Skin Care Talk banner

Weird plastic surgery

52K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  hare567 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, I have this huge problems. I have muscular arms, not like Serena Williams but they muscular tough. I know lots of people say, I should be proud but I'm not! I don't feel comfortable and I would love one day to wear sleeveles shirts. So I'm considering surgery. I haven't heard about that type of surgery, so I would like to ask if anyone knows a surgeon that does this type of surgery.
Thank you!

#3 ·
Emm I heard of several types of minimising muscle surgeries, but the techniques were new and not reliable enough... needs more research to verify its safety...
I read this as I was looking into muscle correction procedures for my mummy...

Better to visit a doctor that offers free consultations and see what they've got to say... then dig VERY hard to research its side effects (don't expect the dr to tell you the full truth
)

#9 ·
I am 54 and I work out hard to maintain muscularity so I can keep my metabolism working in high gear. It definitely helps you maintain a healthy weight especially at my stage in life. If you take away your natural muscle don't be surprised if it becomes increasingly hard for you to maintain your weight and not put on fat. Personally I'd rather have muscular arms. I think when you get older you will regret your decision but to each his own. Good luck.

#10 ·
I have a tendency to bulk up too in the arms, ever since I was a swimmer. I have big arms and they did achieve a smaller scale when I lost 25lbs. I learned to do more reps and less wts for a toned appearance. . This worked for me.
Here is a thought. Why not try to have a sport trainer help you out.? I know you can't spot reduce, but maybe doing more yoga which lengthens your muscle, might slim your arms down??.
Have you ever had your blood work done on your hormones?
There has to be other alternatives for you other than surgical removing some of the muscle.

Actually, I think muscle look good on women.

#11 ·
Yoga doesn't lengthen the muscle at rest it simply makes it more flexible, the length is determined by the attachment points on the bones, and bones don't generally grow in adulthood. Before you consider muscle reduction surgery if such a thing is possible, I would suggest you spend a lot of time researching the structure-function relationship of each head of the triceps and biceps muscles. If you mean the part of your arms that makes your shoulders seem broader, you might be thinking of the deltoid so research that also. The biceps and triceps flex and extend the elbow joint AND assist with pushing and pulling moves AND movement of the arms generally aids balance. You probably won't be able to open a door, lift a mug of coffee or glass of water, shower, push a shopping trolley at least in the early stages of recovery. You really want someone to take you to the bathroom, pull your trousers and underwear down, wipe your backside? Can you stand up from a low sofa or get out of bed without pushing with or swinging your arms for momentum? A LOT of people cannot.

If you want to reduce the muscle mass naturally try combining a reduced calorie/ low protein diet (within medically safe boundaries remembering the heart is a muscle), plus exercise for the lower body to maintain as much muscle there as possible. Use the arms and shoulders as little as possible, which will likely mean only driving in emergencies and taking time off work, this will be far more effective at persuading your body to cannibalise itself than low weight high reps. Not saying it's practical or fun but it's likely safer than surgery.

#16 ·
Yoga doesn't lengthen the muscle at rest it simply makes it more flexible, the length is determined by the attachment points on the bones, and bones don't generally grow in adulthood. Before you consider muscle reduction surgery if such a thing is possible, I would suggest you spend a lot of time researching the structure-function relationship of each head of the triceps and biceps muscles. If you mean the part of your arms that makes your shoulders seem broader, you might be thinking of the deltoid so research that also. The biceps and triceps flex and extend the elbow joint AND assist with pushing and pulling moves AND movement of the arms generally aids balance. You probably won't be able to open a door, lift a mug of coffee or glass of water, shower, push a shopping trolley at least in the early stages of recovery. You really want someone to take you to the bathroom, pull your trousers and underwear down, wipe your backside? Can you stand up from a low sofa or get out of bed without pushing with or swinging your arms for momentum? A LOT of people cannot.

If you want to reduce the muscle mass naturally try combining a reduced calorie/ low protein diet (within medically safe boundaries remembering the heart is a muscle), plus exercise for the lower body to maintain as much muscle there as possible. Use the arms and shoulders as little as possible, which will likely mean only driving in emergencies and taking time off work, this will be far more effective at persuading your body to cannibalise itself than low weight high reps. Not saying it's practical or fun but it's likely safer than surgery.
Firefox, Wow, I feel like you know a lot about it. I will try everything you said above. My main thing is to be able to wear sleeveless shirt without worrying about what my arms will look like. I just don't feel comfortable. I love my body except for this part.

#13 ·
I know how you feel. I don't have well defined muscle on my arms, but I'm relatively active & my arms tend to bulk up much more than they should. (And it's not even rock hard sexy muscle either. It's medium hard roundness that looks.....well, weird.) On top of that, my shoulders are straight and square. There is NO slope at all--there's just neck, and then both sides just go straight across. My high school drama class actually nick named me "linebacker" because of it.

I can't promise you that you won't learn to love it, but I can say that I learned to love my upper body. Give it some time! You might eventually me proud of your genes. But if not, just make sure you understand how it's going to effect your body in the future. Good luck!

#15 ·
Thank you everyone for your help. I was born with muscles . My dad is very muscuclar and I got it from him. Ever since I was born I never felt comfortable because well the others made me feel that way. That's why it's so hard for me to embrace my muscles. I feel like I'm not fully a woman.

#27 ·
I really like that first dress Fawnie....nice.

Muscular arms are not easy to obtain for the vast majority of women.

Quote: I have curves and a big butt.

Build some muscle to balance and lean out....is good.

Firefox

Quote: I received the odd spiteful comment through my teens and twenties about my AA cup boobs

You and I both....but *pfft* so what?
That's what pecs are for...lift and separate...

#28 ·
I wish ... v slight build despite being average height so epically failed to achieve hypertrophy on the top half: had better results with the Flexi-bar than traditional resistance training.
On the plus side my nips are exactly where they were twenty years ago not down around my belly button, and Mariebai10 won't have her the back of her arms flapping in the wind by her forties.

You and I both....but *pfft* so what?
That's what pecs are for...lift and separate...

#29 ·
Quote: On the plus side my nips are exactly where they were twenty years ago not down around my belly button, and Mariebai10 won't have her the back of her arms flapping in the wind by her forties.

*TCHA*

The silver lining....

Quote: epically failed to achieve hypertrophy on the top half

heheh....if we were training together....mmmmhmmmm....me thinks would be able to shock the system into growth....mmmm...yes...but it would hurt. lol

Women in general...lower body can easily be equal in strength to a male, but upper body...mostly not. Easy to bulk up , quads etc. etc...but the rest...not so. I was freakishly powerful in the legs, upper body was not bad...now it's all lame...but years ago....*Freak* strength....but didn't look it...just lean. Would get stopped by people to comment on my quads for cuts...now...*meh* ....lol...old fart.

Lower back was a christmas tree,,,lats clear and sharp..and me bewbies...I could flip them up one at time just flexing....LOL TMI...but oh well...we're mostly girls here...and I like muscles. So,...80% is diet...20% is training. The training is the easy part.

#30 ·
Ha ha, training is supposed to hurt! I bet you are even more hardcore than my old training partner/ best girlfriend. Leg day was something to behold; stationary lunges where I got down and was NOT coming back up without the barbell gone, having to edge downstairs sideways with two hands on the rail or cave in your nose, gurning, DOMS ....

[HR][/HR] Upper body reached fatigue/ failure far too quickly and needed smaller increments in the weights. Tried whole upper twice a week, split push/ pull days once a week, supersets for same muscle group, supersets for opposing muscle groups, dropsets, pyramids, assisted reps, long rests, short rests, reversing the order, cycling hard and easy weeks, cables/ free weights/ body weight, unilateral/ bilateral .... the programmes worked for my training partner and committed clients but not *my* upper body. In the end I concluded 20% gains of next to nothing is next to nothing and just 'relaxed' into the masochism! Yup I regimented the nutrition tho supps limited to fish oils, whey shakes, creatine, HMB.

*TCHA*

The silver lining....

heheh....if we were training together....mmmmhmmmm....me thinks would be able to shock the system into growth....mmmm...yes...but it would hurt. lol

Women in general...lower body can easily be equal in strength to a male, but upper body...mostly not. Easy to bulk up , quads etc. etc...but the rest...not so. I was freakishly powerful in the legs, upper body was not bad...now it's all lame...but years ago....*Freak* strength....but didn't look it...just lean. Would get stopped by people to comment on my quads for cuts...now...*meh* ....lol...old fart.

#31 ·
I love your contributions and comments DragoN and Firefox and love the turn this thread is taking, but would love it even more if I knew what is *TCHA*, TMI, DOMS, HMB. Sorry, I just joined and have no idea what you're talking about, tried to figure it out from context but no luck.

#32 ·
Sorry!
AFAIK *TCHA* is meant to be the noise/ exclamation not an acronym .... TMI = too much information, DOMS = delayed onset muscle soreness, HMB = hydroxymethyl-something-chemical, AFAIK = as far as I know. Probably clear as mud now!!

#34 ·
^^^ teehee* sorry*

I was being cheeky...but the TMI is true. Scary...but true.

I would hate to see a girl feel so terrible about muscular arms because others are jealous of her. That is so sad. I hope Mariebai10 will learn to appreciate those pipes. I would give my left testicle for those arms. Looks like I am not the only one either. Thank you Firefox to confirm such.

Quote:
stationary lunges where I got down and was NOT coming back up without the barbell gone, having to edge downstairs sideways with two hands on the rail or cave in your nose, gurning, DOMS ....

....I hear you....falling up the stair because the legs give out after a killer workout....*those were the days*....LOL. Loved it. Now...just maintenance. *sigh* no more crazy butt training....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.