Salicylic acid

Thread: Salicylic acid

Salicylic acid

Hello.
    I want to make a 1% salicylic acid serum and would like some help. I have bought salicylic acid from Skin Essential Actives which is water soluble. If I just use distilled water, the PH won't be right, so how do I lower the PH?

AND I want to make it a bit thicker, would adding sclerotium gum work well?

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

ph can be lowered with citric acid, I like mine about 3-4 Sclerotium,HEC, or xanthum, thicken and make it less drying.

Should I add the thickener first to make the gel AND then SA or do I dissolve the SA first and then and sclerotium?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Dissolve the SA in the water first-then add the sclerotium.

Is it always like that? Dissolve the actives first, also if I wanted to make a niacinamide serum with sclerotium.

I don't know if you have used sclerotium gum, but if you have, is the best way to mix in sclerotium gum, with a electric mixer of some sort?

And thank you!

Always dissolve actives first,water soluble in water,oil soluble in oil etc.
    I do use sclerotium and other gums
    For SA I add 0.5-1% sclreotium powder to the SA water.Depends how thick you want it.( if you layer other products on top of sclerotium,it can 'ballup' and peel off when you rub it on so I don't like it too thick.)
    yes you can do the same with any watersoluble active, but a lotion or light emusified serum is nicer and can help penetration of actives- skin is lipophilic.For adding gums to lotion or cream, I make the gel first ( keep a stock solution) then add the gel to the water phase of the lotion.
    Sclerotium will hold a tiny bit of oil, you could try adding a drop or two if you'd like. HTH

Sorry... forgot the mixing part, The SA and sclero. should mix OK with lots of stirring...use a mixing gadget if you like, it will go faster.

That helped at lot, so thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by elajse View Post
    Is it always like that? Dissolve the actives first, also if I wanted to make a niacinamide serum with sclerotium. I don't know if you have used sclerotium gum, but if you have, is*the*best way to mix in sclerotium gum, with*a electric mixer of some sort? And thank you!
    What if the gum ain't available what can be done instead?

12. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements