Vit C serum for dummies - Page 2

Thread: Vit C serum for dummies

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    I just wanted to follow up with LAA. I was using the NOW version which I was able to get to dissolve what I thought was pretty easily. The lotioncrafters version is 100 times better. Poof it's dissolved. No going back here!!! Just to help some of the newbies out. Spend the money. I got 4 oz for $17-18 and it will last a long time. It's worth the shipping and ordering. I was a newbie DIY not too long ago and everyone was so helpful. It is so worth mixing up your own and it's addicting. Now I'm searching for things I can add to all my products!!
    Yes the lotioncrafter C is worth it.
    ISLAM. . . this cancerous infestation of demonically infused destruction, that is sweeping over the entire world like sulfuric volcanic puss spewed forth from the pit of hell . . . (maybe next time I’ll tell you how I really feel about this).

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

WHEW! I did that a couple of hours ago right before you posted Oranges. Got it from Lotion Crafters 4oz! Can't wait to start brewing my own.
    Top 3 products for skin Vit C serum, RA and SS

I found these C serums recipes on a makemeheal.com forum. Thought they might appeal to those of you who like to keep things simple.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

I would like to share my DIY facial crystal mix. I mix Vitamin C powder with baking soda and use that to give myself home micro-derm abrasion. Mixing the soda with the C makes it FIZZ and FUZZ up. It STINGS and it induces some peeling later on.

I Don't use the Vitamin C serum myself because I just add some water with a pinch of VC powder instead. The patent for the Vitamin C serum actually has to do with stabilizing it in a brown bottle.

Won't give all my secret recipes here but above is pretty good one for starters.
    I used to do some consulting for the cosmetic industry with regard to formulating things.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

C Serum
    I just read something interesting on how to make a 10% Vit C serum (recommended percentage for most effective affect on skin). The 10% is higher than most people start out using, so if you make this go easy with it to see how your skin reacts. I have not tried it yet, but I think I will make it this weekend:

1/2 tsp L ascorbic acid (to every)
    4 tsp of KY Ultra (yes, that's right) personal lubricant, but not the type with Aloe or anything else in it.

This makes a 10% solution of VitC serum. It is not anhydrous, but should last a while. The KY Ultra contains water, glycerine, thickeners, emulsifiers, preservatives and VitE.

This is DCNGA's Recipe
    ¾ Tsp of L-Ascorbic Acid
    1/8 Tsp of Vitamin C Liquid (oil soluable VitC-Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate)
    1 oz Monistat Gel Powder

I'd add some Vit E from a gel cap to the last one if I made it. Lucy

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

LLucy
    Doesn't buffering the L-ascorbic acid with baking soda negate the exfoliating effect of the acid? Also I think it has to be at 3.5 or lower to penetrate the skin...??? Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of the mixture....?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

No idea Fawnie.

These aren't MY recipes. I just copied them off the DIY forum on makemeheal.com. Thought they might be of interest to those who prefer "fewer ingredients the better".

I might try the baking soda one just for fun.

I definetly want to try some formulations with the K-Y and Monistat powder gels - haven't decided on which actives I want to use yet.

Ok I have all my ingredients now and will probably be back with questions but my first question is it ok to refrigerate the Ferulic Acid and L-ascorbic acid? My ferulic is in powder form is that how it normally comes or did I need a liquid? See that is why I call it Vit C for dummies

Is it suppose to be a little thin? Or thick? Mine is a bit thin

Just tested a drop on the back of my hand. Wow that felt nice. Soaked in the skin almost immediately. Think I am going to like this one. I used the one Kassy last posted with the Jojoba oil NO HA. How long does a batch last. Doesn't look like much. If I use it daily looks like it should last at least 3-4 days?

My batch lasts a couple weeks. I havne't made the one with Jojoba oil yet. Next. The one I made is thin and runny, a bit sticky to apply but my skin is looking so incredible because of it.

I put mine in the fridge I hope it ok to do that. I thought it would help keep it fresh and maybe thicken it a bit which I think it did but I hope it doesn't too much!

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements