Skin Care Talk banner

Face care and alllll your face issues here ..!!

249K views 814 replies 102 participants last post by  pengcaramelglo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there my lovely family :hand::wavey: ... ,

I said I'll start this thread and after several prompts from lotsa my besties ( @pinksunshine , @Teesh, @Kays etc. ) on here its finally here ... :dogdance::yay::cowdance::catdance::yess::reddance: ....

Okay, over the years, I have laboured and sweated to find the right products and regi' for my face and I learnt from @John-Dave that I'm not the only one. I am still searching and I've made lotsa mistakes from trial and error. Thanks to @Fluffington , I've ordered some MB (Mitchell Brands) gels, creams and serums which come in today to try out. Meanwhile, my latest success has been using plain G&G lotion and oil on my face thanks to @moon maiden 's advise.

Along the way I've picked up some bits and pieces of face care tidbits from peeps on here ... e.g. its from @BrownBerries that I learnt to put some raw shea butter around my eyes to avoid eye area thinning at night, from Fluffy I learnt to wash my face with my bare hands - no washcloth, from @nirhtuc I learnt not to wash my face in the morning but rather to splash on water then vit.c serum and moisturizer, from @hipvalley I got the tip to use rosehip oil, & from Mama @gymrat - most of all I need to know about RA, Mandelic peels and face cleansing I learnt from you ... By the way Gymmie, thanks for your help - without you this thread would not be possible hun.

There's also alot of homecare remedies we all know ... e.g. Moonies youghurt+honey+lemon face mask, which lets share on here. I've heard it said hot water shouldnt be used on the face to avoid ageing :hmm::nixweiss: Also heard that tumeric is great for face (soon tryin this out to see) ...

My current face regi' is quite simple : - USA Black Spot Vit.C Soap am and pm, 55H+ Purete toner am and pm, Perfect White serum (has ascorbic acid 3rd ingredient) for day, G&G lotion + oil, RA 0.025% on alternate nights, 42 Heures Juste face serum ( has la, ga and sa) before my gng lotion on the alternate nights when I'm not doing RA, Lakme Sun Expert Spf 50+ sunscreen (with cucumber & lemon grass), Dead Sea facial mud mask (bi-weekly) ...

Would like to get a much lighter and natural looking face hence the MB stuff I'm starting on in a couple of days - will update here. Unlike what most people say and think, the face can be quite a bagful. Personally, my face aint lightening as fast and as well as I'd like it to. Also considering getting some alpha hydrox cream/lotion and reviva labs cream.

FACE: technical, complicated, needs much strategy ... IMHO ...

This thread is now officially open for ALL & ANYTHING FACE!! FACE, FACE & MORE FACE .... Lets go guys.

Thanks ya'll ... :hugs::kisskiss::hugs:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice thread idea Aime! I have to thank everyone for suggesting Vit E oil and Neosporone for the scratches from my car crash. It's healed fast and I don't see any scarring. I'll continue skin building my face until next month and begin exfoliatating again

#3 ·
Thanks PM , & I'm glad you healed well. Mehn, face can drive you nuts I tell you ... & I totally agree- Vit.E oil is wonderful. I forgot to add that I also use Vit.E oil at times after gng lotion which can be abit drying ... I use the one by Nature's Bounty thats got 30,000 IU - which is 333% of the RDA value. Quite conc' ...

#4 ·
Btw @PriorityMale, what are you using to skinbuild your face please? ...

#5 ·
Another tip is to not to use hot water to wash your face
Try and use warm water, hot dries out your skin and washes away the natural oil
Always pay your face dry, some towels no matter how delicate they are when rubbed across the face, the fibres can tear the skin
Try and stay away from soapy, foamy cleaners and use more oil based cleansers if your face can tolerate it
Nightly moisturisation is essential as well
Your pillows at night should be silk and not cotton as cotton can dry out your skin during the night
Your lips don't produce oils like the rest of
your skin, so whenever you lick your lips it dries out the oils, so lip balm is essential.
An above poster mentioned Shea butter around the eyes at night to prevent skin thinning which is essential, also try and use around the liens around your mouth to nose area
Most people's faces glow when they wake up, avoid soaps in the am and use water to wash your face (unless your skin is oily) then go about your daily routine

#6 ·
1. Another tip is to not to use hot water to wash your face
Try and use warm water, hot dries out your skin and washes away the natural oil
2. Always pay your face dry, some towels no matter how delicate they are when rubbed across the face, the fibres can tear the skin
3. Try and stay away from soapy, foamy cleaners and use more oil based cleansers if your face can tolerate it
4. Nightly moisturisation is essential as well
5. Your pillows at night should be silk and not cotton as cotton can dry out your skin during the night
6. Your lips don't produce oils like the rest of
your skin, so whenever you lick your lips it dries out the oils, so lip balm is essential.
7. An above poster mentioned Shea butter around the eyes at night to prevent skin thinning which is essential, also try and use around the liens around your mouth to nose area
8. Most people's faces glow when they wake up, avoid soaps in the am and use water to wash your face (unless your skin is oily) then go about your daily routine
8 Great & Amazing face care tips !!!
Thanks @BlackGold , I'm definitely implementing ...

#15 ·
Hey @BeautifulTime ... I got Neoprosone Vit.C gel, Milk protein cream, Lemonvate Vit.C gel and Milk protein serum ...

#9 ·
Awesome thread @AIME, and as always you are most welcome for the help!! I knew with just a few prompts you'd be off and running with this thread :thumbsup:

As for tips, I always cleanse my face with cleanser and a sponge or microfiber at night, then in the AM splash with water. UNLESS, I have used RA the night before, then I will do a quick cleanse with cleanser, otherwise, its splash n go!

Also, try applying your products to damp skin, helps SO much for penetration as well as not going through so much product. A little honestly goes a long ways, and one way to help that is applying on damp skin. Not dripping wet skin, just damp!

A great way to add moisture to your routine, without having to make it complicated is fine a pure oil, no other fillers in it, just 100% pure, use this in place of your moisturizer. 1-2 drops is all you need. If you need light oil look for Kukui Nut, Grapeseed, Red Raspberry Seed. If acne prone, Jojoba, Grapeseed, Watermelon, Hazelnut. If you have dry skin look for thicker oils, Neem, Hemp, Rosehip, Macadamia Nut, Apricot, all great choices. Facial oils are great to use, for face or body moisturizers and usually are much cheaper than an actual cream/lotion, plus minus all the crap/ingredients that goes in them!!

We all are here for the same reason, skincare, and without sharing and caring, this forum would not exist. Keep up the great work my friends!! :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

#10 ·
Awesome thread @AIME, and as always you are most welcome for the help!! I knew with just a few prompts you'd be off and running with this thread

As for tips, I always cleanse my face with cleanser and a sponge or microfiber at night, then in the AM splash with water. UNLESS, I have used RA the night before, then I will do a quick cleanse with cleanser, otherwise, its splash n go!

Also, try applying your products to damp skin, helps SO much for penetration as well as not going through so much product. A little honestly goes a long ways, and one way to help that is applying on damp skin. Not dripping wet skin, just damp!

A great way to add moisture to your routine, without having to make it complicated is fine a pure oil, no other fillers in it, just 100% pure, use this in place of your moisturizer. 1-2 drops is all you need. If you need light oil look for Kukui Nut, Grapeseed, Red Raspberry Seed. If acne prone, Jojoba, Grapeseed, Watermelon, Hazelnut. If you have dry skin look for thicker oils, Neem, Hemp, Rosehip, Macadamia Nut, Apricot, all great choices. Facial oils are great to use, for face or body moisturizers and usually are much cheaper than an actual cream/lotion, plus minus all the crap/ingredients that goes in them!!

We all are here for the same reason, skincare, and without sharing and caring, this forum would not exist. Keep up the great work my friends!!
Lovee hemp seed oil!

#11 ·
my face has this glow to it in the morning also and seems to be calm. as the day goes on it gets dry in some places and oily in the middle. tried a new cetaphil cleanser and though i'm not 100% sure i think it contributed to my breakout. i'm trying acv toner and the aztec mask soon.

i might try organic honey as a cleanser. i read that evening primrose supplements helped with skin. i might look into that in the future.

#14 ·
my face regime depends on what my face is going through:

PM
I remove makeup with a mix of Hemp Oil and Tea tree essential oil or i may just use coconut oil
I wash with a peroxide soap (can't remember the name now), sometimes I wash with Bronner Brothers (sometimes Dead Sea Salt soap)
Then I use ACV as a toner and use whatever products I want to use... sometimes Reviva Labs Glycolic 5% or salicylic acid - I once tried to use amlactin on my face and had to dance around for about an hour. It was too much.
then I add cape fear aurbitin (waste) or reviva labs lightening lotion... some nights i just mositurize.
I want to start using my day face lotions at night now cause its so hot i cant use it in the day time.

AM:
rinse or wash depending,
acv toner
spray with rosewater
moisturizer
Devita sunscreen.

#19 ·
Hey there my lovely family :hand::wavey: ... ,

I said I'll start this thread and after several prompts from lotsa my besties ( @pinksunshine , @Teesh, @Kays etc. ) on here its finally here ... :dogdance::yay::cowdance::catdance::yess::reddance: ....

Okay, over the years, I have laboured and sweated to find the right products and regi' for my face and I learnt from @John-Dave that I'm not the only one. I am still searching and I've made lotsa mistakes from trial and error. Thanks to @Fluffington , I've ordered some MB (Mitchell Brands) gels, creams and serums which come in today to try out. Meanwhile, my latest success has been using plain G&G lotion and oil on my face thanks to @moon maiden 's advise.

Along the way I've picked up some bits and pieces of face care tidbits from peeps on here ... e.g. its from @BrownBerries that I learnt to put some raw shea butter around my eyes to avoid eye area thinning at night, from Fluffy I learnt to wash my face with my bare hands - no washcloth, from @nirhtuc I learnt not to wash my face in the morning but rather to splash on water then vit.c serum and moisturizer, from @hipvalley I got the tip to use rosehip oil, & from Mama @gymrat - most of all I need to know about RA, Mandelic peels and face cleansing I learnt from you ... By the way Gymmie, thanks for your help - without you this thread would not be possible hun.

There's also alot of homecare remedies we all know ... e.g. Moonies youghurt+honey+lemon face mask, which lets share on here. I've heard it said hot water shouldnt be used on the face to avoid ageing :hmm::nixweiss: Also heard that tumeric is great for face (soon tryin this out to see) ...

My current face regi' is quite simple : - USA Black Spot Vit.C Soap am and pm, 55H+ Purete toner am and pm, Perfect White serum (has ascorbic acid 3rd ingredient) for day, G&G lotion + oil, RA 0.025% on alternate nights, 42 Heures Juste face serum ( has la, ga and sa) before my gng lotion on the alternate nights when I'm not doing RA, Lakme Sun Expert Spf 50+ sunscreen (with cucumber & lemon grass), Dead Sea facial mud mask (bi-weekly) ...

Would like to get a much lighter and natural looking face hence the MB stuff I'm starting on in a couple of days - will update here. Unlike what most people say and think, the face can be quite a bagful. Personally, my face aint lightening as fast and as well as I'd like it to. Also considering getting some alpha hydrox cream/lotion and reviva labs cream.

FACE: technical, complicated, needs much strategy ... IMHO ...

This thread is now officially open for ALL & ANYTHING FACE!! FACE, FACE & MORE FACE .... Lets go guys.

Thanks ya'll ... :hugs::kisskiss::hugs:
Very kind of you for the mention, thanks hun.
You've also been very insightful and supportive. #TeamWork

#34 ·
I love that ... #TeamWork :thumbsup::thumbsup: ...

#35 ·
Thanks Hippie ... you're a valuable part of our family here ... Love your honest insighs.

#21 ·
Here's my face regi as follows.. My face is bright/glowy & my lips have gotten super pink.

Face:
Day
- Cleanse w/Water
- Tone w/witch hazel
- Apply hada labo/vitamin c/hyaluronic serum
- Apply neoprosone vitamin c gel (opt.)
- Apply sunscreen
Night
- Face Mask (3x/wk)
- Cleanse w/Rice water + silicone brush
OR AHA soap
- Tone w/GA + witch hazel
- Apply RA 0.1%(3-4x/wk)
- Apply Neoprosone gel (3-4x/wk)
- Emu oil/Aloe Vera gel (as needed)

Eyes: Nourish Organic eye treatment
Lips: Hypprogel lotion

#24 ·
hii all i am sorry to say this my face is in worse state now I am worried now I am using dudu osun as a face cleanser for both am and pm and avg (aloe vera gel) as a moisturizer but my acne are getting worse in they are leaving there black mark scar all over my face ;( :'( plz help
You need to discontinue the usage of Dudu Osun that soap is way too harsh for the skin... especially for the face.. can you tell me every product that u are using for your face..

#49 ·
I took once suffered from acne. Being that you only use 3 products it makes it easier to narrow down to figure which is causing you issues. Stop one product at a time and see if you see an improvement. Without even knowing the sunscreen your currently using............I'm going to say, THAT'S the problem!! Stop using the sunscreen, for a week, keep using the soap/moisturizer. See how things your skin looks.

Now........what brands are you using?? I know the soap your using, but what moisturizer and sunscreen products do you use??? These easy fixes.

#27 ·
@AIME.. Thank's for making this thread....... Some experience and tips... when it come to face skincare it's important to identify your skin type

1... Oily skin acne prone skin
2.Dry or dehydrated
3. Combo skin. could be many things.
4. Normal

I use to have oily acne prone skin.. I started off using harsh exfoliating soaps such as dudu osun and kojie san. and Maxi peel 3 Keep in mind these are great products when used carefully,, they gave me great results in the beginning but my face started to produce more oils and acne started to show up.. face was a mess for awhile last year... I also did not moisturize my face nor did I use sunscreen etc..... Now my face is dehydrated meaning lacking water where dry skin is lacking oils..
I did some research on skin types and learning to start a good skincare routine.. I incorporate good skincare with skin lightening products for my skin type and my routine is going well.... FIGURE OUT YOUR SKIN TYPE AND FIND PRODUCTS THAT ARE FORMULATED FOR YOUR FACE.. so an example of my skincare routine for face dehydrated skin

Hydrating cleanser.. I don;t use cleansers that foam up
Hydrating toner.. good moisturizing ingredients and antioxidants.. nothing with alcohol or witch hazel with alcohol
Exfoliating aha lotion for dry skin
skin lightening serums and creams.. I do use Neoprosone vitamin c gel and this works fine
moisturiizing thick cream
Oils...

Product Water Perfume Fluid Liquid
Product Skin care Cream Material property
Material property Skin care
Liqueur Bottle Drink Alcoholic beverage Liquid
Material property

#38 ·
@AIME.. Thank's for making this thread....... Some experience and tips... when it come to face skincare it's important to identify your skin type

1... Oily skin acne prone skin
2.Dry or dehydrated
3. Combo skin. could be many things.
4. Normal

I use to have oily acne prone skin.. I started off using harsh exfoliating soaps such as dudu osun and kojie san. and Maxi peel 3 Keep in mind these are great products when used carefully,, they gave me great results in the beginning but my face started to produce more oils and acne started to show up.. face was a mess for awhile last year... I also did not moisturize my face nor did I use sunscreen etc..... Now my face is dehydrated meaning lacking water where dry skin is lacking oils..
I did some research on skin types and learning to start a good skincare routine.. I incorporate good skincare with skin lightening products for my skin type and my routine is going well.... FIGURE OUT YOUR SKIN TYPE AND FIND PRODUCTS THAT ARE FORMULATED FOR YOUR FACE.. so an example of my skincare routine for face dehydrated skin

Hydrating cleanser.. I don;t use cleansers that foam up
Hydrating toner.. good moisturizing ingredients and antioxidants.. nothing with alcohol or witch hazel with alcohol
Exfoliating aha lotion for dry skin
skin lightening serums and creams.. I do use Neoprosone vitamin c gel and this works fine
moisturiizing thick cream
Oils...

