, Kojic Acid Powder,Licorice, Niacinamide,, Hyaluronic acid and Almost 20 several oils ( Jojoba, tea tree, lemon, carrot seed, neem) base lotion is Eucerin Daily Hydration moisturiser.
My questions are 1. Are the inventory okay or do I need more products
2. Can I use Rose water to dissolve the AA double boiling method.
Thank you.

#895 ·
If your lotion is a water base, you won't need to dissolve the AA, its water soluble. Ok to use it at 2%, same goes with Niacinamide, its water soluble, ok to use at 5-6%, just don't use it with any type of acid lotion, nothing with LA, GA, etc.

As for KA, its a booger to work with, can oxidize really easy. As for HA, make a simple serum with it, you need distilled water for that, but your rose water would work in place as distilled. As for the oils, jojoba is the only one listed I would use. Scratch the tea tree and lemon for sure! @sexysisi

#904 ·
Hello everyone,

I’m new here, I have currently been exfoliating for the past 2 month with F&W AHA cream, Dudu osun soap, a sea salt scrub I use 3 times a week and sunscreen during the day.
Now I want to start my lightning journey and I want to go the natural way, my goal is to be 3 shades lighter, there are so many information and I am so confused. Please can anyone help my ministry and also please I don’t know how to DIY. I really appreciate sorry for long story

#907 ·
Where in Africa Nigeria Ghana or Cameron there are thread you can read to connect to people around you and beyond that reading thread safes you time and money there are reviews of what not to buy and what to buy, effective and efficient products and where to buy them you can also ask questions on what you are doing or trying to achieve.

#908 ·
@TRIUMPH Thanks so much you are so kind. I am in Lagos Nigeria but my major problem is how to find my way around threads here, maybe I don’t know how to search properly I will keep trying to understand the site, because my skin isn’t even exfoliated properly face, outer arms and legs are still dark compared to my boobs and innner arms. Any tips on how to search the site better and also tips to speed up exfoliation. Thank you🙏

#915 ·
@gymrat

Hi there, I was wondering before I waste a bunch of money on this lotion.

Is mixing 1 part .1% retin a to 2 parts body lotion going to cause oxidation of tretinoin?
Whats the reason for mixing it? To dilute it? Because that is essentially what you will be doing. I wouldn't "mix" it all at once. If you are wanting to mix RA and lotion, I would put equal parts on each hand and mix if you must, and or, apply the RA then layer lotion over it. @Levandlovely

#925 ·
Whats the reason for mixing it? To dilute it? Because that is essentially what you will be doing. I wouldn't "mix" it all at once. If you are wanting to mix RA and lotion, I would put equal parts on each hand and mix if you must, and or, apply the RA then layer lotion over it. @Levandlovely
Yes I am trying to dilute it, I can handle .1% on my face with ease but I've built up to it. For my body I want to go for .025%.

I got 20oz of the stuff!
Hi I’m new here I’m around nc55/50 and I’m trying to get to nc42. Do you know natural cream and lotions I could use to lighten me a few shades?

#924 · (Edited)
Hey guys! I am back after several years. Lol. Just came to let everybody know I'm back to my old lightening regime and products and will be posting my results. I'm using Pretty Biznez. Along with vitamin c 500 mg pills, gluthione 250 mg pills, kogic/gluta soap, and nubian heritage honey blackseed body wash. Exact things I used years ago. The lazy lightener's regime. So I just received my new big ass 32 oz jar. It was $200 and $42 for express shipping. Yup, it's expensive as hell and yup, I was desperate. Nothing else has worked so far. So this is it. Anyway, can't wait to have my flawless face back and I'm already lightening from my pill dosage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.