Willow Bark Toner Question, please help

Thread: Willow Bark Toner Question, please help

Willow Bark Toner Question, please help

I desperately want to make a willow bark toner, but I am very new to diy skin care and I am stuck ...

I want to order willow bark extract from Lotion Crafter that is standardized to 10% Salicylic Acid. The recommended usage level is 2.5-5%, so I will need to dilute it. Someone suggested that I use witch hazel for this and it sounds like a good idea to me. I would love to just use two ingredients to make my toner.

What I'm having trouble with is understanding how to get the correct pH. Will I need to buy testing strips to make sure it's as close to 5.5 as possible? Or is there a recipe/formula I can follow to get a pH that is close enough? Lotion Crafter says the extract pH (as supplied) 4.0 - 6.5, but I assume that adding the witch hazel will change this.

Can anyone help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Your pH should not change. It should remain as supplied. I have this exact ingredient. Willow Bark is water soluble. So follow the usage rate and add Wtich Hazel just as you would distilled water. I recommend using an alcohol free witch hazel
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

Thanks so much for the reply and answer to my question, gymrat ... My sister introduced me to Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel and that's what I plan to use. Love that stuff!

So happy to hear that I shouldn't have to worry about the pH ... Is there a quick way to explain why it won't change? I am so new at this and I want to learn and everything I can! It's been surprisingly hard to find info on the Internet - or maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places. One site online that sells willow bark extract (The Herbarie) recommends the use of a pH meter when formulating to ensure correct pH. Are they just being overly cautious?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NaturaLina View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply and answer to my question, gymrat ... My sister introduced me to Thayers Alcohol-Free*Rose Petal Witch Hazel and that's what I plan to use. Love that stuff! So happy to hear that I shouldn't have to worry about the pH ... Is there a quick way to explain why it won't change? I am so new at this and I want to learn and everything I can! It's been surprisingly hard to find info on the Internet - or maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places. One site online that sells willow bark extract (The Herbarie)*recommends the use of a pH meter when formulating to ensure correct pH. Are they just being overly cautious?
    There is no easy way in understanding the pH reading reading reading is the best advice I can give you. Here is some info that may help you understand a little more https://www.skincaretalk.com/a/knowing-what-ph-means If the pH is something you are worried about then yes getting pH strips is a great way to start!! I have strips myself but to be honest pH isn't a concern for the things I make. But they do work for basic knowledge. Also whoever you order your ingredients from, ask them questions about things you are worried about. They are well informed on all ingredients they sale. Most are extremely helpful. If they aren't........then don't give them your business!!

Thank you for the advice - didn't even think about calling Lotioncrafter. Going to check that article out now!

You don't have to call you can simply email the company you purchase from. Jenny is wonderful to deal with at Lotioncrafters if this is where you are getting your things from.

9. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements