Homemade INFUSED Rosewater HELP!

Thread: Homemade INFUSED Rosewater HELP!

Homemade INFUSED Rosewater HELP!

Okay, so today I plucked all of my roses and buds from their bushes (Bright pink and Yellow Knockout Roses). I decided it was time to give making rosewater a try. I did not do the distilled version (inverted pot lid) BUT the time saving infused version.

I put 6 cups of water into a stainless steel pot and 6 cups of tightly packed roses and buds. NO stems, leaves, etc... Brought to a simmer and turned off the heat...let steep for an hour. Roses lost ALL their color and I strained and squeezed the roses then poured into Mason jars. The color is not what I expected, so I have added a pic and want to know what you think!

ALSO, I have VERY dry skin and wanted to use a rosewater vitamin C spray on my body before my daily dose of an oil concoction (moisturizer). When I added the rosewater to my vitamin C...it turned PINK! Very pretty BUT Is this reaction between the rosewater and C crystals okay and is this okay to use on my skin? I assume so, but I AM a novice and wanted to know for sure.

Again...A BIG Thank in advance!!!!

ROSEWATER WITH VITAMIN C PLAIN ROSEWATER

Best Regards,
    Marissa

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Marissa, I don't know the answers, but they are both very pretty!

Did you use a preservative?
    Theresa - 47 years beautiful

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Take tmeyer advice...........use a preservative if you didn't. Then it will be perfect- There are several members who use Vit C in a spray bottle mixed with distilled. Good for you, going the extra mile to be creative with your rose buds.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

Thanks you all. No preservative. I'd really like to keep it as natural as possible. Is the turning pink reaction when hitting ascorbic acid powder normal?
    Best Regards,
    Marissa

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa View Post
    Thanks you all. No preservative. I'd really like to keep it as natural as possible. Is the turning pink reaction when hitting ascorbic acid powder normal?
    I am sure it is completely normal............most rose waters have a pink tint. If no preservative, I would keep it in the fridge and use it within a week.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

I would agree about the preservatives. Any time water is involved, you easily run the risk of contamination.

Does anyone have any idea why the original brown colored rose water turned pink when it hit the vitamin c powder? Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Marissa

I would guess that the petals oxidised in the water and the vitamin C mopped up much of the oxidisation
    And they do look very pretty!

Hi

If you don't use a preservative, the shelf life of an infusion is only a few days and it must be refrigerated. For a longer shelf life you can freeze the infusion.

The color change is fine, it's probably the anthocyanins reacting with the acid.

HTH!

Cheers,
    Li
    My background: environmental issues and biology, all natural & organic & vegetarian skin care formulator, natural perfumery, green business owner, Eco Living writer, anb's Eco Living & DIY Natural Beauty Formulating expert, ethnobotany, aromatherapy, western herbalism, TCM, and Ayurveda.
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements