help...I have melasma :(
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: help...I have melasma :(

help...I have melasma :(

I have been to a dermatologist for acne for approx 4 years. I have been on every antibiotic know to man/woman and have had numerous peels, tried retin A, duac gel and then finally was on accutane. I was so upset about acne that my doctor even referred me to a psych doctor cause it was affecting my life so badly. Accutane helped and I don't break out anymore and my skin looks great....but there is a catch, I have developed Melasma within the last year. I can't win. I stopped taking birthcontrol around december and have been on triluma and have noticed a huge change, however, who is to say that the next time I go in the sun that it's not going to come back. It's not fair, what am I not supposed to go in the sun and get a tan ever....any advice or any good news, I could use a pick me up right now!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

hi there. I feel your pain. I too was diagnosed with having melasma. I think if you use a good sunblock you should be okay for the most part. Especially since yours was caused by the birth control which you now stopped. It would seem to me that since the cause of the melasma has been removed, your hormones are probably starting to settle again and your melasma shouldnt be triggered so easily. Dont let it get you down. You dont want to miss out on all the great things life has to offer by staying indoors all the time and avoiding the sun. Just use a good sunblock (maybe ask your doctor to recommend one) and I think you will be just fine.

Thanks for your input, I need to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel! What are you taking to help yours? I highly recommend TriLuma it works like a charm! When I talked to my dermatologist on my last visit she thinks that another reason that my melasma was so bad is because I had a peel and then may have gone out in the sun afterwards. I started getting peels last spring/summer and was on a summer softball league and was out in the sun alot. She thinks that what my have triggered it and then the birthcontrol made it worse.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

I started getting that when I was on the birth control patch. Here are some things that help to prevent it:
    I went off of hormonal birth control
    a stable sunscreen
    staying out of the sun
    no tanning

I don't know if you're in the US, but some reliable and stable sunscreens are:
    Coppertone for oily faces SPF 30
    Cetaphil SPF 15
    Kiehl's Vital Sun SPF 15
    Neutrogena for sensitive skin (non-chemical) SPF 30
    2a/b curl, dry hair/scalp, med. thick, fine hair strands
    Dry, VERY sensitive skin with occasional break-outs

Hi selene. Which of those sunblocks is the least greasy?

Quote Originally Posted by SusanRL View Post
    Hi selene. Which of those sunblocks is the least greasy?
    The Coppertone sunscreen is definitely going to be the least greasy.

How oily is your skin?
    2a/b curl, dry hair/scalp, med. thick, fine hair strands
    Dry, VERY sensitive skin with occasional break-outs

Going off the pill will definately work, as well as staying out of the sun. I would recommend a natural sunscreen. Aubrey organic could be a good choice.

My dear friend is suffering from melasma for over two years. Trying to help her, I came across another women with melasma. Her experience she shared, that a product called Makari really helped her. I offered my friend a try and she too has seen significant results.

Going off the pill didn't work for me. However, I have kept it under control with suncreen and hats!! A good sunscreen to use is SOLBAR SPF38 with zinc. My dermatologist recommended it and so far it has really helped.

I'm 46, and for more than 5 years I have been struggling with melasma. Started with a little dark spot on my cheeks and now I have it all over my face. I don't smoke or drink, a practice yoga 3 times a weak, eat a good diet and I have never taken birth control pills or had kids. Two years ago I had a copper IUD removed which I used for 7 years. I don't know if copper is related to melasma problem but since the melasma started approximately the time when I had the IUD, I asked my doctor to check the copper level in my system.

I little info about my journey with doctors.
    I started with dermatologist which didn't help me at all. I had 4 chemical peeling, used Tri-Luma cream, cover my face with sun block like a crazy woman, and off course avoid sun exposure forever - no results, just spend my money and time. My melasma got a little bit lighter and in a couple weeks came back the same way it was. I realized that my problem is more complicated and my dermatologist told me to find an endocrinologist. Next doctor that I visited was my gynecologist no help, she didn't care. Now I am trying an endocrinologist. So far I have been tested for thyroid and, adrenal problems. These tests came back normal and I didn't get my melasma problem fixed. Now, I asked my doctor to have a more complex adrenal test (the one you have to use contrast intravenously). I also asked to check the levels of copper in my system and a thyroid auto-immunity test. Please I need help! Any ideas what else I can try? Any good endocrinologist in Atlanta, GA who understands melasma? I am not looking for a cosmetic solutions but the root cause of my melasma problem. Thanks

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements