Skin Care Talk banner

If you need to ask a Quick Question about Skin Lightening Products, etc Post it Here:)

4M views 40K replies 2K participants last post by  mermaidgirl3000 
#1 ·
If you need to ask a Quick Question about Skin Lightening Products, etc Post it Here:)

This thread could be useful for someone that needs to ask a question about skin lightening instead of making a new thread. And if you know the answer you could quote their question and answer it for them. I hope this is making sense.LOL

#39,081 ·
Thankyou for your quick response @gymrat I read that bearberry comes from hydroquinone, so does this mean I need to take breaks while using the lotion?

Also do I just add the lighteners to the Amlactin using tablespoons? (just like I would if I was adding LA) or is the method more complicated?
@Lunabrown bearberry isn't going to work like HQ, they are totally different ingredients. I personally don't see a reason to take a break from bearberry. HQ I take a break from but that's only because I live where the sun will beat you if you don't......so rather then fighting it, I stop my HQ mix in the summer and pick it back up once summer is over.

Each ingredient has a "usage rate" meaning how much to use when formulating. Tell me exactly what you want to use I can help you with mixing, amounts, etc. Complicated is what you make it.......if you pick things that are water soluble, they are much easier to work with because most lotions are water based. If you work with things that are oil soluble you just have to find oil based products to use them with which can sometimes get challenging. pH can be a factor but only when using certain ingredients Vit C etc. What you are wanting to use isn't complicated in my opinion.......I have made my share of complicated things so I would be honest if I thought it wasn't anything you wanted to take on.
@gymrat hmm as I’ve never done anything like this before I’m not sure on percentages tbh ... I don’t want it to be too high incase of skin irritation but I want a good amount to produce results. I was looking online for more information about percentages but I couldn’t find anything. But then On makingcosmetics it says the percentage of Bearberry extract in a lightening cream should be 4-8% and 1% in exfoliants and for mulberry 3%-5%. Initially i was thinking 5% Bearberry and 5% Mulberry - do you think that’s a good percentage to begin with?
I’ll be using 225g/7.9oz of Amlactin

#39,082 ·
@gymrat hmm as I’ve never done anything like this before I’m not sure on percentages tbh ... I don’t want it to be too high incase of skin irritation but I want a good amount to produce results. I was looking online for more information about percentages but I couldn’t find anything. But then On makingcosmetics it says the percentage of Bearberry extract in a lightening cream should be 4-8% and 1% in exfoliants and for mulberry 3%-5%. Initially i was thinking 5% Bearberry and 5% Mulberry - do you think that’s a good percentage to begin with?
I’ll be using 225g/7.9oz of Amlactin
Yes, so basically what that's telling you is its safe to use anywhere from 4-8% EXCEPT when using with an exfoliant, which you will be because you are using Amlactin as your base. So you can only use Bearberry at 1%. Still fine to use it in your Amlactin, but you have to only use 1%.

Mulberry you can totally go with 5%.

#39,084 ·
@gymrat hmm as I’️ve never done anything like this before I’️m not sure on percentages tbh ... I don’️t want it to be too high incase of skin irritation but I want a good amount to produce results. I was looking online for more information about percentages but I couldn’️t find anything. But then On makingcosmetics it says the percentage of Bearberry extract in a lightening cream should be 4-8% and 1% in exfoliants and for mulberry 3%-5%. Initially i was thinking 5% Bearberry and 5% Mulberry - do you think that’️s a good percentage to begin with?
I’️ll be using 225g/7.9oz of Amlactin
Yes, so basically what that's telling you is its safe to use anywhere from 4-8% EXCEPT when using with an exfoliant, which you will be because you are using Amlactin as your base. So you can only use Bearberry at 1%. Still fine to use it in your Amlactin, but you have to only use 1%.

Mulberry you can totally go with 5%.
@gymrat looool I’m silly, forgot Amlactin has lactic acid. Alright so do you know how many tea spoons or table spoons I’ll need to add of each ingredient please?

#39,085 ·
@gymrat looool I’m silly, forgot Amlactin has lactic acid. Alright so do you know how many tea spoons or table spoons I’ll need to add of each ingredient please?
Do you have your ingredients? If so, you will need 2.24 grams (1/2 teaspoon) of Bearberry, 11.20 grams (2 1/4 teaspoons) Mulberry, and take a little bit out of your Amlactin because you will want to use 211 grams of it, I believe you said it was 225 grm bottle, so take out about 3 teaspoons for the Amlactin before you get started. I would take out the Amlactin place it in a bowl or whatever then mix your ingredients up in it really well. Either leave it in a jar to apply and or put back in its original container. If you need more info or help, just ask @Lunabrown

#39,087 ·
It was 103 degrees today and my ass went to the botanical gardens :roflmao: Hoping for no setbacks, cause my cheap self was skimping on the sun screen today.

My real question is... HOW do y'all not go broke on using sunscreen? I luckily work from home, so I out of direct sunlight most days, but when I go out, it takes me 10 minutes to slather myself in sunscreen... And our summers are 95-110 degrees F here...

Do you make it yourself? Is there a way to make a barrel of sunscreen for pennies on the dollar??
I feel like I'm going broke trying to balance buying all these creams and serums and also the skin building oils AND using up half a bottle of sunscreen every week or two.

#39,088 ·
@gymrat looool I’️m silly, forgot Amlactin has lactic acid. Alright so do you know how many tea spoons or table spoons I’️ll need to add of each ingredient please?
Do you have your ingredients? If so, you will need 2.24 grams (1/2 teaspoon) of Bearberry, 11.20 grams (2 1/4 teaspoons) Mulberry, and take a little bit out of your Amlactin because you will want to use 211 grams of it, I believe you said it was 225 grm bottle, so take out about 3 teaspoons for the Amlactin before you get started. I would take out the Amlactin place it in a bowl or whatever then mix your ingredients up in it really well. Either leave it in a jar to apply and or put back in its original container. If you need more info or help, just ask @Lunabrown
Alright, Thankyou so much @gymrat

#39,090 · (Edited)
@Aadaa

I literally opened up IKB serum to smell that I purchased directly from the Mitchell Brands Website. "IKB Brightening serum with Vitamin C" is on the label along with other stuff.

The smell is similar to the IKB gel and lotion from the same line. It has a cheap floral smell along with a "lightening cream smell" paired with a bit of that smell of cleaner or a hair styling product if you know what I mean.

Thanks for letting me know @PinotNoir! I don't think mine was legitimate!

#39,091 ·
Has anyone noticed a change in the formula for the Precious Brightening Gel? The one I am used to using from my bss is very thick and clear, but the one I recently purchased is runny and slightly cloudy. I returned it and purchased a new tube but it was the same; I had to stop using it because it was very drying, unlike the normal one.

#39,094 ·
Quick question. Is gel formulation stronger and faster than cream formulation?
Are you asking about RA gel vs cream? Only use cream version is your skin is super dry. Gel is a much better choice for normal/combo/oily and or acne prone. You want to stay away from cream version is acne prone. @Anny83

#39,096 ·
Thanks @gymrat . Not only for RA, all products generally. U know I've heard people say gels work faster than cream ect..
No, not true....just a matter of preference. Cream is typically heavier than a gel version, but doesn't necessarily mean one works faster then the other. Just different consistency. Gel versions typically are a hyaluronic acid base, more a watery consistency. Creams are just thicker, could be oil based, could be water based, but nonetheless they work equally the same if they contain the same active ingredients. But again, if you are acne prone, normal/combo skin, best to stay away from any cream version. Creams work better for those with dry skin. @Anny83

#39,097 ·
No, not true....just a matter of preference. Cream is typically heavier than a gel version, but doesn't necessarily mean one works faster then the other. Just different consistency. Gel versions typically are a hyaluronic acid base, more a watery consistency. Creams are just thicker, could be oil based, could be water based, but nonetheless they work equally the same if they contain the same active ingredients. But again, if you are acne prone, normal/combo skin, best to stay away from any cream version. Creams work better for those with dry skin. @Anny83
Thanks @gymrat :kisskiss:. U sure know your beans haha. Am more enlightened now. Thanks again