Skin Care Talk banner

Help! (Picture included.)

25K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  vilkoi 
#1 ·

Yes, I know, very flattering picture. *cough*
I am 19 years old and have had skin like this since perhaps 5 years back. It gets very oily but also tends to be dry at the same time (my foundation flakes at cheeks and forehead despite them being oily at the same time. Fantastic.) So I'd say combination but mostly oily skin. But my biggest problem is the redness and I am afraid I have some sort of rosacea. I do not get a lot of breakouts but there are these permanent red small splotches under my skin which do not protrude in any way but are simply just.. red.
When I went to a doctor last year, he shrugged it off and said "Oh your skin looks just fine, you're a teen and I am sure it will pass!" and that was it. I had finally built up my courage to finally go to the doctor about my biggest insecurity and he simply says that and tells me to keep moisturizing. I nagged at him for ages though and he prescribed Finacea 15% for me which I used for months, but there was no result.
So what should I do? Do any of you have any recommendations for me? Should I go back to another doctor or do you know any good products that could work for me?
I do cleanse and moisturize my face daily by the way.

See less See more
#3 ·
I stopped using Finacea after 5 months because of no results (doctor said I should see results after 1 month). My moisturizer now is Weleda Almond Soothing Facial Cream that I apply morning and night (I used The Body Shop's Tea Tree Clearing Lotion in the summer but it dries out my skin now in the winter). My cleanser is Nivea Refreshing Wash Gel, I cleanse morning and night as well. I rarely use scrub, perhaps once a month, and when I do I simply use honey and sugar and do it very gently.

#4 ·
I stopped using Finacea after 5 months because of no results (doctor said I should see results after 1 month). My moisturizer now is Weleda Almond Soothing Facial Cream that I apply morning and night (I used The Body Shop's Tea Tree Clearing Lotion in the summer but it dries out my skin now in the winter). My cleanser is Nivea Refreshing Wash Gel, I cleanse morning and night as well. I rarely use scrub, perhaps once a month, and when I do I simply use honey and sugar and do it very gently. 
What I would do is this STOP using the Tea Tree product Use a gentle cleanser Cetaphil or CeraVe both make a great one. Your moisturizer is probably ok, just apply lightly You don't need to cleanse again in the AM, as long as you have cleansed in the PM In the AM, splash your face with water DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF SCRUB And.......get back to using the Finacea!!! You may see a difference in 4 weeks but you will not see GREAT results in just 4 weeks. It will take longer than this to notice a change in your skin. This would be the same with any topical given to you. It ALL takes time. Be consistent, do not skip days, etc. Don't pick your face, try to keep your hands away the best you can. If you use the Finacea for 6 months or more and still don't see a difference, then march yourself back to the Dr and ask for another topical and or topical along with an antibiotic. To me, your skin looks irritated. And it very well could be from the Tea Tree product. Trust me, I feel your frustration, as I battled acne myself for YEARS!! It takes patience and trial and error finding what product will work for you and your skin. But it can be done, so hang in there and DON'T give up!! :hugs:

#7 ·
Quote: Originally Posted by jame1s

hi vilkoi,

I've been looking all over to try and find whats wrong with my skin and it appears we have the similar underlying blotchy/redness under our skin.
I am 23 now and it still hasn't gone, I've had it over 5 years. Plus i have it over my back aswell :(
My doctors have prescribed a topical but I really don't think that's our problem.
Its something going wrong inside i just don't know what. I thought maybe it was candida or a hormone imbalance. But i know what its like, it makes me miserable..

If you find anything that works for you i would be grateful

I feel your pain, I have tried various products and remedies throughout the years to make things better but nothing has really helped. I agree that it does feel like it's something else but god knows what, it's weird. I will definitely get back to you if I find something that helps. For now though gymrat's tips look promising and I will follow them and see if I notice any improvement. Let's hope for the best. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.