Is Retinol beneficial in water based formulars?

Thread: Is Retinol beneficial in water based formulars?

Is Retinol beneficial in water based formulars?

Hi all members!

I got a question regarding vitamin a in skin care products.

For an example, in this product:
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/derma...el-8-fl-oz-gel
    Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Carbomer, Polysorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance.

How come vitamin a in its different forms (retinol etc) is used in "oil-free-fomulas" without oil?
    - I understand it like this, in order to receive the benifits from topical retinol, it needs to be dissolved into and oil base, and then (it can) be mixed with an emulsifier to be mixeable with water.
    So my question is, are the emulsifiers in the above product (carbomer and polysorbate) enough itself, without any oil added, to get the benefits from the retinol, or will the retinol just stay on the skin without any topical absorption?

I know that retinol is used for other purposes than anti-aging etc., but my question focuses on retinol in the matter of anti-aging.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

There are different forms of Vit A. Retinol, retinaldehyde, and retinyl palmitate. Poly 80 is an emulsifier. Carbomer gives you the viscosity you want, it also stabilizes the formulation plus gives it texture. This product should be absorbed into your skin. It is not a cream, but a gel. Thicker than a serum but not as thick as a lotion.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    This product should be absorbed into your skin. It is not a cream, but a gel. Thicker than a serum but not as thick as a lotion.
    Will it work, to use some cosmetic grade retinyl palmiate and mix it with some aloe vera gel (witch contains 99% water) and receive benefits?
    I am thinking about this specific example, the retinal palmiate will not start to get oxidize when mixed with water and eventually it will be absorbed by the skins own oil.
    Or am i wrong?
    What about mixing palmiate into a base of water and glycerin?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements