Skin Care Talk banner

How To Make Liquid Dudu Osun

201K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  loubna 
#1 ·
Thanks to the girls on the Nigerian thread for sharing insight on camwood powder, from reading about it, it lead me to this.... This video explains how liquid Dudu Osun is made.....very cool :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Hi Pink!! I thought this looked like something we could whip up.......... I have used Black soap before and yes it did turn things black, but washed down the drain rather easy. What led me to this was reading about Camwood have you ever used it before?? Sounds interesting enough!!

#6 ·
Gymmie a lot of these "street folks" (for lack of any better names) don't want their pics taken. When we first got here we used to drive far into the outskirts of the city, exploring cultures. They never let us take their pics. If you catch them unawares they switch to their local dialect & talk very fast to one another in anger. Knowing how volatile things could get we quit altogether. I think it's a case of being wary of something they don't understand. I'll ask very nicely. Who knows? Three years might have brought some changes. Here's something I found: http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-make-moisturizing-liquid-african-black-soap

#7 ·
Gymmie a lot of these "street folks" (for lack of any better names) don't want their pics taken. When we first got here we used to drive far into the outskirts of the city, exploring cultures. They never let us take their pics. If you catch them unawares they switch to their local dialect & talk very fast to one another in anger. Knowing how volatile things could get we quit altogether. I think it's a case of being wary of something they don't understand. I'll ask very nicely. Who knows? Three years might have brought some changes. Here's something I found: http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-make-moisturizing-liquid-african-black-soap
Wow, thanks for this ^^ all so interesting to me. Yes, I bet they don't like pictures. Probably more of the unknown. Not knowing who you are or what your intentions are. Totally understandable.

#8 ·
gymrat Gymmie you might wanna get in here! I finally made my soap. I got the things I used from the locals that make them. I had so many questions, but unfortunately they don't speak English and I don't speak their language. Talk about being frustrated! Well, the person who took me to them explained what I needed to make the soap successfully. Here are some pictures. Oh no! I can't embed pictures on this device! Lemme use my tried and trusted phone. Dang iOS men!

#11 ·
That's one of three of the raw materials. I still don't know the proper name but working on it as it will help me make better soaps in the future.
I'm not able to embed pictures of the original state of the yellow & pink solutions. They came in solid forms, kinda like rocks. I was instructed to drop into measured water & leave to dissolve. The above solution is what I got afterwards. The manure-like looking thing is then mixed w/ both solutions until I got the consistency I wanted. Normally, these soaps are made soft & very malleable, but I wanted like a shower gel or cream. I mixed in 75cl of honey & abt two cups lemon juice. At the end of the exercise I got exactly 4.5 litres of shower gel.

#12 ·
pink701 so what is the pink and yellow solution? Another type of soap?? Does the final product suds up like a shower gel?? How does it smell??? Very cool.........I need to get crafty again :chef:

#15 ·
Oh Gymmie you're so right! It IS palm bunch! I remember one of those women in the village burning up some when I was little. When I asked her what it was for she told me it was to make soap. My little mind just got more confused cos it looked nothing like the soaps i knew. Men! I can't wait to talk to my Gran about this soap thing. If this one I made is this good, then w/ her input i'm sure to get better.

#16 ·
Yep you are right, I believe they do burn them. Plantains too right?? Oh Pink, what I would give to be able to talk to my Gran and ask her all the things I didn't while she was alive. My Gran was such a big part of my life, I took her knowledge for granted, never thinking twice about asking her all the tricks to the things she used to make for me. If your Gran has a recipe book, I recommend you copy as many recipes as you can from her. Ask her all the questions you need too and keep a journal on things she shares with you. You will be SO glad you did someday when you have that to look back on. :thumbsup: Do share if your Gran shares a black soap recipe :flowers:

#19 ·
Your welcome Saucey not sure how much you can gather but I do know Pink will be of some help. She knows a lot about this soap making stuff. Hang tight I am sure she will chime in when she logs in :thumbsup: saucey

#31 ·
I'm also curious about making my own DIY black soap, @gymrat  do you think adding lightening serums to the DIY black soap will help in lightening or nah its just a waste of serums
Nah.........total waste, Kays don't waste your serums in a soap. However, you can add LA to a liquid soap if you'd like. Not sure if you have any but its an option.

#22 ·
Yayyy pinky lol I was planning on checking eBay or Amazon do u know of any online stores that sell it? I want to achieve like a semi light glowin smooth skin from the soap I remember a few years ago I went to this African shop to purchase Shea butter and the lady ask me if I was getting black soap, she showed me this dark brown soap that did not smell too pleasant at all, but she said " if u use this on your baby the baby will thank you" lol except at that time I didn't have any kids I guess she was talking about the benefits of it

#24 ·
Lol. Someone's excited at the prospects of making her own soap. I get my raw materials from Nigeria, the main source. I'm gon check around for somewhere here in the States. Meanwhile, if you can get some Dudu Osun you can start practising. Now I dissolve the sulphur in lemon juice (I use bottled) then mix in the camwood (i specially ordered this from my hometown, Eastern Nigeria) & black manurish thingie I now believe to be burnt & processed palm bunch. It is very very sudsy & lathers really good just like this, so adding other stuff won't reduce the lathering abilities too much. I proceed to add raw honey, a little glycerin & some vitamin E oil. I just pretty much try to make it as nourishing as I can.

#23 ·
Kays you can use lightening serums if you wanna, won't be a waste at all, especially if you're gonna be leaving on for a few minutes. I'd advise use the cheaper kinds of serum though, like if you do hq use those Labi, Skin Light or CL serum/oil. If KA Eclàt Total oil would do. You need to watch the volume of lemon juice &/or water, honey you use though if you're gon use serums or oils.

#26 ·
Oh, those women who sell the materials advised me to use raw eggs too but I totally skipped that step. I want no raw eggs in my soap, I feel it would make it smell bad. Uh-uh. I didn't put in all that honey just to turn around & mess up the smell. I must say though,my cousin that dared the eggs (they insist on organic) swears the eggs make a lot of difference. I say myself her skin looks beautiful but I'll still pass cos mine is doing good w/o raw eggs. Egg whites maybe for my face as a mask & that's it.

#33 ·
That stuff brightens by itself actually, cos it's exfoliating. But the lemon for sure would lighten you gradually. Like I said, if you want it as a lightening soap then you can use a lightening serum or two. For extra oomph add two bottles (they come very tiny) of Secret Oil, sold at #200 each. If you use lightening agents, leave the soap on for a while. Apply like a lotion then go fix your room, do your hair, select your outfit, watch tv like at night or on the weekends.

#35 ·
Hi Excess Excess What was your question? If you can add LA to a liquid soap?? Absolutely you can :thumbsup: Doesn't need to be a high % as its just used as your cleanser, but adding LA is totally possible. Not sure what LA you have but just follow the usage rate and you will be good to go!! Hope I answered your question if not just let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.