Skin Care Talk banner

6 month hair challenge

78K views 637 replies 46 participants last post by  2toned 
#1 ·
All I want for Christmas is longer and healthier hair! Anybody interested in doing a hair challenge with me? Post your starting length, regi and a pic (optional) My regi: Deep condition with egg and olive oil weekly Cowash every other day Oil hair with olive oil every other day Wash hair once a month with shampoo Happy hair growing!!!

#3 ·
Bunnie boo I NEEEEEEED this challenge as I tends to wear weaves ALL DAY EVEY DAY!!!!!! I'm planning on using units only after I take out this current weave so I LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE U for this Bunnie Boo

I have nappy hair that's REALLY fine about 7 inches ALL NATURAL so I DEF need a regi to grow as my hair has been that length for like 2 yrs now

#9 ·
Bunnie boo I NEEEEEEED this challenge as I tends to wear weaves ALL DAY EVEY DAY!!!!!! I'm planning on using units only after I take out this current weave so I  LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE U for this Bunnie Boo :heart: :hugs:  

I have nappy hair that's REALLY fine about 7 inches ALL NATURAL so I DEF need a regi to grow as my hair has been that length for like 2 yrs now
Girl!! I know how you feel!! Ever since I cut my hair A YEAR AGO I just can't seem to get out of the APL stage... I have fine curly hair... Yeah I just started wearing wigs this week!! This is me in a short wig...don't quote...deleting in like ten minutes *******snooze you lose********

#4 ·
Hello everyone I want longer amazing hair and I want to put as much effort into it as I do my skin. Regimen - Deep condition with egg mayonnaise weekly - wash with ORS uplifting shampoo weekly - moisturize daily either with jamaican castor oil, montistat or virgin hair fertilizer - Biotin - Msm Current length is arm pit length

#6 ·
Samantha I love me some weaves too :D

#13 ·
OMG Bunnie u look soooooo CUTE I could just
 We have the same cheeks, my friends calls me Baby Cheeks :goofs:  n YES u r suffering fron the big L :D
Thank you baby!!! OMG when I was in school I would always get accused of eating by my teachers! Thought I was hiding candy or gum in my cheeks 1f6021f6021f602 I am sooo not suffering from the big L! The sun was shining in my car!!! I am not that bright I swear to you!!! Lol

#21 ·
AWWW Bunnie you are so cute!

You can try sulfur oil if you don't want use minoxidil, sulfur increases blood flow to the scalp (so I've heard)

In the past I didn't think blood flow was a big deal until I saw the results girls got from the inversion method, it does make a difference!

My first year natural I wore sew ins to not deal with my hair because honestly the relaxed hair was still falling out, I went natural because of a bad relaxer that traumatized me lol but it was a blessing in disguise because "started from de bottom now we hiaa" lol so weaves are a good protective style just remember to still wash your hair and care for your scalp

miconazole nitrate really helps too and biotin pills I took the 7500 and 10000 mcg ones and all three of these together should really help your hair take off!!!

Its really all about keeping the hair from breaking by gentle detangling, set aside TIME to do your hair so you're not rushing through it, and the growth aids really help it grow FAST. I'll have my compadre take a pic of my hair this week so you guys can see my length right now I'm aiming for waist length so I'm totally down for the six month challenge!

Do everything in SECTIONS!! African hair is very thick and sucks up water and products like a sponge so if you're not doing things in SECTIONS you are doing it WRONG. Detangle in sections, wash in sections, condition in sections, style in sections!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like keratin sprays I use Frizz Ease by John Freida but a lot of natural girls have tried the Beautiful Textures product that's supposedly a Keratin leave in. I DO NOT recommend going to a salon and getting a keratin treatment because they will likely dry your hair out with a clarifying shampoo before frying extra strong Keratin into your hair the problem in this scenario is not the Keratin its that Keratin + heat will seal your hair, if you seal in DRY CRUSTY HAIR it will become brittle and break off more easily. That method of clarifying before applying the keratin is for STRAIGHT hair types. I do recommend leave in style keratin products (not tresemme or sauve brands though) because they seal in the style, strengthen the hair and protect from frizz. This type even helps define your curls!!

I don't use shampoo because I don't need it, I can clean sweat and dirt out of my scalp with warm water, my fingertips and a cheap conditioner. Right now I use Garnier Fructis and Aussi Moist. Shampoo is literally detergent, designed to remove amounts of oil that my scalp does not produce. So I don't use it and my hair still comes out silky and flowy one shampoo I do like is Nioxin Cleanse because they design their shampoos for different hair types and it is very effective if you do feel the need for a deep clean without wrecking your hair. As an additional styling product sometimes I'll use Chi Silk Infusion. And if my hair feels dry I'll add a little Rusk Deep Shine Oil. I usually don't need extra styling products though.

I am a huge advocate for natural hair I can't say anything bad about it African hair is beautiful thick and just gawjuss natural hair leaves you the option to wear it straight or curly and it just seems to grow 10000x better natural and it is SO CHEAP! No more cash on weaves and perms y'all imagine it !!!! Natural hair is the way! Natural hair all day!

#23 ·
WARNING DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!!!!

Evil hair companies are marketing this product like its a keratin treatment when it is ACTUALLY A TEXTURIZER aka RELAXER!!!!

I was so mad I almost used this product because they don't list the ingredients on the box and completely and deliberately try to trick people into thinking its a keratin treatment but I knew it wasn't when I saw the neutralizer cream in the box. KERATIN IS JUST A PROTEIN it is not a chemical so it does not need neutralizer.

Be careful of any product that has sodium hydroxide, calcium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide in it. This is the active hair destroying chemical in relaxers.

#32 ·
WARNING DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!!!!  Evil hair companies are marketing this product like its a keratin treatment when it is ACTUALLY A TEXTURIZER aka RELAXER!!!!  I was so mad I almost used this product because they don't list the ingredients on the box and completely and deliberately try to trick people into thinking its a keratin treatment but I knew it wasn't when I saw the neutralizer cream in the box. KERATIN IS JUST A PROTEIN it is not a chemical so it does not need neutralizer.  Be careful of any product that has sodium hydroxide, calcium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide in it. This is the active hair destroying chemical  in relaxers. 
Thanks for this!!! You know what? I bought a Brazilian keratin kit by suave a few years ago and never used it....something about it made me not want to use it. It's similar to the product you posted. I'm so glad I didn't use it! I would have ruined my curls!!!!

#24 ·
Hair Challenge?? I just got my hair did ;) I would like to grow my mine out as well. If I keep it in layers I think I can, or hope I can. Your super cute Bunnie82, now DELETE that picture :D so I can sleep tonight :hehe:

#31 ·
Bunnie when you delete a photo, be sure you go to your embedded photos and delete it as well. Once you deleted here, I went and removed your embedded, so no worries this time, but next time :thankyou:

#52 ·
Heat is a big thing to avoid when you can as well....so a good regimen example for maximum growth in 6 months would be some form of protective style (braids, weave, wig) + healthy diet/water intake + growth aids (biotin, minoxidil, miconazole nitrate) this should give great results and would be a good start into going natural! Then when your natural hair gets long enough for your liking you can just cut off the relaxed ends.

#58 ·
Just to let ya'll know who wear weaves that, don't think you can't treat your hair! If your able to lift that weave up to get to that scalp your good. I used to wear weave once in a while! But I wore the weave in braids more in my hair and I kept my hair healthy even if I was wearing weave in braids.

#60 ·
VS1 in the building270c️ so my hair is just brushing my shoulder but very thin and is curly like ( u have to stretch it to see the length) and sad to say I like Sammie can't even make a braid so step by step instructions please I want length and body please and thanks in advance1f618

#63 ·
My hair straightened (old, needs to be done) out still a lot of volume bc of humidity and not wanting it super straight....

I'll upload a curly pic soon

the longest layer is almost waist length but I intend to chop all of that off. I guess this can be my before pic for the challenge. Goal is to be able to have more blunt ends and get it as close to waist length as possible, but in six months I think its doable!

#86 ·
My hair straightened (old, needs to be done) out still a lot of volume bc of humidity and not wanting it super straight.... I'll upload a curly pic soon  the longest layer is almost waist length but I intend to chop all of that off. I guess this can be my before pic for the challenge. Goal is to be able to have more blunt ends and get it as close to waist length as possible, but in six months I think its doable!
Chop it off and give it to me!!! 1f601

#95 ·
@shenice I went to the store to look for the products! Some of the products I was looking for they didn't have. So you might have to check out online! My photos sucked they came out very dark. Disappointed in how dark they was.. I remember the products so I pull them all up and posted for you so you know what to look for. I just want to let you know this as well that what may work for another, might not work for your hair but you can give it a good try. Until you find what really works for your hair. I've gave a bunch of helpful information for you and anyone else that's relaxed to follow. I hope all of this become helpful to you.

Shea Moisture's Moisture Retention Shampoo

If you like the Shea Moisture Shampoo! Try the rest of the shea moisture line!!

Argan Oil Treatment **This can be used as a leave in**

Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

**If you do try this mix half of this in a bowl and add 100% Pure Castor Oil, 100% Pure Grapeseed Oil, 100% Pure Wheat Germ Oil**
What I read is to use this as a pre shampoo treatment (if that makes sense). Pre poo, shampoo and condition is how you'll do this! After you do that in that order you'll do your last step and that's your leave ins.

Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Balancing Conditioner

Chi Keratin Mist **This is like a leave in**

It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Product **This is also another leave in**

100% Pure Tamanu Oil **This is like a leave in**

Here's some tips for you that may help! If you haven't tried this give this a go and see how it goes for you.

Tip 1 - Washing your hair with shampoo 1-2 times a month and co-wash your hair with conditioner at least 1-2 times a week in between shampoos. What is Co-washing means washing your hair in the same manner as with a shampoo, but simply using a conditioner. This is a great way of adding moisturizer to your tresses. Co washing simply means not using shampoo, but instead wash your hair with conditioner. By massaging your scalp and hair with a conditioner in the same manor you would with a shampoo, you actually can achieve the same cleansing result.

Tip 2 - Leave-in conditioners should be used once a day! After you apply leave in conditioner to your relaxed hair, you can with benefit seal your ends with an oil of your choice.

Regular conditioners are the type you use to co-wash your hair with. Co-washing should be done 1-2 times a week in order to keep your hair clean and moisturized.
Protein treatments are extremely important when it comes to hair that is chemically altered in any way. When you apply relaxer to your hair damages the hairs natural protein structure structure, if the protein is not replenished, your hair will feel dry brittle and may even be breaking off.
Deep conditioners -You should deep condition your hair at least 1-2 times a month. When deep conditioning apply conditioner to hair and cover with a plastic cap apply heat for at least 20 minutes. Heat can be applied with a hooded dryer, a conditioning cap, a hair steamer or a warm towel.
Remember to always wash out conditioner with lukewarm to colder water. Colder water will close the hair cuticles and lock in moisture. If you wash the conditioner out with warm water you will open the hair cuticles and wash out all of the moisture you just applied.

Just like us naturals do relaxed hair has to follow those same rules!!

• Sleep on a satin pillow or with a satin scarf at night.
  • Tie your hair back in a bun or braid it when going to sleep.
  • Wear a protective style as often as possible.

How To Grow Relaxed Hair

• Protein Treatment - In order for your hair to be healthy and growing you must discover the perfect balance between moisture and protein. A combination of strand tests and protein treatments will help you reach that goal.
  • Moisturizing - Relaxed hair is very porous and dry, it is important that you moisturize your hair daily using the co-wash method and leave-in conditioners. Even wetting your hair with water will add moisture to your hair.
  • Hair Oils - Do oil rinses, seal your ends with oil, mix your favorite conditioner with your favorite oil, oils your scalp, do hot oil treatment etc. The benefits of incorporating oils in your hair growth regimen are great.

You can always make your own Protein Treatment (DIYS) for your hair!

Just giving you a few to choose from that you may like to try out! (far as leave ins). Your first leave in can be anyone of the ones I've given to you. Just make sure that your last leave in is an oil!

#97 ·
@shenice  I went to the store to look for the products! Some of the products I was looking for they didn't have. So you might have to check out online! My photos sucked they came out very dark. Disappointed in how dark they was.. I remember the products so I pull them all up and posted for you so you know what to look for. I just want to let you know this as well that what may work for another, might not work for your hair but you can give it a good try. Until you find what really works for your hair. I've gave a bunch of helpful information for you and anyone else that's relaxed to follow. I hope all of this become helpful to you. Shea Moisture's Moisture Retention Shampoo
If you like the Shea Moisture Shampoo! Try the rest of the shea moisture line!! Argan Oil Treatment **This can be used as a leave in**
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
**If you do try this mix half of this in a bowl and add 100% Pure Castor Oil, 100% Pure Grapeseed Oil, 100% Pure Wheat Germ Oil** What I read is to use this as a pre shampoo treatment (if that makes sense). Pre poo, shampoo and condition is how you'll do this! After you do that in that order you'll do your last step and that's your leave ins.  Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Balancing Conditioner
Chi Keratin Mist **This is like a leave in**
It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Product **This is also another leave in**
100% Pure Tamanu Oil **This is like a leave in**
Here's some tips for you that may help! If you haven't tried this give this a go and see how it goes for you. Tip 1 - Washing your hair with shampoo 1-2 times a month and co-wash your hair with conditioner at least 1-2 times a week in between shampoos. What is Co-washing means washing your hair in the same manner as with a shampoo, but simply using a conditioner. This is a great way of adding moisturizer to your tresses. Co washing simply means not using shampoo, but instead wash your hair with conditioner. By massaging your scalp and hair with a conditioner in the same manor you would with a shampoo, you actually can achieve the same cleansing result. Tip 2 -  Leave-in conditioners should be used once a day! After you  apply leave in conditioner to your relaxed hair, you can with benefit seal your ends  with an oil of your choice.  
Regular conditioners are the type you use to co-wash your hair with. Co-washing should be done 1-2 times a week in order to keep your hair clean and moisturized.
Protein treatments are extremely important when it comes to hair that is chemically altered in any way. When you apply relaxer to your hair damages the hairs natural protein structure structure, if the protein is not replenished, your hair will feel dry brittle and may even be breaking off.
Deep conditioners - You should deep condition your hair at least 1-2 times a month. When deep conditioning apply conditioner to hair and cover with a plastic cap apply heat for at least 20 minutes.  Heat can be applied with a hooded dryer, a conditioning cap, a hair steamer or a warm towel.
Remember to always wash out conditioner with lukewarm to colder water. Colder water will close the hair cuticles and lock in moisture. If you wash the conditioner out with warm water you will open the hair cuticles and wash out all of the moisture you just applied.  Just like us naturals do relaxed hair has to follow those same rules!!
  • Sleep on a satin pillow or with a satin scarf at night.
  • Tie your hair back in a bun or braid it when going to sleep.
  • Wear a protective style as often as possible.
How To Grow Relaxed Hair
  • Protein Treatment - In order for your hair to be healthy and growing you must discover the perfect balance between moisture and protein. A combination of strand tests  and protein treatments will help you reach that goal.
  • Moisturizing - Relaxed hair is very porous and dry, it is important that you moisturize your hair daily using the co-wash method and leave-in conditioners. Even wetting your hair with water will add moisture to your hair.
  • Hair Oils - Do oil rinses, seal your ends with oil, mix your favorite conditioner with your favorite oil, oils your scalp, do hot oil treatment etc. The benefits of incorporating oils in your hair growth regimen are great.
You can always make your own Protein Treatment (DIYS) for your hair! Just giving you a few to choose from that you may like to try out! (far as leave ins).  Your first leave in can be anyone of the ones I've given to you. Just make sure that your last leave in is an oil!
hippue hunny u are a genius thanks alot for this really helpful I will try and get them need to get this hair in check you are lovely ♡♡♡

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.