Upper Lip hyperpigmentation - Page 2

Thread: Upper Lip hyperpigmentation

Pkul85 are you now consistently eating a low glycaemic index, anti-inflammatory diet? When you can get some money together you would be wise to get blood tests rather than prioritising your skin; whilst your self-diagnosis is plausible you do not appear to have considered the possibility of a hormone imbalance such as PCOS or insulin resistance.

You have had good advice to try vitamin C (ascorbic acid or MAP), KinNiaNag and sunscreen. IMO you should consider switching from a chemical sunscreen to a physical one for a couple of reasons: firstly the chemical version needs to be applied to clean skin under your serum so it can be absorbed, whereas physical sunscreens can be applied on top of your serum protecting the actives from UV light and allowing them to fully penetrate, secondly chemical sunscreens can be irritant which is the last thing you need with PIH. AHAs can also trigger low grade inflammation than contrinutes to PIH. Since you are on a tight budget have you considered DIYing when you run out of the Avalon product? You can purchase kits that will make you several batches from SEA. The recipes were designed by one of SCT's 'mad scientists', DragoN, you will note this is based on published research to ensure the right concentration, pH and combination of actives are present for optimum absorption and efficacy. You can even DIY a zinc oxide sunscreen for cheap if you get the bug!

"In the year of our Lord 1903, in the meat packing plants off the shores of the sea, Stood a young man at his slaughter post a newby by his side, He said grind it up and ship it out doesn't matter what's inside, With poison bread to kill the rats, an effective tool of trade ..." Flatfoot 56

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pkul85 View Post
    i feel ya sister
    Im in the exact same boat. I was fine 2 yrs ago, this came out of nowhere!
    Actually, im pretty sure i know where it came from. Weight gain= More estrogen converted to testosterone. As a result i began getting hirstuism ( male pattern hair) and so my Hair removal methods went into overdrive causing what dermatologists r now calling post inflamatory hyperpigmentation.

Nellybug- have u seen a dermatologist? because if it really is due to adrenal failure- u would have tons of other symptoms- maybe a drop in BP, weight loss, Incr blood sugar... U should really see a doc if u have hyperpigmentation. My excuse is no insurance. I would make an appt stat Im turing to forums as a first resource b/c i dont have access to medical care. I hope u do

*Edit URL removed* Yeah I have been to a dermatologist and all they wanted to do is try lasers and peels which may make it worse and would be just a temporary fix anyway. I have all the adrenal fatigue symptoms have had hormone testing and also had a naturepath diagnose me with adrenal fatigue through muscle testing...since then i have had constipation, low labido, thinning and dry skin, some hair loss, dizziness when standing, cold hands n feet, the sugar crashes due to blood sugar being all messed up and it seems to just keep adding on n on....when you have adrenal fatigue i read that even though your testosterone may be low there are these things called androgens that kinda mimic testosterone and can give you a little more facial hair then your used too. kinda sucks ...dermatologists most likely wont be able to help much this is an internal issue because i woke up over night with it as well...if it were from plucking too much dont you think it would of gradually gotten worse the more you plucked?

when i did my hormone test my estrogen was very high, I had somewhat low progesterone and low average testosterone and also wayyy below average dhea. dhea, testos., and progesterone are all made in the adrenals and estrogen is made else where so it makes sense how my hormones got all wacked out and ive noticed the last couple years my lip hair had gotten a little worse then it had been before. its really like a huge cycle. bums me out sooo bad. ahhhhh! I just wanna go outside and i usta be able to tan occasionally and have pretty skin now i havta be a pale and never play outside...

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Nellybug, it's a step in the right direction to helping your melasma isn't it? After all they say melasma should also be treated from the inside.
    I have melasma under my eyes & also upper lip. I will be having my hormones tested as well. Even though I think the upper lip was due to waxing & not
    wearing sunscreen & the rest from the sun.
    Now that you have your hormone test results, what will you be doing to help your melasma?

