Skin Care Talk banner

Kojic Acid DIY Lotion Recipe ?

154K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  Flawless333 
#1 ·
My apologies if this is posted somewhere already (I searched but couldn't find it)….but can anyone point me to a recipe for DIY KA lotion?

I'm about NC40ish and would like to get rid of permatan and lighten 1-2 shades (nothing drastic). I've been using Kojie San to exfoliate and recently (like a week or so ago) started using Amlactin. I've been using the Amlactin every other day and so far, my skin is tolerating it well. So maybe I should do somewhere around 16%-18% KA lotion?

I would like to use my Gold Bond lotion as a base for the KA…..I read in another thread that the KA (powder form) should be mixed with water first before mixing with the lotion… ?

I would like to make small batches of the KA lotion every few weeks and would like to know the amount of lotion + the amount of KA + water (ideally in tsp form).

Thank you in advance for any help on this!!

P.S. I have Cape Fear 4% KA already & use that on face.

#2 ·
Kojic Acids recommended concentration is 1 - 3%. So if you wanted to use 3% (on the higher end) of KA you would then use 97% of you base lotion. Are you just wanting to use this on your face or all over?? Just trying to see how much you are wanting to make? Lets say you make 4oz batch KA- 3.40 grms Base Lotion- 110.00 grms I would use 1/2 teaspoon of warm distilled water to get the KA to dissolve. If you need more to get it dissolve add just a touch at a time. To turn this recipe into teaspoons/tablespoons http://www.convertunits.com/from/grams/to/teaspoon+[US]. But it really is much more efficient to use a scale. Nothing fancy, just a basic scale for accuracy. If your not much into DIY, then don't bother getting a scale. But if you venture out any further, at least consider it. ;)

#3 ·
Omg 16-18% KA is waaay to much lol.. ur skin will def. Thinn out and be irritated. Well make at least 5% for ur body and 3% for face. So i dont have a scale either. But gymrat gave me a recipie which u also can use. Take a small bowl add 5 teaspoon of KA powder and warm up 1 teaspoon of distilled water stirr well till its dissolved. If u think the powder needs more distillied water add one full or a half more warm teaspoon of destilled water. When it dissolved it should get like a light lotion. Add this to 120 ml of ur base lotion. Thats 5% KA lotion.But unfortunantly i dont know how many teaspoons of vit e oil u need to keep it at least for a week. For not oxydizing to quick.

#5 ·
Thank you for the replies. :)

1) AmLactin bottle says it was 12% KA in it....that's why I was thinking I could tolerate a higher percentage. I want to use the DIY KA lotion for my body. I'm happy with using the Cape Fear 4% on my face/neck.

2) Gymrat, I actually do have a small scale. But I'm not super into DIY and find the process more messy. The only other item I've been DIY'ing is Kassy's Vit. C serum. I bought the scale for that but after the first few times, got annoyed and started doing it using tsp measurements.

3) So am I understanding the recipe correctly below?

- 1/2 tsp KA powder dissolved in 1 tsp warm distilled water
- 23 tsp lotion (I assume Gold Bond Ultimate will work?)

And this makes 5% KA lotion?

4) What is this Vit E oil and do I need o add it? How much? I already have it for the Vit. C Serum.

5) How often should I use the KA lotion on body? Daily? Every other day? How long before I see a noticeable difference? 1 month? Longer?

BTW, gymrat, THANK YOU for the link for converting to grams to tsp!!!! :)

#6 ·
Thank you for the replies.  :) 1)  AmLactin bottle says it was 12% KA in it....that's why I was thinking I could tolerate a higher percentage.  I want to use the DIY KA lotion for my body.  I'm happy with using the Cape Fear 4% on my face/neck.  2)  Gymrat, I actually do have a small scale.  But I'm not super into DIY and find the process more messy.  The only other item I've been DIY'ing is Kassy's Vit. C serum.  I bought the scale for that but after the first few times, got annoyed and started doing it using tsp measurements.  3)  So am I understanding the recipe correctly below?     -  1/2 tsp KA powder dissolved in 1 tsp warm distilled water -  23 tsp lotion   (I assume Gold Bond Ultimate will work?) And this makes 5% KA lotion? 4)  What is this Vit E oil and do I need o add it?  How much?   I already have it for the Vit. C Serum. 5)  How often should I use the KA lotion on body?  Daily?  Every other day?   How long before I see a noticeable difference?  1 month?  Longer? BTW, gymrat, THANK YOU for the link for converting to grams to tsp!!!!    :)
Learning1 what kind of Vit E do you have?? KA has tendency to oxidise over time, adding a little Vit E to the cream to reduce oxidising. It isn't necessary if you are using right away. As for ingredients, every ingredient used for DIY purposes has a recommended usage rate. So for KA I posted it's recommend usage rate in my prior post. That is how you determine the % to use in a recipe. To be on the safe side you just want to stay within the recommend usage rate. Especially if the ingredient is new to your skin. You never know if your going to have some kind of reaction to it. As for your scale, once you get the hang of how to use it, it's really very easy, and makes things much more accurate. When you tried using it for your Vit C serum were you remembering to "tare" it? This step is very important. How do you tare your scale? Place the container your going to weigh your ingredient in on the scale, then press the tare button located on your scale. This will bring your scale to 0.00. By taring the scale with the container on it this is allowing you to weigh just the contents. You will want to tare your scale EVERY time before weighing each ingredient you are going to use. Taring is just bringing your scale to 0.00 with the container on it before the ingredients are added. So if I am adding 7 ingredients I typically will have 7 tiny little plastic beakers to weight each ingredient with. Then I add them in one by one depending on the instructions of the recipe. Really, it all just takes a little practice. Practice with spices or something. This will get you familiar with how its used. Have questions or problems, just ask!! Plenty of us here to help you out!! We want you to be successful with what you are trying to make. Once you see how easy it really is, you will be helping others when they are trying to make things :thumbsup:

#8 ·
^ Once again, thank you!  :)    I will use the recipe you posted above just to stay safe. The Vit. E I have is the Vit. E Acetate from Lotioncrafter.   Should I add this to the KA lotion? How long will the KA lotion stay "good" without this?  
The Vit E Acetate is water soluble so you can add it to the water you mix the KA in then mix into your cream. I don't know how long or what the chances are of it oxidizing. They say when it does it will turn a caramel color. Use it up quickly and you should be ok.

#13 ·
Omg 16-18% KA is waaay to much lol.. ur skin will def. Thinn out and be irritated. Well make at least 5% for ur body and 3% for face. So i dont have a scale either. But gymrat gave me a recipie which u also can use. Take a small bowl add 5 teaspoon of KA powder and warm up 1 teaspoon of distilled water stirr well till its dissolved. If u think the powder needs more distillied water add one full or a half more warm teaspoon of destilled water. When it dissolved it should get like a light lotion. Add this to 120 ml of ur base lotion. Thats 5% KA lotion.But unfortunantly i dont know how many teaspoons of vit e oil u need to keep it at least for a week. For not oxydizing to quick.
Is there any heating involved in this DIY KA formula ??
Please read the quote above from Mccartney, you will find all the answer you are looking for.

#16 ·
Wow. I see. Should you use KA or KA Dipalmate? Is Dipalmate more stable?

LA lotion is pretty straight forward and can last a pretty long time. I feel like it is worth it. I don't know about KA lotion. I don't want to buy something that won't last or is unstable. Did you use Jergens lotion to mix with it? Or will any lotion be fine?

#17 ·
Wow. I see. Should you use KA or KA Dipalmate? Is Dipalmate more stable?  LA lotion is pretty straight forward and can last a pretty long time. I feel like it is worth it. I don't know about KA lotion. I don't want to buy something that won't last or is unstable.  Did you use Jergens lotion to mix with it? Or will any lotion be fine?
Here is a great post from Iamme, post #53 on page #3.......Iamme is a longtime SCT member extremely knowledable but her job has taken her away from SCT for now. She knew her stuff :thumbsup: http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/25455/infinite-skin-peel/40#post432112

#22 ·
hi gymart and maccartney i would like to add like 4 tea spoons of KA powder in me lotion. 1. Is it possible to add it without melting it?? 2.Will is reduce the effective~ness of the product ?? 3.Can i add it to hq,la or nature product like 55h+ without spoiling the lotion??? 4. can i warm KA serum like maxi white n mix the KA powder in case i dnt get distilled water??? 5.how many drops of KA can i mix in 250Ml and 500ml lotion also can i add vit E oil?????? I added few drops of LA to my hq mix and is workingok without any problems can u do same to KA powder from what hv read KA powder mix in lotion is more complicated

#25 ·
gymratpls help,i finally made my first mixture of kojic acid and arbutin and it turned out to be a disaster
Pls teach me an easy step on how to dissolve kojic acid and arbutin..as well as the measurement needed
HoneyMX which KA do you have?? And what are you trying to add it too?? You need to read through this thread to learn a little more about KA and how to deal with it as it's a finicky ingredient to work with.

#27 ·
gymratm trying to make a lightening cream using kojic acid and arbutin in carowhite..to make the kojic acid solution,i added 2table spoon of water and one teaspoon of sodium meta bisulphate in a transparent bottle of indirect heat..i kept shaking after one min I added one teaspoon of glycol and shook together..still on heat I added 4 teaspoon of KA and AA and I tightened the container immediately..it have me this milky and thick like texture..after I continue shaking to make it dissolve the colour changed into this orange red look.. I was wondering why the colour changed..is it because the heat was much.. when I noticed the change I took it off the heat and made it cool..i added it into 500ml carowhite and mixed together..i later added a teaspoon of carrot oil and vit c powder..do u think the combination would make me light cos I'm scared..i want to know is, was it normal for the KA and AA to change colour because of the heat and will it be potent in the carowhite cream..

#28 ·
I have no idea what caused the color change, but this sounds like a horrible science project :shocked: Where and how are you coming up with your figures?? Are you following a certain recipe?? Are you using these ingredients based on their usage rate?? Have you checked to be sure they are water soluble?? You need to be careful what ingredients you are mixing with other ingredients you can't just throw things together in hopes that it works. This is asking for trouble. Know what ingredients you are working with and how they are used.

#29 ·
Hello gymart. I'm new to making DIY creams from the scratch using oils and butters and trying to stay natural and organic. I'd love to know what to add to my cream to improve the lightening process. Are actives like kojic acid, naicinamide, liquorice extracts very good for lightening ?

#30 ·
#36 ·
Would it be okay to mix some KA into a kojic lotion , say add 3% ..?? @gymrat

#46 ·
I was able to melt the kojic acid powder in rose water using the double boiler method. The issue I have I don't know if it's working. Also, I added kojic acid to black soap I do not know if it's working why because I feel I saw better result with kojie san. However, I bought kojie san again and did not get the initial result I received before.

Compounding the lotion is easy I think is buying the real stuff that is the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.