View attachment 17081 View attachment 17089 View attachment 17097 View attachment 17105 View attachment 17113
This is priceless input..!!! You couldnt be more right JD ... & I honestly think thats the No. 1 problem of all face hurdles - Not knowing/Not taking into account your skin type ... Personally I must confess I didnt ever give this a thought at the beginning; plus I had zero idea about ingredients and the way they act up on the face - talk about childish and careless naiveity :doh: I paid heftily for being ignorant.

I have this combo-weird face skin thats oily in the middle nose area, and dry-normal elsewhere. So I tend towards light face applications, which is why I gravitate more towards gels, serums and lotions than oils or creams (gng cream for instance messed me up!) ...

The interesting thing with virgin skin is that just about anything seems to work well at the beginning - until ofcourse the real skin-type isssues start to act up ... hehehee

Oh - I've always thought foaming soaps and cleansers are the best (to remove dirt) especially if you've gat oily/acne prone skin bro' .... Had no idea it can be detrimental.

#40 · (Edited)
View attachment 17121 View attachment 17129 View attachment 17137
So to conclude my rant skin lightening is more that just buying skin lightening soaps and applying a bleaching cream.. its about incorporating good skincare as well
1000% CORRECT RANT ..!!! :roflmao:

I'm also thrilled to add that I got me some of that MB neoprosone vit.c gel thanks to yours n Fluffys unending raves about it. Starting on it soon after I do an la peel and mud mask on my face - prolly next week :five:

Your face-stash is giving mine a serious run for my money!! - Alpha hydrox, Cerave, Noxzema, Hydraluron, Sweet Almond oil - ya aint playin bro' ..!! I need to incorporate hyaluronic acid next ...

#41 ·
Get in here chap chap my dear @chocowhite ... Lets hear your guruness input on the matter :five::arco:

#60 ·
Get in here chap chap my dear @chocowhite ... Lets hear your guruness input on the matter :five::arco:
@AIME @gymrat thanks so much for your help dears !!

So for most people face is usually not an issue when it comes to lightening & maintenance but for me,,well talk of a struggle!!

I'm finally able to post! :arco:
Feels good to be back home lol

So for most people face is usually not an issue when it comes to lightening but for me,,well talk of a struggle!!

Oily skin is really hard to take care of but mine has been sth else. Around end november last year i broke out bad and I didn't know it was cystic acne till around mid december. Worst nightmare of my life!
I had to stop all lighteners on my face and embark on tackling my cystic acne before everything else. You can picture how Christmas was hell for me, given I'm very skin conscious.
I took to Google for tips and solutions not knowing that cystic acne was on a whole other level. From then on it was trial after error after trial after error and it just got worse. I tried salicylic acid astringents, lA peels, hell I even tried homemade lemon juice mask( burnt like a b**ch!!). Each time I was left with a red face full of huge cysts, nodules,pustules, dark scars from previous cysts and a broken heart ������. At some point I couldn't smile coz I had painful cysts on the corners of my mouth.
It was sooo depressing that at one time I decided to pop out all the cysts (another bad idea!) I feel like I tried almost all the acne solutions online lol.

But after all that struggle I finally tried retin A and this is what fixed me up completely, I myself can't even believe my face has healed this much. It was hell on earth, really I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I went through those 3 months.Y'all can google cystic acne & see the horror I went through
I however learnt a thing or two along the way about oily skin & cystic acne, or as they say,,, "beauty in the struggle" ������

1. If your skin type is oily, avoid acne solutions that are alcohol based. (Alba botanica acne astringent messed me up with this) Pimples are a combination of sebum, dead skin cells and dirt that accumulate at the surface. Alcohol dries out the skin at first but later aggravates the sebum production and increase chances of oily skin breaking out. The acne becomes cystic if it goes to deeper layers forming painful lumps that can be palpated underneath the skin.

2. Avoid products that are oily if you can but if you must, get oils that are non comedogenic.( gymrat might have already posted some of them earlier.
If your skin is really oily (like mine, lol the oil can be extracted to fill a serum bottle ������������) just avoid oily products.

3. Retin A is a staple!!& not only for oily skin people. This cream is absolutely a must for me bcs it tackles the problem from underneath. It penetrates to the deepest layers of the skin & stimulates new collagen production for tougher younger skin. It is also keratolytic & hence good for exfoliation of those dead skin cells.
It also controls sebum production & so limits chances of break outs ������

Precautions should however be taken with this cream. Apply it less frequently at first and increase frequency with time to allow your skin to build tolerance. If you'll be out in the sun, avoid application & use sunscreen bcz it makes the skin sensitive. During the first weeks of application, avoid using it with AHAs and BHAs or any other astringents or acidic lighteners & even after building tolerance, use them in mild amounts.
Also this cream(as most others, requires patience for it to work. Give it a minimum of 8 weeks to see an improvement. I'm currently on week 7 and my skin is so smooth and pimple free almost like I had no cysts in the first place :)

4. For lightening oily skin, I'd advise to go the natural way & esp with light texture water based gels and creams.
I'm currently using Lemonvate with vitamin c from Mitchell & I'm loving it!Great scent, light consistency & leaves a great matté finish like I have make up on. :)

5. Avoid touching your face with anything. Hands could be dirty, clothes could be abrasive and so it's just better to not tempt esp oily skin.

6. Don't overwash your face. Twice a day is enough no matter how oily your skin is. Avoid overdrying soaps. At first I thought these were the best for oily types but like alcohols, they aggravate sebum production (well for me). A mild soap (non scented preferably) is enough.

7. Homemade remedies are cool, but for oily skin I suggest not to tempt. It's ok if you've already tried them & they work without side effects but if you've not tried I'd advise to leave it that way. Some of these homemade remedies if not dermatologically adjusted to suit the pH of the skin can cause breakouts due to pH imbalance.

8. Supplements are not raved about but in my opinion they're really essential for that extra healthy looking radiance. Vitamin c and fish oil are great supplements (I'm currently using the brands by Quest) I also heard zinc & biotin are great for oily skin but I'm yet to incorporate these.

In conclusion, I just want to say if you make your skin a priority that must be taken care of, then your hard work will radiate through it. I'll admit that at first I prioritised lightening over all other aspects but through this experience I've learnt that good skin is all about texture, radiance & that healthy looking glow ������������

Sorry for the long essay guys ������������ but I hope it helps someone out there.

:kisskiss:

#42 ·
@AIME.. Yes foaming cleansers are recommended and great for oily/ acne prone skin... for someone with dry skin that doesn't produce oils it can wreck havoc on my skin and make me extremely tight and then i tend to breakout if i continue to you use foaming stuff... I use non alcohol witch hazel to clean my pores also a glycolic acid lotion keeps my pores clean and clear..

#46 · (Edited)
Oh, I'd gotten the foam cleansing for oily skin mixed up then - Thanks for clarifying.

#52 ·
No problemo ...

#50 ·
Hi! I just did my 4th 40% peel 6 hours ago, but had to run errands(silly me I forgot to think ahead of doing my peel). I put on sunblock (mixed with Nivea lotion for moisture quality) and I was in the sun less than an hour, anyways I got out of the shower and noticed these pink "scars"? (Raw-ISH skin texture) and I was wondering if it's PIH? Please let me know, I'll be buying a bottle of neosporin on my way to work, thanks in advance. Please mention me so I can get a notification sent to me thanks.

Attachments

#53 ·
Which part of ur body is this issue manifesting ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.