Well i need to go test my thyroid because i read that with adrenal fatigue it can effect your thyroid as well and i hear alot of the dark skin on the face is due to some kind of thyroid malfunction...so get that tested then get real serious about my diet and cutting out breads and sugars because gluten intolerance can occur with the adrenal fatigue which i am somewhat noticeing but lovvve love my breads. its gunna be a lifestyle change...i have already quit drinking caffeine and all sugary drinks as well as quitting smoking.....and the vitamins are helping so much!!! I can feel the difference in all of my body that there are some changes occuring with my hormones. hope my estrogen is going down so this melasma goes away!! I also try not to get to upset or stress which is soo hard because that causes more stress to the adrenals and makes my melasma darker! but summer is approaching fast and i have had my melasma fade probably 25% and i really dont want it to get dark again

Nellybug please don't get caught up in random theories about hormone imbalances or start cutting out whole food groups without medical advice. Some naturopaths are highly knowledgeable but too many are quacks. Simply begin with an anti-inflammatory, low glycaemic index diet that meets or exceeds all your government's recommendations for healthy eating. This is scientifically proven to reduce the risks of a raft of health problems, help balance hormones and blood sugar, improve various skin complaints, reduce stress and increase energy levels. Fibre and essential fatty acid intake will likely have more effect on your hormone levels than any vitamin pill.

Most people who self-diagnose gluten intolerance actually have a far more simple issue: a history of feeding the bad bacteria in their gut plus peaking and troughing their blood sugar with white refined grains and/ or excessive portion sizes for their activity levels. Wheat is not the enemy, it's all the processed rubbish it happens to be included in. Bread is not the enemy either, just limit the portion sizes, limit the frequency, choose stoneground granary or wholemeal pitta, always combine with a little protein, healthy fats and plenty of veggies or salad. I could tell you simply from years of experience (I work in lifestyle healthcare) who does and who does not eat the wrong stuff/ exercise/ smoke, I don't need to do any muscle testing just speak with and observe my clients for a short period (eg. where they carry their weight, skin quality). All the symptoms you mention could perfectly well be the result of your poor lifestyle, it is great you have made some big changes but your body can take time to adjust from relying on nicotine and sugar for energy. Nicotine, caffeine and excessive sugar are all laxatives, so constipation can simply be the result of cutting back on these.

"In the year of our Lord 1903, in the meat packing plants off the shores of the sea, Stood a young man at his slaughter post a newby by his side, He said grind it up and ship it out doesn't matter what's inside, With poison bread to kill the rats, an effective tool of trade ..." Flatfoot 56

I have the same problem. I consulted a dermatologist and found out it is called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). Basically, the skin becomes inflammed and then becomes darker. Inflammation may be occuring when the hair is pulled out. She told me using a shaver with teeth (like those in tv commercials) is usually a safe way to remove hair without causing trauma to the skin. I have been using 4% hydroquinone (prescription) in the evenings and have seen a great improvement. Wearing sun block (with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide) is very important when on hydroquinone. It will take take for the pigmentation to fade and if the skin is traumatize again, pigment will reappear. Good luck!

Anyone combat this with peels? I am eyeing LA 40% but don't want to burn such thin skin ...
    Still thinking about a new regimen ...

Advise: If you don't mind me asking what is your background? I ask because I'm brown skin and have tried all sorts of hydroquinone (prescription mixes) and have not
    seen any improvement...instead it will lighten the area around my pigment. I did have success a LONG time ago when i first used HQ cream it was a 8% mix
    but I'm too scared to continue using HQ because I believe later on it makes the pigment look greyish in indoor lighting I've noticed.
    Is it just HQ you are using? I'm glad you are seeing improvement

Penguin - I did order a LA peel from the makeup artist choice website but haven't used it yet...I'm currently using mandelic acid peel and have seen minor improvement (only used it about 3 times). Will keep you guys updated.

Pkul85 - Have u been having any improvement in your melasma with the vitamin c?

I have brown skin too. I got 4% hydroquinone by prescription from a dermatologist. I only apply a very small layer to the affected area in the evening. I use sunscreen during the day. There is aside effect to using hydroquinone called ochronosis. This very rare, but is in the literature. She has been in the field for more than 20 yrs and has not even seen one case.

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements