Skin Care Talk banner

Enhancing the effectiveness of your Products

359K views 542 replies 105 participants last post by  EmmaGH 
#1 ·
Just a quick thread giving you tips on how to enhance lightening products that don't seem to be working or work very slowly. Lightening takes a lot of time and money and it can be irritating to buy a hyped up product only to realize it takes ages to "kick in". Here are some tips to boost your product:

1. LA lotion. LA lotion is my best friend, it will boost most products and make them much more effective than using the product by itself. SImply apply your DIY or store bought LA lotion, wait 2-3 minutes for it to sink in then apply your lightener. The same method can be applied with GA as well (assuming your skin can handle GA, it is a tad bit stronger than LA and will burn if abused)

2. RA - Retin A also enhances the performance of lighteners. For all the HQ fans dermatologists recommend HQ/RA formulations as one of the best recipes for skin lightening. RA syncs with HQ like peanut butter and jelly
.... If you are a first time RA user, always start with a low percentage (0.025) and work your way up. Use only at night and always wear sunscreen.

3. GPO - Green Peeling oil is a great skin peeler, once used correctly. It will take away the dead skin and allow your lightener to penetrate easier.

4. Occluding - Occluding is great for hard to lighten areas such as hands/knuckles/feet and will allow the lightener to penetrate better.NOTE: I do not advise occluding with acids. Many persons on here have tried occluding with kojie san, LA etc and ended up getting burnt. Stick to regular lighteners.

5. Chemical Peels - LA and SA peels give great results when done over a period of time. A series of peels are best, one peel will not give you the results you desire. I got great results from doing a peel once every week, breaking for two weeks and starting again. If you aren't accustomed to peels start with a low concentration and work your way up, read the sticky on LA peels before attempting one. Do this in the cooler months of fall and winter i

6. Serums - Serums are usually very concentrated and work great to boost your cream and lotion. Add one or two bottles.

7. Use gels instead of creams - When looking for a face regimen gel based products are almost always stronger than the cream version.

8. If you prefer layering over mixing, always layer products according to their consistency for best results. As a rule of thumb the liquid/lighter products are applied first so serum/oil - gel - lotion - cream.

9. Take your supplements everyday and eat healthy - promoting clear skin from the inside out is very important. Drink lots of water and increase your intake of green and leafy vegetables. For HQ users liver cleanses and detoxes can be quite helpful.

10. Combine lightening ingredients - This rings especially true for those who DIY products. Some good combinations are HQ/KA, Arbutin/KA, HQ/Sepiwhite, Sepiwhite/Arbutin, Arbutin/Niacinamide, Azelaic Acid/Licorice/Arbutin

11. Apply vitamin C serum in the mornings. This enhances the protection of your sunscreen.

Disclaimer: These are methods that have worked for ME. Depending on your skin type you may need to tweak some of the tips. Every situation is different. HTH

See less See more
#49 ·
Hey hun.. i was given it by a derm a long time bavk for what i felt like was an upper lip and lower lip shadow. At the time i didnt think it was any good but looking baack at old pics i can see how my skin looked clear and even. Yes my pores reduced and i would definately use it again.

#51 ·
Hun i would have to agree with u. I was cyrsing the derm some years back but actually he sold me an amazing product. I had the face wash creme and gel and the lotion. Ive just read up agaib on the benefits of glycolic vs lactic and i think given that i dont have particularly problematic skin in regards to oily acne etc i am defo gonna reconsider glycolic as opposed to lactic. But will be going slow and steady lol.. especially as im on the gng road.. which other products do you use or find effective

#55 ·
Hi i am a newbie and have been reading all your post Utopianbeauty. Can you please give me an idea how to start lighten my skin. Right now am a Michelle from destiny child's color and would love to lighten 3-4 shades but the goal is to even my skin tone. I get so confuse sometimes reading all this threads and would like a regime i can stick to. please please help. I brought kojie san soap and have been using it with carotein cream on my body but have not seen any difference at all. On my i am using kojie san and nadiola and hydroquinone 4% and it has lighten pretty well but i still have spots from pimple all over. as a child i suffer from moderate acne and i have hyperpigmentation. I am planing on getting the carotein gel for the spots treatment on my face. Do you think i should use their serum also. thanks for your help

#56 ·
Carotein is a natural product and works gradually so you won't see results very quickly, esp if you aren't properly exfoliated (Kojie San alone won't properly exfoliate you). Add an exfoliation lotion like AmLactin or Glytone or make your own and use it alongside your lightener.

#58 ·
Carotein has always been my maintenance staple but I decided to switch things up a few months ago and try Mitchell Products. Face: Precious gel ..... I have 3shadeslighter to thank for making me try this. Love it. Body: Neoprosone Vitamin C lotion along with 2 bottles of serum

#87 ·
You can also use as a toner. So cleanse with your 2% SA cleanser and then make a GA toner or even use ACV as a toner. Its a natural AHA works amazingly well for acne. Mix ACV with equal parts of distilled water and use as a toner.

#94 ·
Saucey mandelic has a larger molecule than lactic acid and glycolic acid so if you trying to get a tan to go away mandellic probably won't be the route to go. Now if your just using it to clear your pores and perhaps use it to exfoliate dead skin cells to help with acne or something along those lines then your all good with mandelic Acid

#96 ·
:D GRRREEEEAT!!! I'm going to try that sometime this week. Maybe tomorrow morning... I love SA....just thought it would be too much along with other products...also should I wait a bit to apply my niacinimade product? I have a niacinimade gel that I apply 30 minutes after Retin A. And plan to DIY niacinimade lotion for AM after vit C. I just remember reading on the thread to wait at least 30 minutes after applying Retin A and at least 30 minutes after applying Vitamin C. Is the wait necessary? And correct the toner is actually only about 0.5 percent actually and it did a pretty good job...I'm excited to include my SA again :marchmellow: ... but Man!!! between skin care products, supplements, and music equipment Im going to go broke!!! And as for Lebron.... Now we gotta :box: he's the BESTEST!!!! And u know it!!! ... your are o so lucky our 2 other stars were injured and couldn't play in the finals!!!! I expect a Cali girl to root for a Cali team tho so I'll let u slide.

#100 ·
Apply the Vit B gel after your Vit C in the AM. I wait no more than 10-15 mins if even that after apply my C serum. Once its absorb and I can feel it penetrating my skin, that is all I care about. As for RA, I do wait longer if I am layering an oil or lotion over it, which is a rare occasion. Usually I apply RA and hit the pillow. Longway don't fret over things like SA especially being its 0.5%. Over kill would be if you were using 2% toner, 20% serum and considering applying GA lotion over it. That I would say.........:naughty:. But SA toner and C serum then B gel, totally fine. Then in the PM apply your GA. Again, you will know if your skin isn't agreeing with it. If that happens, then alternate days and make other adjustments. BUT.....for those that have success with using SA, I stick with it. Don't fix what isn't broken :thumbsup: As for your hero, don't even get me started :D. Doesn't matter how many were injured, your boy isn't a "team" player, he's a one and done type and its why he didn't take home the trophy. Anyone who thinks they are better than MJ needs an ego analysis. He needs too depuff himself just a tad bit, Gymmie don't like the arrogant type :poke: I know, skincare can be pricey and is exactly why you need to consider DIY. You don't have to DIY from the ground up. But at least become a semi DIY, find decent base creams to add your special tricks too. As far as Vit C serum yes absolutely DIY, very simple and saves you a TON.

#97 ·
Asking anyone who might knows! So I've been using 20% Vitamin C serum religiously every morning ..... I'm considering purchasing alpha hydrox intensive serum it contains 14% glycolic acid ... Now my question is can I put my c serum on than layer with glycolic acid I was wondering cause I read somewhere it's amazing combination than another it can cause inflammation mixing the acid which is more bad than good !

#102 ·
YES, YES and YES!! Mandalic is what you should use......totally forgot about the precious in your belly!! :cloud9: Here's more info Saucey, choose the size, and % you want. (they do have other mandalic products, so do take a look) http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/25-Mandelic-Acid-Peel_p_26.html http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/40-Mandelic-Acid-Peel-from-Makeup-Artists-Choice_p_276.html 25% off, but ends tonight........crap, I didn't realize it ended tonight, I need to place an order myself :type: http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/25-Off_ep_45.html

#105 ·
I think I can really keep my breakouts in check with SA, niacinimade, and the supplements so this is wonderful news :D ... And I still have my distilled water so I can dilute my vitamin C since its 20% :yay: ...Just a lil unappreciated in my opinion...
Yes, dilute your C if you need too for sure, or Longway apply it while on damp skin. This too will dilute it. Please keep me posted on how things go adding SA back into the pictures..... I totally repect your opinion :five:.....just my little opinion.....6 rings :D 6 rings :hehe:
Can you use RetinA after a sea salt bath?
Yes, RA can be applied after a sea salt bath.

#109 ·
gymrat Is it okay to use vitamin c toner or salicylic acid pads without sunscreen? I know I should be using sunscreen, but I haven't yet found a zinc one that I can afford that doesn't leave a white cast. I'm not sure how much vitamin c is in the toner. It's by Avalon organics. Would it be better only at night? I use it by itself with lotion or with 2% SA pads and lotion on top.

#110 ·
You really should be using a sunscreen regardless of what products you use ;) but to answer your question, yes you are totally fine to use a toner AM or PM or both. Traditional toners consist of moisturizers, oils and extracts that help soothe your skin. Some are also astringents, so finding one with witch hazel is perfect for tighting the skin, pores and removing oil. I am a big fan of toners :thumbsup: Now lets just work on finding you a good sunscreen! :sunshine:

#112 ·
Feeling very happy with myself....i made a black soap shower gel by boiling hot water and blending my black soap and then i added 1tbsp of 40% LA and 1tsp glycol acid. Put it in a plastic jar and will use it every other night to exfoliate followed with jojoba oil! I am really learning DIY and this ay, i am sure of whats in my body wash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.