Skin Care Talk banner

My Hair Type!!

70K views 142 replies 17 participants last post by  brown991 
#1 ·

Welcome to "My Hair Type"
Different Types Of Beautiful Texture Hair!
For Women Of Natural Hair!
With Hair Styles For All Types!
What's your hair type??
A Lot Of Natural Women Have Multiple Hair Textures!
Other's May Have Just 1 Hair Texture.
Don't Be Discourage About Styles That Doesn't Work Well With Your Hair. It's Hair Styles That Will Work Well For Your Hair Type!
It's All About Finding Them And Trying Them!
What Products Work And Loads Of Other Information That Can Be Very Beneficial!! Do Tell What You've Used That Work Best For Your Hair. Or What Styles You Do For Your Hair.
Relaxed Sista's Are Welcome As Well!!!! Tips And Other Beneficial Information To Be Helpful To You!
To All My Natural Sista's On Here.
Rock Your Natural Hair With A Cute Style That Will Have Heads Turning.

See less See more
#116 ·
@Reina B Hey, sweetie you can find a lot of information here. I'm going to also put products, that you can try for your high porosity hair type! Choose what you'll like to use on your hair. And always do more research on the products as well. To get a better understanding about each product, that you'll be putting on your high porosity hair.

#117 ·
High Porosity Hair
If this your type or you don't know your porosity type! Please go to the first page and take the porosity hair test.
To determine your porosity hair type.
Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor (deep conditioning)
ApHogee Curlific Texture Treatment (deep conditioning)
Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask (deep conditioning)
Shea Moisture JBCO Strengthen Grow & Restore Treatment Masque (deep conditioning)
tgin Triple Moisture Replenishing Conditioner (deep conditioning)
*Here's a few products that you can use. When 'deep conditioning' your hair! Always, do your research behind every product. Before buying to be sure that this is a product. You'll like to try on your hair! Always remember once you find something, that you and your hair like stick to it. Everything comes with trial and error. When we are looking for the RIGHT products for our hair.
  • Try incorporating cold water rinses. The proteins in our hair are sensitive to temperature changes. Warmer water opens the cuticle more, while cold water helps it to flatten. To help with moisture retention, rinse your deep conditioner out with water that is as cold as you can manage somewhere between moderately cool and cold.
  • Humectants! Because medium/high porosity hair loses moisture easily, feeding your strands with leave-ins and styling products that contain aloe, panthenol, castor oil, agave, sugar cane, and glycerin will help keep the hair from drying out.

Also remember that protein treatments are good! Incorporating protein treatments in your regimen is important for high porosity hair to gain strength and not break as frequently. You can do low protein treatments every few weeks in between the monthly heavy protein treatment. Also remember to use heavy butters and oils for sealing. Like Shea butter, oovo to name a couple. Always look into heavier products with natural oils. Look on the back of the product bottles and see the very first 5 ingredients. And make sure it says olive, castor, or avocado oil in the first five ingredients. When you rinse your hair you can use ACV/aloe vera juice. You can add aloe vera juice to your conditioner. Or add it to a spray bottle that has your favorite conditioner in it. Always remember once you find the products. That works well on your hair, always stick to them to keep your hair healthy. Also it's diy products you can make yourself to help with your porous hair. If you're into the diy type of thing.

#118 ·
HippieNerd Hey Boo 1f6181f6181f618 abt to go to bed but couldn't resist checking this thread when I saw one of ur famous indispensable advice 1f64c1f64c1f64c1f64c1f64c Not sure if u posted for low porosity b4 as I haven't read this thread in a while. I also know that u gave me prior advice for my LP, but can u PLZZZZZZ post a similar one like above geared towards LP? THANK U DOLL 1f60d1f60d1f60d1f60d1f60d

#121 ·
Quote: Originally Posted by gymrat
my guess is I have to try this little test on dry clean hair without products on it............correct?? If so, I better stick a sticky note on my bathroom mirror

it's best to do the test on dry,clean, product free hair.

#130 ·
Low Porosity Hair
If this your type or you don't know your porosity type! Please go to the first page and take the porosity hair test.
To determine your porosity hair type.
Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume (deep conditioning)
Giovanni, 50:50 Balanced, Hydrating-Calming Conditioner (deep conditioning)
TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac Conditioner (deep conditioning)

Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner, Weightless Moisture(leave in conditioner)
Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner (leave in conditioner)
Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave In Conditioner/Detangler (leave in conditioner)

Shea Moisture's Moisture Retention Shampoo (shampoo)
Giovanni, Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo (shampoo)
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay (cleansing and clarifying)
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie (use during the summer. You can use this with a mix of leave in conditioner or without. So, see which way works well for your hair.)
*Here's a few products that you can use! Always, do your research behind every product. Before buying to be sure that this is a product, you'll like to try on your hair! Always, remember once you find something, that you and your hair like stick to it. Everything comes with trial and error. When we are looking for the RIGHT products for our hair.
Also remember moisturizers rich in emollients like shea butter or coconut oil, and humectants: (during the summer) that attract and hold moisture are the best options for low porous hair.
Remember you'll want to select lighter, liquid based products and oils such as hair milks, grapeseed,
sweet almond,​
argan or jojoba oil, that won't leave hair too oily or greasy.
Always remember once you find the products. That works well on your hair, always stick to them to keep your hair healthy.
In the winter avoid humectants during the winter months.
Only do protein treatments if you actually need it! Always look for ingredients that has silk, wheat and hydrolyzed proteins.
Also remember to look for water based/liquid moisturizer products. They work better for low porous hair.
Always avoid heavy styling products (keep them light and not heavy).
When you deep conditioning treatments use heat! The heat will help open up the cuticles and make deep conditioning more effective.
Also rinse your hair with warm water after deep conditioning. This help prevents the cuticles from closing, so you'll be able to follow up with a moisturizer or leave in that will help penetrate the hair shaft.
You can also warm your conditioner! (don't mean put in the microwave!!! Just soak the bottle of conditioner in warm water to warm it up a little). This will help your hair absorb the conditioner easier. And eliminate any white residue/flakes from your conditioner. This will help hydrate your hair effectively!
You can do ACV rinse as well.
Hot oil treatment with any oil that was mention. Or do a mixture of oils.
Also it's diy products you can make yourself to help with your porous hair. If you're into the diy type of thing.

#131 ·
Baking Soda

Ever try making a baking soda paste to use on your scalp? Not only will it lift your
cuticles​
it will also clean your scalp really well. I'll always give my aunt a baking soda treatment! It help with cleaning/removing dirt and dandruff. She loves these treatments, usually I'll do them once or twice a month.
You can also add baking soda with your favorite shampoo!
OR
Baking soda with ACV mixture!

#132 ·
HippieNerd Guuuuuurl u ain't ever lie abt ur advice on LP hair 1f6291f6291f629 Many of what u posted above I've had my T&E with, my hair is protein sensitive. Whereas I can do a protein mask like SB deep treatment on my wash days which I've drawn out to 8wks (don't judge me:Wale) I can't use a LIC, spritz, pomade that's high in protein, it breaks my edges. Light prods r DEF my friend!!!! Most of prods above I've bought n used but didn't love r absolutely hate, but I'm happy for my T&E so I can give my hair what she needs 1f4aa1f4aa1f4aa Folks listen to the Hippie, u'll NEVER regret it 1f5251f5251f5251f5251f525 Also Hippie I've been meaning to try SB curl smoothie but it's for WNG right? Can I use for anything else? Again thx a million 1f6181f6181f6181f6181f618

#133 ·
Also Hippie I've been meaning to try SB curl smoothie but it's for WNG right? Can I use for anything else? Again thx a million 1f6181f6181f6181f6181f618
Always, find what works for your hair ONLY! That's why I'm always speaking of trial and error all the time. Because what may work for one head, might not work the same for the next head. Options are always open on that part and researching is too! Like always I'm glad you went through your trial and error and found what truly work for your head boo.

You can use SB for WNG or for twist outs, flat twist, braid outs as well too. And you can use it with flex rods and perm rods too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.