Skin Care Talk banner

Ethno-rhinoplasty (and rhinoplasty in general) get in here

40K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  PinotNoir 
#1 ·
Anyone had it or thinking of getting their noses done? Anyone spoken to surgeons who do it? I am super curious to hear more about it from SCT.

#35 ·
People have good reason to be cautious about rhinoplasty---especially ethnic rhinoplasty. I've had two of them. And I learned the hard way that there are no guarantees of the outcome you want, even if the doctor is board certified, or experienced, or charges lot of money for the surgery. I did not get good results from my first nose job. That doctor had some very impressive photos on his website and he claimed to have had a lot of experience with ethnic noses, which I later found out was not true. I paid him quite a bit of money and he screwed up my nose. I decided to try it again years later with a different doctor, and the second time time I really did my research. I think it is important to find a surgeon who will listen to what you want and who will tell you right out whether he/she can do it. And don't be fooled by computer imaging software that they say will give you an idea of what your nose will look like post-op.

I had a nose that was just too big for my face, and I had large, flared nostrils. I would not be an easy client to please. I wanted a smaller, more defined, and nicer looking nose, but I also wanted it to look natural. I didn't want a nose that was too small, or overly defined, or too stiff and pointed. I decided on Dr. Gershenbaum in Miami. He's not cheap, but he's good. If you're looking for a Florida surgeon who can do a really good job with ethnic noses check him out. While I was under anesthesia, he found that my nose was so badly botched internally by the previous surgeon that I needed a LOT of reconstructive work (which he didn't charge me extra for). An uncomplicated closed rhinoplasty can take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Open rhinoplasty with more intricate work can take up to 4 hours or maybe a bit more, and I was under for almost twice that long because of the amount of work done on my nose. I'm now just over a month post-op and I still have a lot of swelling, but the results so far are dramatic and quite pleasing.

To anyone who's thinking about getting your nose done, don't let others discourage you with talk about vanity or selling out your cultural identity. Its your life, do what you want to do. Just do your research and don't be in a hurry to choose a doctor.

#37 ·
My face is round and I hope that buccal fat removal (combined with fillers) will help give it more definition of my cheekbones. Im not worried about my face lacking "fat". My cheeks is not where I am aging so far as I can tell.

Let us know what you think of your rhinoplasty results. I am serious about getting it in the future and I have only had a couple of consultations thus far.

#39 ·
Investing in nasal narrowing, I don't want a defined nose as I want to maintain a youthful appearance and I'm pretty much against any type of face definition. It'll take the weight out of having a bulbous tip without changing what I look like too much.

Word of warning, it's very hard to find a surgeon that can do the tip properly, some get an implant in the bridge to get that slope/triangle shape instead.

#40 · (Edited)
I think that I will definitely need at least a subtle rhinoplasty. There are new techniques these days with no under-eye bruising and less recovery time; when I am able, I'll definitely look into it. I'd just hate to get a fake-looking, super-pointy "pixie nose"...

That being said, I think a solution that I would consider is an injection rhinoplasty. Very little bruising, virtually no recovery time, and less "plastic surgery nightmare" scenarios when it is done by a seasoned professional. And if it does go awry, it's a lot easier to correct.

The idea is to make the nose look smaller...by making it bigger. I think my nose isn't actually big, it just looks big because it's rounded rather than defined and pointed. If fillers can be used in a rhinoplasty context to add height and definition to my nose, then the overall profile will appear leaner. I have seen this done in before and afters of ethnic injection rhinoplasty where the bridge and tip isn't naturally defined.

The best part is that instead of paying $6,000+, I'll pay about $800-$950. And the results will probably look more natural as well.

Whenever I get this done, might even post photos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.