Skin Care Talk banner

Whats your favorite oil?

40K views 111 replies 44 participants last post by  TRIUMPH 
#1 ·
I love olive and avocado because its really moisturizing! I love coconut because its light, and I love tea tree for the anti acne.
What do you like, and how do you apply it?

Thank you :D

#3 ·
EPO, borage, coconut and hemp. EPO and borage are staples for diy skincare, for me, anyway. Coconut and hemp are 2 oils i like for hair. It would be too difficult to choose just one.

#5 ·
hey Gymmie,

What do you know about maracuja (passion fruit seed oil)... sounds like it may worth looking into. I haven't done much research on it. wondering if anyone has tried it,

#7 ·
hey Gymmie, What do you know about maracuja (passion fruit seed oil)...  sounds like it may worth looking into.  I haven't done much research on it.  wondering if anyone has tried it,
Hi Laura, I have maracuja oil (Tartes version). I have never used it to DIY, I use it on its own like you would a moisturizer. I love oils. I am one of those that was SO against using them too..........but once I did, and found several that work for me, I am hooked !!

#15 ·
Argan, grapeseed, and jojoba oil are staples for me. Occasionally I do reach for meadowfoam or coconut when my skin is feeling drier. I've been curious about passion fruit seed (maracuja) oil lately and may try that out soon. I hear nothing but good things about it.

#16 ·
OMG, I'm an oil ho..

Jojoba & Meadowfoam (never ending shelf life and great for skin)
Walnut, Hemp, Evening Primrose, Sesame (high in linoleic fatty acids + vitamins and great for skin barrier health & repair)
Rice Bran & Virgin Palm (high in vitamins A & E)
Argan & Coconut (hair doesn't have a better friend)
Sweet Almond (the DIY'ers best friend.. lovely, lightweight & just gorgeous)

Anyhoo, those are my top performers...
(Love grapeseed too, but it has a miserably short shelf life..).

#17 ·
Argan, grapeseed, and jojoba oil are staples for me. Occasionally I do reach for meadowfoam or coconut when my skin is feeling drier. I've been curious about passion fruit seed (maracuja) oil lately and may try that out soon. I hear nothing but good things about it. :)
QtPie, be sure to let us know what you think about maracula oil once you've tried it.
OMG, I'm an oil ho.. Jojoba & Meadowfoam (never ending shelf life and great for skin) Walnut, Hemp, Evening Primrose, Sesame (high in linoleic fatty acids + vitamins and great for skin barrier health & repair) Rice Bran & Virgin Palm (high in vitamins A & E) Argan & Coconut (hair doesn't have a better friend) Sweet Almond (the DIY'ers best friend.. lovely, lightweight & just gorgeous) Anyhoo, those are my top performers...:) (Love grapeseed too, but it has a miserably short shelf life..).
Kassy, I have to agree, Jojoba and Meadowfoam, I love them both very much!! Macadamia Nut comes next in the running....

#19 ·
Do any of you like to make water free serums using JUST oils, and a couple of oil soluble actives? I got into a bit of that when I wanted something more pure to use in conjunction with dermarolling.

I typically used a base of the most beneficial oils, with oil soluble vitamin A & C, CoQ10 and Alpha Lipoic Acid.. (Love ALA because it's soluble in water OR oil.. hate the smell of it though.)

#20 ·
Do any of you like to make water free serums using JUST oils, and a couple of oil soluble actives?  I got into a bit of that when I wanted something more pure to use in conjunction with dermarolling. I typically used a base of the most beneficial oils, with oil soluble vitamin A & C, CoQ10 and Alpha Lipoic Acid.. (Love ALA because it's soluble in water OR oil.. hate the smell of it though.)
Kassy I have never tried making a serum with just oils. Whats your recipe for something like this?? ALA..........where are you getting this from? Bulkactives??

#24 ·
Kassy or Gymmie...Have you gotten this from PureBulk?  Is my likely source and i have been reading up on it.
Hi Laura, no I haven't ever tried that before. If you end up getting it, let me know how it works for you and how your using it. I order from PB often, I just have never ordered this particular item before.

#26 ·
Pure 100% jojoba oil works wonders for my face. I generously massage it onto face with dry hands at the end of the day then wash it away with a foaming salicylic acid wash. That combination clears oil, dirt, and clogged pores nicely; also ensures the proper removal of sunscreen products.

#28 ·
Gymmie!!!!! I use the jojoba oil and aveeno clear complexion foaming cleanser to take off all clogged pores at night. For sunscreen: I'm using Elta MD Clear SPF 46 at the moment because it has 5% niacinamide in it and its very light. I was using ZINC ONLY sunscreens for a while but it got hard because they left a flaky, shiny and balled up finish. What would you and others recommend for a good high protection sunscreen that doesn't have the above mentioned problems?

#30 ·
Someone was just asking about the Elta MD Clear ........this is would be a great place for you to give your feedback on it!! I will take you back to a WONDERFUL thread you started Light...........and it is still alive today!! As for SS, I am a huge Burnout fan. With Fall/Winter coming, I think I will head back to Pratima (when it becomes available again) I received an email yesterday, it should be back in stock by the end of next week. http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/22647/zinc-oxide-physical-sunscreen-list

#29 ·
LNL...more handsome than ever! Delighted to see YOU. Still trying to win the aging war here. Using Pratima neem rose SS 30 SPF. hard to get from pratima still. :)

#33 ·
I use a mixture of sweet almond+rosehip oil+vit e oil+ neroli essential oil.i've seen an improvement in just a few days.I also do the tanaka +suqqu gankin massage after applying the oil. is it better to use single oils or multiple oil blends? Will using multiple blended oils cancel each other's benefits or compound them? thanks!

#35 ·
I love olive and avocado because its really moisturizing! I love coconut because its light, and I love tea tree for the anti acne.
What do you like, and how do you apply it?

Thank you :D
Can't believe I missed this thread! Carrier and essential oils are some of my favorite ingredients!

I love them all-seriously I have not used one that I didn't like (I've used well over 120 different kinds over the years). But the ones I like for my own skin (balanced but can get dehydrated) are camellia and kukui. During the winter I love pumpkin seed. I am also really loving strawberry and tomato too (though tomato needs to be way way diluted because of its super strong scent). Passionfruit as others have mentioned is lovely. So many great oils--pomegranate, kiwi, meadowfoam, marula, baobab, blueberry, watermelon, etc!

Just saw someone listed butters too--shea butter is absolutely one of my most favorite ingredients, ever!

Just a few tidbits of information.
Oils do not moisturize by themselves, so be sure to apply to damp skin (oils+waters=moisturizer). Fractionated coconut oil is light but (regular) coconut oil is a heavy oil (rate of absorption and weight of the oil are connected but different things). Be sure to dilute the tea tree essential oil, especially if using it daily, long term for acne.

For facial care, apply anywhere from 2 to 5 drops or more to damp skin (dampen skin with water, your toner, aloe, a hydrosols, etc).

HTH!

Cheers,
Li

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.