recommendations for dry/sensitive skin face moisturizer?

Thread: recommendations for dry/sensitive skin face moisturizer?

recommendations for dry/sensitive skin face moisturizer?

Would appreciate some advice/recommendations. Don't want to hijack beautysleep's post, so I'm posting a separate post here for DIY moisturizers for dry skin.

I have been researching DIY face moisturizers for a little while now and have only done simple things like using olive oil. But, it's not enough - my skin gets so parched and starts to hurt because it's so dry. Besides, I just want to take some bread and dip it on my face before stuffing it in my mouth anyway.

Would any of you have recommended recipes or sites for face moisturizers for people with super dry/sensitive skin? I need something that will retain the moisture in my skin. Thanks for reading this post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Hi ocres,
    You might try making a facial serum with some oils that are good for dry skin. A great combo is emu, rosehip seed, borage and Vit E. Some other choices are sweet almond, apricot kernel, camellia, cranberry seed, hempseed, pomegranate and wheat germ.

100% Edible Natural Organic Skin Care Formulator
    What is your skin eating?

Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Oooh - you rock edensong! That sounds great.

I have some almond oil but never thought of mixing it with those others (and frankly, I would never have thought of it anyway since I'm pretty uneducated about different oils, essences, extracts, etc.).

I'll check out how much emu oil costs, but I already have sweet almond oil and vitamin e oil at home so I'll start with that and will try to find rosehip and borage oils locally. How exciting! Just one question before I buy the rosehip and borage - can it absorb relatively easily enough in the morning so I can put on my makeup without having my makeup run or smear?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Since you've got sweet almond, why not start with some of the less expensive oils? The olive should be helping, but I got to wondering if you're using extra virgin olive oil. That's the only one to use on your skin. Since you've got Vit E, why not try the almond, olive and Vit E. It may not be as effective as the emu combo, but it's a place to start.

You don't need a lot and I would suggest you use it morning and evening. In the morning why not put it on well in advance of your makeup? That will give it time to absorb.

Apricot kernel and rice bran oil (forgot to mention that one) are less expensive. Jojoba is great for all skin types, so that's yet another one to consider.

Here's another thought . . . calendula infused extra virgin olive oil. Make your own -- purchase calendula flowers, stuff them in a quart jar and fill it up with EVOO. Make sure you push the flowers down and the oil is covering all the flowers. Put it in a warm dark place for about 6 weeks. Shake it every couple days. After 6 weeks, strain the oil with a coffee filter. Might need to do it a couple times. Voila! You will be amazed at how wonderful calendula infused oil is on your skin, especially if it's sensitive, as you say.

There is the option of doing the "hot" method for the infusion, too. I don't use that method, because I think it can damage some of the properties, but if you're in a hurry, you could try it.

For the hot method, fill a jar with the flowers and cover with olive oil. Place the jar up to the neck in a saucepan of water and bring to a medium temperature. Simmer for up to three hours. Then strain as above.

HTH

Hidden Content

7 drops carrot seed EO
    7 drops calendula EO
    3 drops geranium
    3 drops german chamomile
    1 tsp rose hip seed base oil
    1 tsp almond oil
    1 tsp macadamia oil
    1 Tbsp apricot kernel oil.

Add EOs first, then add base oil, shake for 2 minutes, use after 24 hours. Keep in a dark place at room tmpr.
    Use morning and night 3-5 drops on damp face, wait 5 min before applying moisturizer or makeup ( if desired).

That's a nice blend, Ms Purrfect.

Hidden Content

Lovely thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by edensong View Post
    Since you've got sweet almond, why not start with some of the less expensive oils? The olive should be helping, but I got to wondering if you're using extra virgin olive oil. That's the only one to use on your skin. Since you've got Vit E, why not try the almond, olive and Vit E. It may not be as effective as the emu combo, but it's a place to start.

You don't need a lot and I would suggest you use it morning and evening. In the morning why not put it on well in advance of your makeup? That will give it time to absorb.

Apricot kernel and rice bran oil (forgot to mention that one) are less expensive. Jojoba is great for all skin types, so that's yet another one to consider.

Here's another thought . . . calendula infused extra virgin olive oil. Make your own -- purchase calendula flowers, stuff them in a quart jar and fill it up with EVOO. Make sure you push the flowers down and the oil is covering all the flowers. Put it in a warm dark place for about 6 weeks. Shake it every couple days. After 6 weeks, strain the oil with a coffee filter. Might need to do it a couple times. Voila! You will be amazed at how wonderful calendula infused oil is on your skin, especially if it's sensitive, as you say.

There is the option of doing the "hot" method for the infusion, too. I don't use that method, because I think it can damage some of the properties, but if you're in a hurry, you could try it.

For the hot method, fill a jar with the flowers and cover with olive oil. Place the jar up to the neck in a saucepan of water and bring to a medium temperature. Simmer for up to three hours. Then strain as above.

HTH

10. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements