What are some of your favorite recipes? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: What are some of your favorite recipes?

serving size depends on how big you cut them. i cut them into 16 pieces about 2.5 inches x 2.5inches

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Oh wow.........I love shortbread anything. I will be making this one!!
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

Baklava (Turkish)

serving:10+ unless you end up eating more than half

Ingredients:
    For the Filling:

• 1 cup ground pistachios
    • 1 cup ground almonds
    • 1 cup ground walnuts
    • 1/4 cup icing or powdered sugar
    • 2-3 tbsp bread crumbs (helps to bind the filling)
    • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1 tsp cardamom powdered

For the syrup

• 2 cups sugar
    • 1.5 cups water
    • a stick of cinnamon and cardamom
    • 1 tbsp real lemon juice

For the cover

• 150 grams unsalted butter, melted

12 oz packet filo pastry(375g)

Directions:

1. Place all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well
    2. In a pan mix sugar, water and lemon juice and stir to dissolve all sugar granules. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for around 10-15 minutes while stirring once in a while or until one-string consistency. To check for one string consistency, dip a spoon into the simmering syrup and wipe off of the back of the spoon with fingers (wait a minute so the syrup on the spoon cools a bit!).One thread should form when you feel the syrup between your index finger and thumb. Pretend you a have crab claws and you're playing with a rubber band lol. Set this aside.
    3. Heavily butter a baking dish (a glass 12 x 10 rectangular shape is what i used).
    4. Place one sheet of filo inside the dish and with a brush, butter the filo sheet well. Then add a second filo sheet and brush this melted butter as well. And then a third etc, until you have place about 10 sheets.
    5. After buttering the 10th sheet, add your filling mixture.
    6. Top off another 10 filo sheets, remembering to butter each one as you did before.
    7. Score lightly with a sharp knife into diamond shapes. You shouldn't be cutting it all the way through, just until you get midway.
    8. Pour hot butter over the top, a 4-5 tablespoons not too much. The butter should be hot.
    9. Bake in a preheated oven of 170 C for about 50 min. The top should be a rich golden brown, if not bake for another 10 minutes. Keep an eye on these at this time!
    10. Take out of oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. This part is important!
    11. Pour the syrup on top with a spoon taking care that the syrup had spread everywhere. If you pour the syrup right after you take the baklavas out of the oven you'll get a soggy mess!
    12. Let cool for about 8 hours. Re-cut with a sharp knife along the scored lines. 8 hours seems too long to wait but trust me its waaaay better the longer you wait.

ENJOY!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Oh wow.........I love shortbread anything. I will be making this one!!
    YAAAY!! m

oops! sorry guys i forgot to mention in step 2 to add the cinnamon stick and a pinch of cardamom powder to the syrup once it has been removed from the heat. my mom just told me she also uses a few tablespoons of honey when she pours the syrup on top of the baklavas (step 11).

here's an easy indian recipe for anyone interested:

Seven Cup Halwa

Ingredients:

Chickpea Flour (Besan) - 1 cup
    Sugar - 2 cups
    Heavy Cream - 1 cup
    Clarified Butter (Ghee) - 1 cup
    Shredded Coconut - 1 cup
    Choice of Dry Fruits - 1 cup, chopped
    ½ tsp grounded Cardamom Seeds
    More dry fruits and nuts for topping

Method:

1. Put the the Chickpea Flour in a heavy-bottomed pan and dry-roast on medium-low heat till it gives off a nice aroma, about 10-15 minutes. The color of the flour should be brownish. If the flour is not roasted well, the flavor of the halwa would be bitter!!
    2. Once done, transfer the Chickpea Flour into a dish and keep aside.
    3. In the same pan on medium heat, melt the Ghee and add in the chopped Dry Fruits and the shredded Coconut for 2-3 minutes.
    4. Add in the Chickpea Flour, Sugar and Heavy Cream. Mix well.
    5. Keep mixing to ensure there are no lumps and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
    6. Once it starts boiling, reduce the flame to a low and keep cooking till the mixture thickens and leaves the sides. Stir continuously.
    7. Meanwhile, grease a tray or a platter to set the halwa in.
    8. Once it has thickened and has incorporated well, transfer the mixture onto the greased tray.
    9. Garnish with dry fruits or with sliced nuts and allow to set for at least 5 hours, preferably 8 hours.
    10. Cut with a sharp greased knife and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    OMG i have all the ingredients for this right now! this is so tempting but i've been baking too much lately. i'll try this another week.

Looks really nice. Hope it's gonna be tasty when i'll try to cook it

Thank you, I know that I will cook now =)

12. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements