Skin Care Talk banner

Desperate! LA Lotion quick Q! Will I burn?

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Floreezy 
#1 ·
I made 40% LA lotion and just applied it. No tingle or burning on skin--everything feels fine but I feel a bit itchy. Is that too high of a percentage for lotion? I read a post stating that ~40% was good for beginners but another thread I just discovered recommends starting with 20% O__O Help!

I have never done any peels or masks or lotons before this.

#2 ·
40% LA lotion is a very high strength that's because you keep it on your skin for a longer period. You are at the risk of PIH
You probably read a thread about 40% LA peel which is the lowest strength you can begin with for a peel.
Imo even 20% LA lotion is very high in strength you can use 15% then maybe take it to 17% etc

Remember high % LA lotion doesn't mean faster / better results.

#3 ·
40% is for skin peels and only left on for a very short time. Please read and take notes so you won't harm your skin. What is the rush? Like when you say desperate what does that mean? Are you desperate to burn your skin, get even skin, lighter? I don't understand your goal. What I do know is that you should do lots of research before applications of chemicals you've mixed at home.

#6 ·
I did research about it--TONS. I wasn't clear in my post because I wanted an immediate response since I had already applied it. I actually bought LA weeks ago and my base lotion a month ago and waited to use it to ensure that I was off all regimes. I bought tools to measure and weight each component as well. I used an excel sheet LA lotion % calculator posted here for 20% LA lotion and used the amount of LA lotion it advised me to use. However, after I had already measured and applied it, I felt that the measurement had to be off using common sense (since I used ~10oz for a 20oz lotion). Doing the calculations by hand made me realize that I had created 40% instead, and that the online calculator was incorrect, which is why I posted if I would be ok if I had not felt any burning. I went thru the excel sheet and looked at the individual formulas cell by cell and confirmed that the computer formula inputted was incorrect.

I ended up showering immediately and took the LA lotion off.

#7 ·
Thats strange indeed, I have never used the online formula I just go by my basic chemistry class calculations which really is by volume and not by weight so it may not be accurate to the decimal but you can always add some more base lotion (V1xC1=V2xC2). Good thing you washed it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.