Skin Care Talk banner

OCM drying my skin: please help!!!

10K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  mzmir 
#1 ·
I really need some help from OCM pros!

I started OCM as my skin has got really problematic lately. I developed melasma so I got off the pill, now 6 months later the acne I had in my teens has returned. Now my skin is the worst its ever been :(

Read great things about OCM so decided to give it a try. I have started with 10% castor oil, 10% polysorbate 80, 80% EVOO. I went with this because my skin is combination: a little dry with oily t-zone. It's also quite sensitive so I didn't want to do the steaming/face cloth method so I added the poly.

The problem is my skin is now SO DRY! It feels really tight and fine lines are accentuated, and my eyelids are super dry and inflamed.

I have been using this cleanser twice a day - I know most people say only do it at night but the thing is I apply an acne treatment + moisturiser at night so in the morning I need to clean my face with more than water right?

I thought the OCM would moisturise my skin but it feels like the sahara!

Please help me! I really want this to work but don't know what to do next :(

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi tmeyer66

Thanks for your reply! The thing is I use water resistant zinc sunscreen + water resistant mineral makeup, so I need oil to get it off properly. So what should I use to wash my face at night if not OCM every night?

Are there more moisturising oils you would recommend?

#8 ·
Hi tmeyer66

Thanks for your reply! The thing is I use water resistant zinc sunscreen + water resistant mineral makeup, so I need oil to get it off properly. So what should I use to wash my face at night if not OCM every night?

Are there more moisturising oils you would recommend?
Hi. I'd say cut back the OCM to every other night. As far as cleansers are concerned it depends on what kind of skin you have. Oil isn't the only thing that will remove the sunscreen. I use Heather Blossom Cleanser from Garden of Wisdom on the nights I don't do OCM. They have several different ones tailored to just about every skin concern known. It isn't necessary to cleanse the skin twice daily. In the morning you can just rinse with luke warm water provided that you washed your face the night before. It is possible to over wash which also can lead to break outs and dryness.

#4 ·
Hi

Oils do not moisturize (they work by holding moisture to the skin).

I would add a hydrating toner and maybe a water based serum to your routine (the combination of waters plus oils creates a moisturizer). I suggest a hydrosol like rose hydrosol.

Some people find castor oil to be drying, maybe try lowering the amount. Or try different oils (different oils have different properties).

Personally with cleansing oils, I usually follow with another (non-drying) cleanser. Maybe use the oils to remove makeup, but then follow with another cleanser.

HTH!

Cheers,
Li

#10 ·
How are you going Marzipan?

Just a little warning - be very careful with OCM. I've been suffering from the side effects of OCM for months now and I tried a brand that was formulated for acne prone skin. My skin was free of acne when I started and I've been struggling to clear it ever since.
I was the same as you - my skin got very very very dry to the point that I wasn't showering because the heat was too much for my skin.
It really has been a disaster.
I hope things turn out better for you than it did for me.

#12 ·
I really need some help from OCM pros!  I started OCM as my skin has got really problematic lately. I developed melasma so I got off the pill, now 6 months later the acne I had in my teens has returned. Now my skin is the worst its ever been :( Read great things about OCM so decided to give it a try. I have started with 10% castor oil, 10% polysorbate 80, 80% EVOO. I went with this because my skin is combination: a little dry with oily t-zone. It's also quite sensitive so I didn't want to do the steaming/face cloth method so I added the poly.  The problem is my skin is now SO DRY! It feels really tight and fine lines are accentuated, and my eyelids are super dry and inflamed.  I have been using this cleanser twice a day - I know most people say only do it at night but the thing is I apply an acne treatment + moisturiser at night so in the morning I need to clean my face with more than water right?  I thought the OCM would moisturise my skin but it feels like the sahara!  Please help me! I really want this to work but don't know what to do next :( 
Take the Castor Oil out. It has a drying affect.

#13 ·
The right oils will moisturize your skin just as the wring ones will dry the skin. Take the Castor Oil out. It's a known drying oil. You can add avocado oil if you like and a little vitamin E oil for added measure. There are several other oil substitute such as Sunflower or Safflower Oli mixed to Olive Oli and Polpysorbate. You should experience a fine moisterized skin. But no Castor Oil.
I really need some help from OCM pros!  I started OCM as my skin has got really problematic lately. I developed melasma so I got off the pill, now 6 months later the acne I had in my teens has returned. Now my skin is the worst its ever been :( Read great things about OCM so decided to give it a try. I have started with 10% castor oil, 10% polysorbate 80, 80% EVOO. I went with this because my skin is combination: a little dry with oily t-zone. It's also quite sensitive so I didn't want to do the steaming/face cloth method so I added the poly.  The problem is my skin is now SO DRY! It feels really tight and fine lines are accentuated, and my eyelids are super dry and inflamed.  I have been using this cleanser twice a day - I know most people say only do it at night but the thing is I apply an acne treatment + moisturiser at night so in the morning I need to clean my face with more than water right?  I thought the OCM would moisturise my skin but it feels like the sahara!  Please help me! I really want this to work but don't know what to do next :( 

#14 ·
Hi Sakura,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I just saw your post. My skin has recovered from the dryness but I'm on roaccutane now trying to fix up the mess that the oils did to my skin. It was a double hit - I had very very dry skin and also lots of blocked pores. I'm only taking half the dose of roaccutane and my skin is not nearly as dry as when I was using oils. I really don't understand how my skin was so dry but also covered in white heads. I couldn't take antibiotics so the only option was roaccutane. All my spots have nearly gone but it will be a long time (if ever) my skin recovers fully from the spots.

I learnt a lot about my skin in the process but it came at a big cost!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.