Need body oil mix for dry skin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Need body oil mix for dry skin

Need body oil mix for dry skin

My toddlers and I have dry skin that is eczema prone and pih prone. I want to make a nice smelling body oil spray for daily use to make skin even toned and soft and smelling nice. So far I have 100 percent unrefined coconut oil, sweet almond oil, evoo, and a couple of drops of vitamin e oil in my spray bottle. I'm planning to get emu oil and adding a couple of drops as well. What could I add to create a nice smell without irritating our skin? And what other carrier oils could I add?
    @gymrat you know a lot about diy skin care, any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

@Inahet I would add a few drops of lavender "essential" oil to your mix for fragrance. As for other carrier oils I would add avocado oil is a nice choice.

Have you tried using shea and or cocoa butter?? Those are nice as well and should help.

Do you run a humidifier for your baby? If not give it try.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

@gymrat thanks you always have great ideas! Definitely going to try avocado oil and lavender. I would like to add Shea and cocoa but I think it will thicken the mixture too much that it won't be able to be sprayed, do u think if I put a little of each melted it won't thicken it much?

I use the humidifier in the winter and that's helped with our dry skin. But the eczema is pretty much under control because of the oils but I just don't like the smell of coconut and olive and almond oil. I'm more concerned with the hyperpigmentation spots they have like me. Perhaps I need to exfoliate their feet even tho they are 3 and 4 years old?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Inahet View Post
    @gymrat thanks you always have great ideas! Definitely going to try avocado oil and lavender. I would like to add Shea and cocoa but I think it will thicken the mixture too much that it won't be able to be sprayed, do u think if I put a little of each melted it won't thicken it much?

I use the humidifier in the winter and that's helped with our dry skin. But the eczema is pretty much under control because of the oils but I just don't like the smell of coconut and olive and almond oil. I'm more concerned with the hyperpigmentation spots they have like me. Perhaps I need to exfoliate their feet even tho they are 3 and 4 years old?
    Yep, I too don't like the smell of olive oil, I use it for a scrub in the shower but thats about it.

I'm surprised the coconut oil stays liquified enough to come out a spray bottle, wouldn't think it would. As for the shea and cocoa butter no those would harden and not be able to spray. You could melt them down and mix them with a bit of avocado oil though. The shea I get is smooth like butter it isn't a hard shea butter.

As for exfoliating gosh no I wouldn't exfoliate a 3 and 4 year old. Too young for that.

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Yep, I too don't like the smell of olive oil, I use it for a scrub in the shower but thats about it.

I'm surprised the coconut oil stays liquified enough to come out a spray bottle, wouldn't think it would. As for the shea and cocoa butter no those would harden and not be able to spray. You could melt them down and mix them with a bit of avocado oil though. The shea I get is smooth like butter it isn't a hard shea butter.

As for exfoliating gosh no I wouldn't exfoliate a 3 and 4 year old. Too young for that.
    in the summer my coconut oil stays liquified, doesn't take much heat to liquefy tho, if I do make this oil in fall and winter I would prob replace the coconut with some other oil or use jar instead. I still want to make a mix of Shea and cocoa butter I like that idea they both good for blemishes. As for exfoliating my kids skin, a soft loofa is what I had in mind lol. No scrubs, exfoliating soaps, or peels. Not even amlactin even though people use it on their infants, just don't want to thin their skin out, just soften the dark rough patches.

in the summer my coconut oil stays liquified, doesn't take much heat to liquefy tho, if I do make this oil in fall and winter I would prob replace the coconut with some other oil or use jar instead. I still want to make a mix of Shea and cocoa butter I like that idea they both good for blemishes. As for exfoliating my kids skin, a soft loofa is what I had in mind lol. No scrubs, exfoliating soaps, or peels. Not even amlactin even though people use it on their infants, just don't want to thin their skin out, just soften the dark rough patches.
    What kind of soap do you use on them? Be sure it basic and gentle like Cetaphil.

And be sure whatever you use is alcohol free, so be sure to read ingredients on any lotions etc. Also after you bath them, apply the lotion on damp skin, and if you need to mix in a little Aquaphor into the lotion do that. If I were going to pick a lotion I would look at this below......
    http://www.eucerinus.com/product/euc...ry-skin-lotion

@gymrat I use dove soap but only on underarms, neck and their groin and butt. Do you think eucerin and aquaphor is more effective than the oil mix for dry skin. They don't have active eczema now but idk if it is because it is summer or because oils are keeping the skin moist.

@gymrat I use dove soap but only on underarms, neck and their groin and butt. Do you think eucerin and aquaphor is more effective than the oil mix for dry skin. They don't have active eczema now but idk if it is because it is summer or because oils are keeping the skin moist.
    @Inahet , summer is when eczema usually doesn't flair up, the change of season and winter is probably when you notice it the most. If their skin is doing fine now with what you are using then stick with it. If you see its taking a change for the worse then give the Eucerin above a try, and again, regardless of what you use, try to always apply it on damp skin. This too will help them more than words can explain. Do this for yourself as well. I apply my lotion/oils always on damp skin. Helps penetration!!

Thanks @gymrat , I added avocado oil and lavender to the mix. I was thinking of adding emu oil and lemongrass essential oil as well to help with gradually fading scars on me and my kids skin. Do you think a couple of drops will make a difference?

Thanks @gymrat, I added avocado oil and lavender to the mix. I was thinking of adding emu oil and lemongrass essential oil as well to help with gradually fading scars on me and my kids skin. Do you think a couple of drops will make a difference?
    I love the smell of lemongrass, emu oil can be heavy, so use sparingly. But definitely can't hurt to try them. You won't know if something will work for you unless you try it! @Inahet

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements