Skin Care Talk banner

Green (GPO) and Yellow (YPO) Peeling Oils for Beginners

235K views 434 replies 53 participants last post by  Regrett 
#1 · (Edited)
Before I purchased green peeling oil and yellow peeling oil, I did a few weeks of research to learn about the product. I've gathered all of my notes and am sharing them with my SCT family. If you have additional information, please post it and add to the pot. There are threads about the peeling oils and there's information all over the 'net, but no one place has it for beginners to be able to follow easily.

As far as I know, there are 4 kinds of peeling oils: Green, Yellow, Pink and Blue
There may be others. In fact, I know there are others but since I'm only well versed in the Green and Yellow, I'll concentrate on those two.
The oils are formulated in the Philippines, and sold via the Internet on select web sites and on eBay. Make sure you check the sellers reputation on eBay or search SCT for names of reputable sellers.

Bottle Product Glass bottle Liquid Drink

Green Peeling Oil (GPO)
- Ingredients: Herbs & Extracts, Glycol, Retinol, Tretinoin and Vitamin C/Ascorbic Acid & Peppermint
- Usage: Can apply again once skin is completely healed.
- Peeling is light to medium, depending on how many layers you apply and the thickness of the skin area
- Green color may vary from light pale green to deep green.

GPO "tingles" due to the peppermint ingredient. You should have a hydrocortisone cream on hand in the event of burning or itching.
If you feel like you are having a bad reaction to the peeling oil. Do not continue to apply it.

Yellow Peeling Oil (YPO)
- Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Tretinoin Double, Salicylic Acid
- Usage: Can repeat peel after 3 to 4 weeks (or use 3%YPO for maintenance)
- 3% Yellow Peeling Oil is a moderate peel (best for sensitive skin)
- 5% Yellow Peeling Oil is a light to medium peel
- 10% Yellow Peeling Oil is a medium peel (good for most body parts)
- 20% Yellow Peeling Oil is a heavy peel (not recommended for face; best for feet, knees, knuckles and elbows)
- For maintenance, you can use the 3% or 5% YPO. (not required)
- Yellow color may vary from light pale yellow to deep yellow.

Yellow peeling oil is a mostly uneventful peel. You may feel itching depending on the strength you are using.
Hydrocortisone cream for discomfort, or discontinue the applications if you have a bad reaction to it.

========================================================================

Applying the Peeling Oils
There is variance in the instructions, however the most popular application method is "3x3" or 3 times a day for 3 days.
You can use your hands or fingers, or for larger areas you can pour a small amount of oil into a bowl and use a small brush to apply it.

1. Wash the area with a mild soap. Do not scrub.
2. Apply the oil.
3. Wait 15-20 minutes and apply again.
4. Wait 15-20 minutes and apply again.

You'll do steps 2, 3, and 4 for three days in a row. Preferably at night.
GPO users, You can wash the area with cool/warm water and mild soap as needed but for best results try to forego it.
YPO users, You can wash the area with cool/warm water and mild soap on the 4th day. Do not wash the area during the application days.
Do not use exfoliation or lightening soaps.

What to Expect
- depending on the area, skin may begin to peel as early as the 2nd day of application
- tightness in and around the area where you applied the peeling oil
- area may itch or appear slightly red
- just before peeling begins you will notice that the area becomes darker than normal
- skin may appear wrinkled like elephant's skin

Waiting to Peel and When Peeling Starts
- Use only mild soap to cleanse the area. Pat dry. Do not scrub or use any manual exfoliation.
- Use a light cream or oil to moisturize or relieve tightness. Heavy oils or creams will interrupt the peeling process.
- Keep the application area completely away from the sun. Use sunscreen at all times.
- Dont put makeup, powders, or perfumes on the application area.
- Dont force peeling. Don't pick at, scratch, or pull off the skin.

When Peeling is Done
- GPO users, wait at least 7 days before resuming normal care of the area or until it is completely healed.
- YPO users, Wait at least 3-5 days before resuming normal care of the area. Use your best judgement.
- Be careful with sharp objects. New skin is very sensitive.
- Keep the area moisturized but not over saturated.

What Happens if I Dont Peel?
There are a number of scenarios that could interrupt your peeling.

Dehydration: Most seller instructions advise that you drink plenty of water.
Peel not strong enough: If GPO did not work for you, try the YPO. If you used YPO, make sure you used the appropriate solution.
Oversaturated skin: Heavy oils and creams, and some moisturizing soaps will stop the peeling process. Wash the area thoroughly with mild soap, and the peeling process should start again.

If your skin did not peel at all, you can start a new application whenever you're ready.

See less See more
#12 ·
A couple more things that I need to add:

1. Everybody doesn't peel. Some people will flake or micropeel depending on the chemical reaction with your skin. There's nothing to worry about unless you don't notice a skin change at all.

2. Take photos. Some of the changes you won't notice without photos of your progression. Just when you think its not working, your photos may show the opposite.

3. Some sellers don't have their yellow peel marked with a strength percentage. For those sellers, you will need to send a message to ask. I would hate for any of you to waste money using a strength too light or too heavy. Dont be afraid to ask questions. If you're not comfortable with the answers, don't buy from them.

4. Some areas may peel more than once. Don't be alarmed.

#14 · (Edited)
The usage of the peeling oils and their strengths should be determined by the thickness and sensitivity of the skin you are putting it on.
Faces are delicate thin skins. I would use GPO, 5% YPO, or no more than 10% YPO on a face.

You may have to do several peels (4 weeks in between) to see the results you want.

#16 ·
Generally, the popular sellers are beautymagnet and bbjames_69. There are plenty more who are trusted and popular as well, however just because they are not mentioned here does not mean they are not a gem. Go over to eBay, find out who's near you, or who ships free, and get your stuff!

#30 ·
Can anyone please tell me if there needs to be any down time between application of this and usage of other exfoliating products like G&G/AHA's? I'm out of G&G for the time being and don't know if I'll be able to get any for a while so I might give this a shot.

#43 ·
@hipvalley How do you apply your YPO? What % do you use on your face? Also is it ok to get the area wet during application days? Thank you
Hey! :hand:

i apply mine with a cheap foundation brush that I got for a dollar.
i pour a little YPO in a glass mini-bowl and dip the brush, shake the excess and brush it on.

i use 10% on my face and I wouldn't go higher than that. In fact, my next face peel I'm using the 5%.

You can get it wet but make sure there's a few hours in between. Like if you apply it at 8pm then you should be fine to wash your face with water only or a baby soap in the morning. What I do is start my applications on Thursday night. Friday morning steam my face with a hot washcloth. Apply Friday night. Steam again on Saturday. Apply again Saturday night. By Sunday I've usually started to peel so I don't apply again, unless I'm not peeling yet. Then it's steam in the morning and apply at night.

A few notes:

- when you steam, don't scrub. You'll rub it raw and it will feel like flames from hell licking you.
- Faces peel FAST. Therefore causing my addiction to my freshly peeled face.
- In a day or two your skin will normalize. Keep something on your skin during that time. Eucerin, A&D ointment, Shea butter... Something thick that will absorb well.

#59 ·
@moon maiden @hipvalley I just did my first application of the YPO. I did 3x3 on my shoulders and waited 20 minutes into between applications. I will do the same for the next 2 nights unless I start seeing some peeling. I will provide update on the result.
Thats great!!! Peeling is so gratifying... I'll be watching for your update. Congrats!!

#64 ·
@hipvalley @moon maiden my arm feels like they are on fire and really itch, I have not tried to scratch them because tonight is my last application of 3x3 and i didn't to make my arms sensitive by scratching, I will start applying the hydrocortisone cream until tomorrow . They are not peeling, it just feels like when you get a burn and waiting for it to cool off. I haven't been outside of the house all day and it's raining where I am so no sun coming through the windows. Should continue with my third application tonight or stop? I have never done a GPO or YPO before so I don't know what it feels like or two 3x3 application. Any advice will be appreciated.

#65 ·
@hipvalley @moon maiden my arm feels like they are on fire and really itch, I have not tried to scratch them because tonight is my last application of 3x3 and i didn't to make my arms sensitive by scratching, I will start applying the hydrocortisone cream until tomorrow . They are not peeling, it just feels like when you get a burn and waiting for it to cool off. I haven't been outside of the house all day and it's raining where I am so no sun coming through the windows. Should continue with my third application tonight or stop? I have never done a GPO or YPO before so I don't know what it feels like or two 3x3 application. Any advice will be appreciated.
I get that feeling sometimes. What I do is pat the area with my hands - almost like if you were putting a baby to sleep. It will calm down after a while. If the area is red or irritated STOP using the peeling oil immediately. If it isn't, then what you're feeling is the chemical penetration, and you're fine.

#67 ·
The oil works by penetrating your older upper layers of skin and I don't know how old you are, but you've got a number of years of skin for that stuff to get through. Of course it's going to tingle! If it becomes irritated characterized by redness, swelling, or bruising that's when you stop. Other than that, let the product do its thing.

#69 ·
@hipvalley now that I have done my last application of 3X3 of the yellow peeling oil when can I expect to start seeing some peeling? Should i continue applying the oil until I start to see peeling or should i stop and wait? Will peeling begin when I take my first shower tomorrow? I might go to my gym and sit in the sauna for awhile, is this a good idea or no?

#70 ·
@hipvalley now that I have done my last application of 3X3 of the yellow peeling oil when can I expect to start seeing some peeling? Should i continue applying the oil until I start to see peeling or should i stop and wait? Will peeling begin when I take my first shower tomorrow? I might go to my gym and sit in the sauna for awhile, is this a good idea or no?
if you've completed your 3x3 you can stop. Peeling should begin within the next 7 days, and everyone is different. Yes, the sauna will help. Just remember, no soaps with acids or perfumes, and DONT scratch. When your skin starts to peel, don't pull it off. You can "help" it a little but don't force the skin off it if it isn't ready on its own. As a rule, if the old skin is already lifted from your new skin underneath, it's ok to take it off. Fingernail scissors will be an asset to clip off the hanging skin.

I soak in the tub to help my skin peel. Hulu or Netflix and a glass of wine will help you pass the time! Pat your skin dry and don't scrub with your washcloth or towel.