Questions about -Natural Preservatives: oil soluble and water soluble
Page 1 of 3 1 2 Last

Thread: Questions about -Natural Preservatives: oil soluble and water soluble

Questions about -Natural Preservatives: oil soluble and water soluble

At Lotioncrafters they have some natural preservatives, NataPres, and Leucidal (water soluble); and PhytoCide Elderberry OS (oil soluble). The Elderberry looks very efficacious but says it is for "anhydrous (without water?) or oil containing solutions" so does oil containing mean it would be effective to use it in a solution that has both water and oil if mixed in the oil phase?

Or could I need to mix the water phase ingredients and add a water soluble natural preservative to it?... and then mix the oil phase ingredients and add the oil soluble Elderberry preservative to that? Then emulsify the two together?

Or is it only possible to use for anyhydrous or oil solutions?

Thanks for any input and suggestions. Just getting started with the DIY crafting. Would like to use natural preservatives of course when possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Good luck on your DIY crafting
    I know DragoN will be able to give you the best advise/help.

What is quite amazing about NataPres is that it contains the leucidal. However, the manufactuer of NataPres is in limited stock so I heard not a lot of people will be able to continue to use it.
    I just purchased the aspen, elderberry and leucidal SF (the new one) from formulator sample shop.
    I did go to lotioncrafters but they were limited in the knowledge and someone at formulator sample shop gave me the formulating advice i needed. you can always call them. they are affilated with the manufactuers of the leucidal i think same divison
    let mek now if i can help any (The one thing I noticed with all these retailers is that you have to purchase their min qty or dollar amount formualtor sample shop dosent have mins and that is why i went to them

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

This is also a nice natural preservative,http://www.diycosmetics.com/naturagard-ultra/ I have tried it. It's water soluble but you need to mix your phase in order to dissolve it, cause it's a bit tricky.

http://www.amazon.com/Optiphen-Natural-Preservative-8-Oz/dp/B004W0DYMK

The new "Natural"^^^

May want to look at Totarol. Heat stable and wide pH range of efficacy, not heat sensitive and an antioxidant. Teamed with Potassium sorbate 0.1% and 0.5% respectively for broad spectrum biocidal activity.

Leucidal is limited to pH 4-6 so may not be suitable for some applications.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoN View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Optiphen-Natural-Preservative-8-Oz/dp/B004W0DYMK

The new "Natural"^^^

May want to look at Totarol. Heat stable and wide pH range of efficacy, not heat sensitive and an antioxidant. Teamed with Potassium sorbate 0.1% and 0.5% respectively for broad spectrum biocidal activity.

Leucidal is limited to pH 4-6 so may not be suitable for some applications.

Phenoexyethanol is not a natural preservative.

It isn't?

5% N-acetyl-D-glucosamine , 5% Niacinamide, 5% Lemon Peel Bioferment added to Organic Jojoba Oil, Sorbitan Olivate, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Vitamin E, Algae Extract , Caprylyl Glycol, Alpha Bisabolol, polysorbate 20, Optiphen (natural preservative).

http://ncnskincare.com/best-sellers-c-25/formula-5-5-5-age-spot-remover-acid-free-exfoliator-p-27

*shrugs*

Depends who you ask I suppose.

Quote:
    Optiphen Natural Preservative Optiphen is a unique paraben-free and formaldehyde-free liquid preservative system which consists of Phenoxyethanol in an emollient base of Caprylyl Glycol. The combination of these ingredients provides optimized protection against microbial growth while imparting exceptional feel to the finished product. Optiphen is a clear liquid preservative that can be easily added directly to the formulation during pre- or post-emulsification at or below 60 degrees C(140 degrees F). There are no ph restrictions in formulating with Optiphen. Optiphen is compatible with most ingredients used in the personal care industry.

They say it IS....

Quote Originally Posted by DragoN View Post
    It isn't?

5% N-acetyl-D-glucosamine , 5% Niacinamide, 5% Lemon Peel Bioferment added to Organic Jojoba Oil, Sorbitan Olivate, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Vitamin E, Algae Extract , Caprylyl Glycol, Alpha Bisabolol, polysorbate 20, Optiphen (natural preservative).

http://ncnskincare.com/best-sellers-c-25/formula-5-5-5-age-spot-remover-acid-free-exfoliator-p-27

*shrugs*

Depends who you ask I suppose.

They say it IS....
    I'm sorry but I do not believe it, if it was natural then why they do not tell from where is derived? It might have low toxicity like potassium sorbate or geogard but still synthetic.

INCI-Name: Gluconolactone (and) Sodium Benzoate= Geogard

http://www.naturalnews.com/033726_sodium_benzoate_cancer.html
    blah blah blah.... Everything is dangerous...depends what you read.

Phenoxyethanol

Phenoxyethanol is derived from natural oil such as coconut or sage essential oil. It is a safe, effective food grade preservative which protects against bacteria and microbial contamination.

..and can be synthesized of course. Chemically...exact same thing. I didn't write that ^^^

"Natural" and preservative...*shrugs*

Hi

I like leucidal the best.

Geogard: I like and use it but I don't love it since there are some issues with it. Naturagard ultra is geogard ultra (all the small diy ingredient vendors are no longer calling it geogard because of issues with the tradename, so they all call it a variety of different names now)

I love elderberries (the herb) and it doesn't surprise me that a company made a preservative with it. Reading lc's site, I am not sure it is a broad spectrum preservative but I bet it can be used in a mix with other ingredients to provide some short term preservation at least, and maybe longer preservation, depending on what's its mixed with.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Painterly

Or could I need to mix the water phase ingredients and add a water soluble natural preservative to it?... and then mix the oil phase ingredients and add the oil soluble Elderberry preservative to that? Then emulsify the two together?

I would do it that way.

NataPres is interesting, looks like a mix of natural preservatives (honeysuckle extract has been used as a preservative, debated whether broad spectrum or not. aspen bark extract--not broad spectrum but maybe a short term preservative. and gluconolactone which is an ingredient in geogard which is a broad spectrum preservative). Too bad they are discontinuing it.

Optiphen and Phenoexyethanol are synthetic preservatives, but a lot of bigger natural based companies use it (and they call it 'natural'). I personally don't craft with them but they are some of the only synthetic preservatives I will use, when trying other crafters products.

Cheers,
    Li
    My background: environmental issues and biology, all natural & organic & vegetarian skin care formulator, natural perfumery, green business owner, Eco Living writer, anb's Eco Living & DIY Natural Beauty Formulating expert, ethnobotany, aromatherapy, western herbalism, TCM, and Ayurveda.
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements