Hello everybody!

Thread: Hello everybody!

Hello everybody!

Hi, my name is Eric and I am an Animal Technician at a leading medical institute in California, USA!

I'm 22 years old and I've been reading these forums for awhile now. I'm amazed at how many people go through the same issues as me! Well I'll start by telling a little about myself. I'm an artist and a Animal Technician. I take care of many species ranging from mice to primates. I've always been an animal enthusiast and have been taking care of them all my life. I've always been a cheerful person my entire life, people always comment how I am always smiling. But deep down inside I am very insecure and sad. Up until the age of 13 I had the most perfect skin, I would always be told by others that they were so jealous. My pores are naturally almost invisible. But little did I know this would lead to my teenage hell.

When I was 13 and just entering High School I was getting up in the morning to get ready to go get our freshmen photos taken. When I looked in the mirror I noticed I had a weird bump between my eyes. I didn't think much of it at all and just went on ignoring it. Then what seemed like over-night I was covered in cystic acne all over my face. It started a few weeks after my grandpa had a heart attack and died in my arms, being that young I was obviously under alot of stress and trauma from this occurence. Kid's at school would pick on me saying I had warts all over my face and that it was disgusting. Then 2 weeks into sophomore year the most embarassing incident happened to me.

While in class a student chucked a book and it hit me in the face. I immediately covered my face because of the pain. As everyone turned to look at me I removed my hand and puss and blood started pouring down my cheek because of the book bursting open a rediculously large pustule on my cheek. Everyone in class started laughing and screaming at the sight of me. I started crying and ran out of class all the way home. Because of that incident I refused to goto school anymore and ditched the remainder of my high school years. After numerous steroid shots into my face I was finally ridden of the cystic acne at the age of 19. But, I was left with scars that when compared to the cystic acne I had fall short in comparison, but still haunt me everytime I look into the mirror.

For the past few years I've dealt with the ridicule from women, co-workers, and acquaintances about the scarring on my face. Even though it't not as bad as others I've seen it still feels like a big deal to me. Now at the age of 22 I am starting a full pledged journey to a new face and a new me. After spending the past few years drinking my problems away I've now thrown away those bad habits (as of this past new years ) and taken a new lead on life.

I look forward to sharing my journey with all of you and being apart of your journeys aswell. Sorry for writing so much!

Thanks for reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Hi Eric, thanx for sharing with us.
    Hopefully some of us can be of help to you. My son also had cystic acne and the only way He could get it under control was with a very strong drug, roacutane.

For the life of me I can't understand how mean some people can be. We are all a part of the same human race and ALL experience difficult issues in our lives. A little compassion and understanding can go a long way and is easy to give.

I was reading on one of the threads that NuDerm by Obagi is good for acne scarring, it might be worth a try.

Hope to hear from you again.

Hi Eric, and welcome to the site! it's true that kids ( and some adults) can be absolutely cruel. I've dealt with it myself when I was young. Sorry to hear you had to go through that (I don't wish that upon anybody!) But there is a bright side you found this site ...a virtual fountain of information at your finger tips so that is a plus for you. I guess you have scars from the acnee, have you thought about at home dermabrassions? they do help. I have no scars left and I've been doing it at home for a year. I do it once a week, maybe it could help you too- and it won't break the piggy bank.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the warm welcome

What kind of at home dermabrassions are you talking of? Could you link me to a good one? Thanks!

edit: Are you pertaining to microdermabrasion? I've used the loreal kit for a few months and it did smooth my face a bit but didn't do much in diminishing the scarring.

I use the one from Avon, it's dirt cheap 20$ a tube will last me a couple of months. What I like is that it seems to buff off the scars. It takes time, but it worked for me, it took about 2 months for other people to notice the difference, but I noticed it after the first three times or so. I do it once or twice a week, there is no down time I like that but if you start to do that go and get your self one good sunscreen I use Vichy spf 60, I get samples at the local beauty shop. Good luck if that is what you want to do!

Thank you for your help! I'll definitely give Avon a shot if this TCA peel I am doing right now doesn't achieve the results I am looking for! Thanks again!

Do keep us informed Eric, we're interested to hear how you get on!

10. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements