Skin Care Talk banner

The pursuit for the perfect SAP gear!

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  choco2caramel 
#1 ·
Intro:
Hey guys! So I don't know about you guys but with summer being right around the corner and every season after that, the sun does not rest!
I've been practicing SAP for maybe almost a year and a half now and let me tell you, the struggle is real. On a normal day I go to college and do many errands, among other things and that's where this thread comes in; I do most of these things while having to be outside and you may ask, "Gee Achieve, how do you shade yourself if you gotta be outside?" Well basically for occasions and seasons, here's how it goes:

[HR][/HR]
Spring: sweaters, long sleeves, jeans or pants.
SAP Gear: a binder or magazine, S.S

Summer: long sleeves (folded up the arm), jeans or pants. (literally just took out sweaters)

Fall: sweaters, long sleeves, jeans or pants. (oh look! you can wear sweaters again!)

Winter: sweaters, jackets, long sleeves, jeans or pants. (my favorite time of the year, I love jackets and sweaters.)

[HR][/HR]
All of the above are my OOTDs for when I go out for anything while practicing SAP. Now, I've grown very tired of limiting my outfits to only this so about a week ago I started lurking near and far on the Internet for an alternative to holding things up to my face and neck to protect them and also finding a way to add wearing just shirts.

*NOTE: I am trying to avoid umbrellas and sun hats/bucket hats because unless you're an old Asian woman, you cannot pull an umbrella off and the hats/bucket hats all look ridiculous to me and ill show you why in a second. Keep in mind that I know that we all have different tastes but try to see it from my point of view for now.

Now, let me take you through my ranting/criticism of all these things I am about to show you and join me as I smh at almost everything for both men and ladies and some so-so things that work for both sexes, unisex.

[HR][/HR]
CAPS & SUN HATS
[HR][/HR]
- Behold, the most mainstream item you will find when you Google "sun hat":
*Note - There are a billion more, but these are just the most frequent ones I came around every time while look at hats for both men and women.

[HR][/HR] Men:
[HR][/HR] 1. 2. 3. 4.

• Don't numbers 2-5 look so cool! (sarcasm) You literally look like you're going fishing, on a safari, or walking through a desert.
  • What about number 1? What the about the rest of face, neck, back of the neck, the sides? So much sun protection in one picture that I ran out of words for this one.
  • No further comments needed.

[HR][/HR] Women:
[HR][/HR]
1a.

• Oh wow! Much options, such diversity from the mens' hats.. NOT. Here's one thing ladies have an advantage on over men, when you where your hair down, the back of your necks are protected form the sun so you could probably pull off men's #1 or #1a with decent shade from the sun. Sadly for us men, we gotta buy a wig or something' cause hat #1 in men's is useless for us if useless for us if you wanna shade yourself fully and again not look like a dork. But back to hat #1a, it can be a hat for you girls, if you're ok with only your forehead and half of you eyes being shaded.
  • Number 2a and 3a look dumb. I'm sorry but they just do. Number 4a, the floppy sun hat comes in many different textures, colors, shapes, and is ok for if you're going to the beach or some outtings, but it's kind of over the top. I bet some men could pull off the sun hat (I can) but it's still a great option.
  • Number 2a, is a literally a replica of men's #2 just with a wider brim.
  • Basically just no to all of them unless again, you're going to the safari or you're ok with looking like you're an albino with a skin condition if you wear #1a with the mask.

[HR][/HR] Unisex:
[HR][/HR]
*Note: These are hats I thought are more sociably acceptable and kind of go with most of the things that you wear or at least I thought will not make you look like that much of a clown, but because after spending many hours on this topic; I've come to the conclusion that there are no sun hats for men or women that care about how you look fashion wise. All sun hats are evil and were created to make you stand out like piece of coal in a pile of diamonds. In other words, all the designers for sun hats all gathered around in a big room one day and discussed how much they hate people, had huge laughs, and decided to design a bunch of jokes.

- Behold, my picks:

1b.

• 1b, I actually ordered this one because it thought it'd offer more face protection and some side protection and back neck. Also, common, it's black.
  • 2b, I also ordered this one and liked it very much because it looks deep which means more head can fit in, so your sides, neck and a lot of face protection going on depending on how you wear it because it also has a beanie kind of thing going on when you unroll it.
  • 3b, is just a yes for me. (oh look, I order that one too, LoL) This is a go for both men ad women, pair it up with a pair of shades on a summer day and you're good to go for 360 protection (despite the fact that I think that some are over the top). The one in the picture is beautiful and suits a man or women really well. I'll be posting some links. Yes guys/men, it has a white lace, but you would always get rid of it. After all it's made in china, it's probably put on with a little hot glue.
  • 4b, seemed like it'd protect more of your face because the brim is slouching more down. Women this is perfect w/ some shades. Men, you can pair this hat with some shades and a scarf just like the casual Asian woman in the picture.
  • 5b, is also a casual floppy sun hat much like 3b except for that it's made of cotton instead of straw. This hat doesn't have some dumb feminine design and is not too over the top, just simple and black.

There were more contenders, but these are the main picks that'd i'd like to showcase at the moment.

[HR][/HR]
Removable Sleeves
[HR][/HR]
- Now, with removable sleeves, this idea came to me from a post from the lovely @gymrat, she posted a pic of the finger-less driving gloves and that is initially where my idea came from. "What if they made sleeves that you would just put on with a shirt, that way it'll look like you're wearing a long sleeve under, then when it's hot fold them up, and indoors/shade you remove them and put them back on freely?", I asked myself. Cha-ching yall, Ebay and Amazon came to the rescue again.

Wa-lah, my picks:

[HR][/HR] Unisex:
[HR][/HR]

1c.

• 1c and 2c I both ordered. I chose these because they are both cotton and you can just use them as sleeves like how I said up above. The material is nice and the color selection is awesome although it'd just go with grey and black, but that's just me.
  • Let me tell you why I don't like 3c. 3c, is latex, so it literally holds onto your skin for dear life. It's like skinny jeans for your arms. Why would you wear that? Why not just rip one of your leggings and wear them on your arms instead? So no. You'll look like those guys who wear the skin tight shirts at the gym. Please just don't with this. Go with cotton as it will feel better and look better as well.

[HR][/HR]
This concludes my little thread ladies and gentlemen. This is what I've put together so far in my pursuit to live a not so dork like SAP life. I hope you can get something out of this and if you don't then let me know your tips and tricks. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, additions, etc. Maybe you're also concerned for my health cause I spent a whole 3 hours on this thread and you'd like to recommend me to a therapist, I will gladly accept those in my inbox. I also apologize for any incorrect grammar or punctuation in advance, I'm not an english major. The sources for all my picks was all Ebay.

Thanks for reading guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
For the hats, in my opinion, 1b and 2b aren't going to shade you enough, you need bigger rim, those are more for style than protection. As for the arm sleeves, have several colors in several types. Mine are made more for running, which is how I use mine. Mine have dual purpose during the summer months I use them to protect my arms from the sun, in the winter they are used to keep my arms warm without having to wear another layer :thumbsup: Although this is a GREAT post with great detail, where's your sunscreen?? :sunshine: :D

#3 ·
I'm trying to lean more for both style and protection but I guess I gotta look harder cause there's almost nothing in that category. lol If only I would've known about this stuff sooner but I had to go into a frenzy and that's how I found out about em. Where do you buy your sleeves at? lmfao! Who could forget the sun screen, I'll have to add that. 1f602

#9 ·
That will be great dear .. afrixa sun is so hot to th level that bleachin is a big battle looool but in th uk sun cream arent always th best they either too thick or too greasy or they will leav some white cast so its jut anoyin really .well at least with these gear u ve shown it cld help reduce some of th sun damages

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.