Skin Care Talk banner

LA/GA Combo Peel

30K views 41 replies 2 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
Hi! Has anyone one everyone done a glyco-lactic combo peel before and have any suggestion on where to a get a good product? I'm looking for a combo because they both offer separately what I'm looking for. Fine lines, black heads, milia, rosacea, sun damage and uneven skin tone. I have done a Jessners before but didn't really see any benefits from it and the TCA kinda scares me. Lol Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

#2 ·
I have never done a combo Glycolic/Lactic peel. I would by far recommend purchasing from MUAC. By far the best place I have purchased peels from. They are a great company, have outstanding customer service and shipping is quick. PLUS they always offer a 25% discount code. Be careful which you choose being you have rosacea. Read the detailed info on their site. And ask all the questions you need too. Don't be afraid of TCAs.........they are not bad when applied correctly. But do start lower strength peels and build your way up too a TCA :thumbsup: http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/At-Home-Chemical-Peels_c_53.html Discount Code info http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/25-Off_ep_45.html

#3 ·
Thank you gymrat for the info! I will definitely look at MUAC's products and thank you so much for the coupon link!! Any savings is a plus for me. 1f601 How long would you suggest using the lower strength peels before moving to a TCA and what strength would you suggest to start with? I use Finacea would I need to stop using that before or after any of these peels?

#4 ·
Of course your very welcome. Also, their sample sizes are generous. You can easily get a few peels out of a sample size. I apply all my peels with a foundation brush. That way I don't waste any product. I did in and apply rather than soaking a cotton ball etc. The brush makes for much easier application. You can use a fan brush as well. You would want to stop using Finacea 1-2 days prior to doing your peel. Its a great product to prep your skin with though leading up to your peel. I personally prime with Retin A and use it up to the night before doing a peel. I don't recommend it for you being it's your first time but for myself, I find I get better results/peeling when using up too the day I apply. But for the majority, they recommend stopping of any AHA/BHA, Retin A, Finacea, etc 1-2 days prior too and then don't use it again until your face done peeling and healed back to its natural state. I know you mentioned wanting to use GA/LA but do take a look at Mandalic/SA peel. I use Manadalic Acid often, its a great peel and has many great benefits. It's mild and can be use weekly or bi weekly. But for what you are wanting to address, I think Mandalic/SA is a great option as well. http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/MandelicSalicylic-Peel_p_131.html

#5 ·
Hi Gymrat I was looking at their sample sizes and was worndering if that was the route I should go with to see how my face reacts to their product so that's good to know they are good sizes. I will definitely stop my finacea 2 days before just to be on the safe side! I am open to any suggestions. I actually was interested in the GA/LA because they both seemed to have what I need help with. But I most definitely would be interested in something else that is similar. I will look into the Mandalic/SA combo. Thanks for the link! Thanks again for all your suggestions/advice!!

#6 ·
@gymrat I finally did the Mandalic/SA peel from MUAC. It stung a little bit, but not to bad, left on for 5 mins. My face ended up looking like I had a sun burn with 2 deeper red spots right under my eyes, by my nose, should I avoid that area or is it doing something good?!? :/ about an hour has passed and I have a few more red spots. I'm just surprised bc most I've read on this peel is it is very light. I even stopped my RA 3 days before. I'm hoping its just clearing up some bad spots!! :):)

Finished up with some Neosporin on the red spots and a combo of emu/vit e oil.

If my skin is ready by next week can I route this peel weekly with the 25% Mandalic peel? Or just stick with one until the bottle gone? TIA

#7 ·
@MrsBurney2015, I would keep neosporin on the areas that are red or irritated, its completely normal for your face to look a bit sunburnt after a peel. By morning your face should look much better, not to worry. But do keep neosporin on any areas that continue to stay red. With this peel you are fine using it weekly leaving it on 3-5 mins, then rinsing with soap and water. You can alternate this peel with your Mandalic if you want too, use one every other, and the other every other. Thats totally fine. SA can be harsh for some, you will know if you like it after you use it a few times. Let me know how your skin looks in a few days. Keep it moisturized as SA can be drying but if your trying to clear up some acne/spots you want it to dry up a bit.

Not to worry, all sounds normal :thumbsup:

#9 ·
@gymrat Hello, sorry I am hitting you up so much, I am just excited to be back in the game and want to use all the stuff I bought be for they all go bad. So I have a question, I tried to find an answer but didn't really find what I was looking for, or I was search wrong. Is there a way that I can use the rest of my 20% GA/40% LA combo peel and make a night time serum with it? It has other ingredients, Kojic Acid, Bearberry, Mulberry, Licorice, Vit C and Vit A. I am trying to replicate something similar (not exact) to the Drunk Elaphants T.L.C. Glycolic 12% Night Serum and to just use what I have on hand, I know it wont be the exact same. But just trying to find a fun way to use the rest of this peel. Let me know what you think/if it can be done, if you can help me put something together or point me to the right person to ask would be greatly appreciated. If you think we can give it a go I will let you know what I have on hand to maybe mix it with. TIA :)

#11 ·
@gymrat Hello, sorry I am hitting you up so much, I am just excited to be back in the game and want to use all the stuff I bought be for they all go bad. So I have a question, I tried to find an answer but didn't really find what I was looking for, or I was search wrong. Is there a way that I can use the rest of my 20% GA/40% LA combo peel and make a night time serum with it? It has other ingredients, Kojic Acid, Bearberry, Mulberry, Licorice, Vit C and Vit A. I am trying to replicate something similar (not exact) to the Drunk Elaphants T.L.C. Glycolic 12% Night Serum and to just use what I have on hand, I know it wont be the exact same. But just trying to find a fun way to use the rest of this peel. Let me know what you think/if it can be done, if you can help me put something together or point me to the right person to ask would be greatly appreciated. If you think we can give it a go I will let you know what I have on hand to maybe mix it with. TIA :)
You could mix it into a water soluble lotion if you wanted too.

#10 ·
Hi @gymrat I found something I wanted your thoughts/opinions on regarding my above post.
Age Defiance SerumMakes 100ml (3.3oz) and keeps for up to a year Suitable for dry to normal skin

· 30grams (30%) Apricot Kernel Oil or Jojoba/Emu mix??(6 teaspoons) I don’t have an Apricot Kernel Oil
· 25grams (25%) Rosehip Seed Oil (5 teaspoons)
· 20grams (20%) Evening Primrose Oil (4 teaspoons)
· 15grams (15%) Macadamia Nut Oil or Avocado (3 teaspoons) I don’t have Macadamia Nut Oil
· 10 grams (10%) (2 teaspoons) Vitamin E Oil (2 teaspoons)
· 5 drops Rosemary Antioxidant CO2 Extract – Can I use SKB here instead as I don’t need to preserve due to the GA/LA. I have this so just want to use it up.
· 12 drops Essential Oils – Can I use Green Tea Extract here instead? Again, I have it so just looking to use it somewhere.
· Add GA/LA acid - Soooo if this would all work together can you help me figure out how much I will need for a 12% :D(this would be replacing my every other night Finacea cream).

This is for a 100ml bottle (3.3oz), but I was thinking of trying this out in a smaller bottle maybe a 30ml (1oz) to try it out first. (Would need help with that calculation, sorry I am horrible with math)Let me know your thoughts/feedback and/or tell me if I'm crazy!! :crazy:lol Not even sure if this stuff can be mixed with the GA/LA acids but thought i'd ask. :cool:Thanks again as always for your help and feedback!

#12 ·
Hi @gymrat I found something I wanted your thoughts/opinions on regarding my above post.
Age Defiance Serum

Makes 100ml (3.3oz) and keeps for up to a year Suitable for dry to normal skin

· 30grams (30%) Apricot Kernel Oil or Jojoba/Emu mix??(6 teaspoons) I don’t have an Apricot Kernel Oil
· 25grams (25%) Rosehip Seed Oil (5 teaspoons)
· 20grams (20%) Evening Primrose Oil (4 teaspoons)
· 15grams (15%) Macadamia Nut Oil or Avocado (3 teaspoons) I don’t have Macadamia Nut Oil
· 10 grams (10%) (2 teaspoons) Vitamin E Oil (2 teaspoons)
· 5 drops Rosemary Antioxidant CO2 Extract – Can I use SKB here instead as I don’t need to preserve due to the GA/LA. I have this so just want to use it up.
· 12 drops Essential Oils – Can I use Green Tea Extract here instead? Again, I have it so just looking to use it somewhere.
· Add GA/LA acid - Soooo if this would all work together can you help me figure out how much I will need for a 12% :D(this would be replacing my every other night Finacea cream).

This is for a 100ml bottle (3.3oz), but I was thinking of trying this out in a smaller bottle maybe a 30ml (1oz) to try it out first. (Would need help with that calculation, sorry I am horrible with math)Let me know your thoughts/feedback and/or tell me if I'm crazy!! :crazy:lol Not even sure if this stuff can be mixed with the GA/LA acids but thought i'd ask. :cool:Thanks again as always for your help and feedback!
Well, what you have listed are oils, and LA/GA are water soluble, not oil soluble. Oils and water don't mix, unless you have an emulsifier. Why are you trying to replace your Finacea cream?

#14 ·
Sorry - I tried to edit my post but missed the 30 minute timeline.

Would one of these work? Found these suggestions from another site. I like the idea of the aloe vere gel, if that would work.

• aloe vera gel
  • honey
  • alcohol (like vodka) (Vodka doesn't appear to work very well, but has been said to be a good emulsifier of essential oils. Higher proof alcohol works much better.) - Used this for my Vit C serum, not sure if that was doing the same thing in that is would be doing in this recipe.

#18 · (Edited)
I will look into getting some and the next time I make my C serum I will reach out for steps, as the recipe I used didn't call for an emulsifier. What is the best size to start off with? How much is typically used when making something that needs to be emulsified?

Ok, I'll shaken up really good. Since I have everything mixed is it to late to add an emulsifier?

I will do 3 mins this Sunday instead of 5 mins and I already love how my skin is looking now that it is healing up!!

#19 ·
Only takes a small amount of Poly 80 so get the smallest they have. Check around for the best price, several DIY suppliers carry it.

I knew once your face cleared you would have a different opinion :thumbsup: now imagine how much better it will get with faithful continued use. And its so easy to do, that's the greatest part! Yes, try the 3 mins and see if that works better, then bump it up to 5 mins after a few peels.

#21 ·
@gymrat so wanted to give you an update on my 2nd peel Mandalic/S.A. Pe that I did tonight. I noticed that my forehead got red pretty face but went on with adding to the rest of my face and oh my gosh I had to take it off within 2 mins. My face is so red all over with deeper red patches everywhere. Not sure what happened, I didnt do anything different, but it was like my skin was super sensitive this time around. Put Neosporin, aloe Vera and prep-h all over my face. Anything else that I should be doing?

#22 ·
This morning pretty much all the redness is gone. I have a few little red patches that I can tell will eventually peel. I'm still so surprised how my skin reacted, last week it was fine with some redness, but nothing like last nights. I'm going to wait 2 weeks before my next one. Maybe I just didn't give my face time to heal even though it looked good to go. The clear areas already look nice and glowy today. This peel has me confused!! Lol

#26 ·
Hi @gymrat - Hope all has been well! I have ran out off all my peels. I had been routating between MUAC 25% Mandelic and the Mandelic/Salicylic peels. So I was thinking of making a Lactic Acid peel with my 99% LA I have on hand. I am just not sure what % I should start with 45%(?), and I need help with the formula. I also have licorice extract that I?d like to incorporate if possible. I noticed that the MAUC LA peels has that ingredient. TIA for any advice/feedback!!

#38 ·
Yes you could definitely throw a preservative in it. It will last a week or so, which, you could easily do a lactic peel every week. I find that lactic burns more when your rinsing it off then when its applied. Was that how it was with you?

#39 ·
Oh yes!!! It definitely had more of a sting when I was rinsing it off and even lasted a little bit after I was done was rinsing. I know I could make it every week except there was so much left over I just couldn?t bring myself to throw it away. LOL That?s why I was wondering if there was a way to preserve it for a few weeks until it was gone.

#41 ·
Oh yes!!! It definitely had more of a sting when I was rinsing it off and even lasted a little bit after I was done was rinsing. I know I could make it every week except there was so much left over I just couldn?t bring myself to throw it away. LOL That?s why I was wondering if there was a way to preserve it for a few weeks until it was gone.
I wouldn't save if for more than a week. Next time mix 1/2 tsp with a 1/2 tsp of distilled. Applying with a brush doesn't cause you to go through so much peel solution, so make small batches, then its fresh. I am like yourself and wouldn't have thrown it away either.....I would have applied it to my feet if I had too, works great on your heals, apply it, then wrap in seran wrap.
I tried to use it all!! I hate through stuff away. I did my face aaaand i even did my neck and hands which I have never done before and I did my daughters face and neck as well. I still had so much left over. Lol I will just mix a tsp each like you suggested above.

So I?m not sure I really like this peel though. I feel like it really dried my face out, which I know peels can do, but then usually fresh looking skin is followed. Lol I feel like it made my face dull. Have you heard that before? Maybe it?s just this dry Cali weather...?

#42 ·
I tried to use it all!! I hate through stuff away. I did my face aaaand i even did my neck and hands which I have never done before and I did my daughters face and neck as well. I still had so much left over. Lol I will just mix a tsp each like you suggested above.

So I?m not sure I really like this peel though. I feel like it really dried my face out, which I know peels can do, but then usually fresh looking skin is followed. Lol I feel like it made my face dull. Have you heard that before? Maybe it?s just this dry Cali weather...?
When did you apply it? Definitely you can be dull the first few days afterwards, but by day 5 that should be well behind you. I love lactic, its so easy and mild to use plus makes a big difference in pores/ and overall texture. Use it weekly for 6 wks, before you decide if you like it or not. But be consistent. As for applying it on your hands.......anything that goes on my face, goes on my hands, doesn't matter what it is :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.