Skin Care Talk banner

Essential Oils for Skin

22K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  jermsLiteSide 
#1 ·
This is not a complete this, but it's a good start. You can look up the specific characteristics of each oil for more details.

Rainbow Meadow Blend Recipe Calculator has an interesting blending chart that can be useful.

Normal Skin
Cedarwood
Elemi
Frankincense
Geranium
Jasmine
Lavender
Neroli
Palmarosa
Patchouli
Rose
Rosewood
Sandalwood
Tangerine
Vetiver

Dry Skin
Benzoin
Cedarwood
Carrot Seed
Chamomile
Citronella
Elemi
Geranium
Jasmine
Lavender
Litsea Cubeba
Manuka
Myrtle
Neroli
Orange
Patchouli
Palmarosa
Petitgrain
Rose
Rosewood
Sandalwood
Yarrow
Ylang Ylang

Oily/Acne Skin
Basil
Bergamot
Cajuput
Chamomile
Clary Sage
Clove Bud
Cypress
Elemi
Eucalyptus
Fennel
Frankincense
Geranium
Grapefruit
Helichrysum
Juniper Berry
Lavender
Lemon
Lemongrass
Lime
Linden Blossom
Orange
Mandarin
Melissa
Myrtle
Myrrh
Niaouli
Patchouli
Petitgrain
Rose
Rosemary
Rosewood
Sandalwood
Tea Tree
Vetiver
Yarrow
Ylang Ylang

Mature Skin
Carrot Seed
Clary Sage
Cypress
Fennel
Galbanum
Geranium
Frankincense
Lavender
Linden Blossom
Neroli
Rose
Sandalwood
Spikenard

Sensitive Skin
Chamomile
Jasmine
Lavender
Neroli
Rose
Rosewood

Congested Skin
Angelica
Basil
Clary Sage
Cypress
Eucalyptus
Fennel
Geranium
Grapefruit
Helichrysum
Hyssop
Juniper Berry
Lemon
Litsea Cubeba
Linden Blossom
Myrtle
Niaouli
Orange
Peppermint
Rosemary
Rosewood
Rose
Sage
Violet

Skin Tonics
Angelica
Basil
Chamomile
Fennel
Frankincense
Geranium
Juniper Berry
Lavender
Lemongrass
Lime
Orange
Petitgrain
Rose
Rosewood
Tangerine
Ylang Ylang

Softens the Skin
Cedarwood (blended with Cypress & Frankincense Neroli & Bergamot)
Grapefruit
Jasmine (blended with Mandarin & Lavender)
Neroli
Peppermint
Sandalwood

See less See more
#7 ·
Remember, this is an essential oil list, not a carrier oil list. Avocado, rosehip seed, rice bran, camellia, and jojoba are all carrier oils.

I'll get the carrier list posted shortly.

#13 ·
great list edensong! I'm a huge fan of EO and have been using them for years for aromatherapy and body treatments though i've been too chicken to try them on my face. a great resource for info and recipes is Valerie Ann Worwood's "The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy" (amazon). I got it a few years ago and have found it very useful and easy (not too techy) to read.

#14 ·
You can use EOs on your face, but you just have to use less than you would on your body -- 5 - 10 drops per oz will do the trick.

#15 ·
hi edensong
I love your new avatar, it says so much!
since we're snowed in today I was playing with my EO's and my 7 year old (boy) got very interested. he wanted to make a special cream for himself using the oils whose fragrance he prefers. He has very dry skin (body!) and loves sweet orange and grapefruit. i persuaded him that lavender is nice too and now i'm wondering if we can achieve some synergie that will work for dry skin with these. can you help with proportion? we are using Curel unscented lotion as a base with a little vit E and jojoba thrown in for good measure and i usually use 30 drops EO blend per 2 tablespoons carrier. your thoughts?

#16 ·
Thanks -- that's my great niece in the picture with me (I'm a grannie myself X 4 - oldest grandchild is 12).

First off, be careful how much you add, especially for children. 10 drops per oz for adults and half that for children. 2 T is 1 oz, so you only need 5 drops of EOs for him - 10 drops at the most. More can be added for therapeutic use, but use caution. Citrus oils can cause photo sensitivity, so be careful with those.

You want something calming for his skin, so lavender is a good choice. Roman or German chamomile would be good.

Here are some suggestions:

1 drop German chamomile
2 drops Bulgarian lavender
2 drops mandarin

OR

2 drops German chamomile
2 drops frankincense
5 drops Bulgarian lavender
2 drops violet leaf

OR

1 drop Bulgarian lavender
2 drops sweet orange
1 drop spearmint

OR

3 drops Bulgarian lavender
2 drops sweet orange
5 drops sandalwood

You can multiple these to make a quantity once you figure out what you like and what works. Then let it "marry" for a few days before adding to any lotion. Store in a dark glass bottom away from any light.

#17 ·

i knew i could count on you! first order of buss. will be to see which fragrances he likes...
thanks!

#19 ·
hope, you need to realize when you blend the EOs they will create a new scent with "tones" of the original scents. I know you want him to like it, but you also want it to work for him.

Prairie, I don't recommend using EOs under the eyes, because it's such sensitive skin -- not that it's "against any skin care code" but you have to be super careful not to get any near your eyes. Carrier oils do NOT make it worse -- they're great for under your eyes. You just need to use ones that are recommended for the eye area, like grapeseed, rosehip seed, and apricot kernel. Gels can be effective, too, but, of course, it depends on what's in them.

#21 ·
Hi....

I use essential oils mixed with my home made face creams. I think they make smaller and less noticeable my terrible bags under eyes. I use wild chamomile, geranium, bergamot, lavender...and a few others. I read someplace the best one for this problem is chamomile. It's not the end of the problem but a definite improvement...and a big one. People had asked me what I did to make less noticeable the under eye bag...so if others can see a change that means it's working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.