Skin Care Talk banner

Carrier Oils for Skin

124K views 155 replies 42 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
I've posted an essential oil list separately. The following are carrier oils for the essential oils.

This is not a be-all end-all list. Everyone has different skin and some oils in a different category might work for your type of skin, even if it's not listed in under your skin type. Remember, it's possible that some of the oils lists for your skin type may not work as well as others. It's a matter of trial and error. I also didn't list every possible oil available.

Normal Skin
Almond, sweet
Amla
Apricot kernel
Babassu
Brazil nut
Camellia
Castor
Emu
Cherry kernel
Coconut, extra virgin
Copaiba
Grapeseed
Jojoba
Meadowfoam
Palm
Papaya seed
Passion flower seed
Rice bran
Safflower
Squalane
Sunflower
Walnut

Dry Skin
Almond, sweet
Andiroba
Apricot kernel
Babassu
Blackcurrant seed
Black seed
Brazil nut
Calendula
Coconut, extra virgin
Copaiba
Cranberry seed
Emu
Evening primrose
Hazelnut
Hempseed
Jojoba
Kiwi seed
Kukui nut
Macadamia nut
Marula
Meadowfoam
Neem
Olive, extra virgin
Palm
Passion flower seed
Peach kernel
Pomegranate seed
Pumpkin seed
Rice bran
Rosehip seed
Safflower
Sesame
Shea
Squalane
Sunflower
Tamanu
Walnut
Wheat germ

Oily/Acne Skin
Babassu
Blackcurrant seed
Blueberry seed
Brazil nut
Camellia
Castor
Copaiba
Flax seed
Grapeseed
Hazelnut
Jojoba
Karanja
Kukui nut
Meadowfoam
Neem
Papaya seed
Passion flower seed
Red raspberry
Safflower
Squalane
Walnut
Watermelon

Mature Skin
Andiroba
Argan
Avocado
Babassu
Blackcurrant seed
Black raspberry seed
Black seed
Borage
Brazil nut
Camelina
Camellia
Cherry kernel
Coconut, extra virgin
Copaiba
Cranberry seed
Emu
Evening primrose
Hazelnut
Hempseed
Jojoba
Kiwi seed
Kukui nut
Macadamia nut
Marula
Meadowfoam
Olive, extra virgin
Palm
Papaya seed
Passion flower seed
Peach kernel
Pomegranate seed
Pumpkin seed
Rice bran
Rosehip seed
Safflower
Sea buckthorn berry
Sesame
Shea
Squalane
Sunflower
Tamanu
Walnut
Wheat germ

Sensitive Skin
Apricot kernel
Babassu
Calendula
Camellia
Copaiba
Cranberry seed
Emu
Flax seed
Jojoba
Kukui nut
Neem
Rice bran
St. John's Wort
Squalane

Anti-Inflammatory
Almond, sweet
Andiroba
Babassu
Borage
Calendula
Castor
Copaiba
Emu
Evening primrose
Flax seed
Hazelnut
Hempseed
Olive, extra virgin
Passion flower seed
Pomegranate seed
Red raspberry seed
Rosehip seed
Sea buckthorn berry
Shea
Tamanu
Wheat germ

See less See more
#6 ·
Andiroba has similar properties to that of Neem oil but *without* the characteristic unfriendly scent. Avocado, babassu, camellia, castor, coconut, grapeseed, jojoba, and hempseed are suppose to help stimulate hair growth. Virtually all the oils are good for moisturizing and strengthening the hair shafts.

I've read that Sapote Seed oil and Brahmi oil help with hair loss, but I've not used them.

Work with what you've got. Try mixing grapeseed and jojoba and add rosemary and juniper EOs.

#7 ·
Thanks I will give it a go^^!!

Darn and I saw Brahmi oil today when I was out and about. I just might have to go get that tomorrow and try it as well. I have been applying Skinactives Hair serum but also wanted to try a few oils and see how I do with them.

The Skinactives product is nice, it just makes my hair SUPER crusty and I can't stand it. I only apply it at night when my hair is wet, but still, it makes my head almost stick to my pillow case-
when I wake in the AM Mr Gymrat goes-

#8 ·
I don't know what's in their hair serum, so I'm unsure why it leaves your hair crusty.

You can use the oils lightly, like a leave in conditioner or in a heavier application, similar to a hot oil treatment. It won't happen overnight, though, so give it time.

#9 ·
What carrier oil works best with Frankincense. Also, can you tell me how much of each to mix. I'd like to use on my face. What do you think about that? The oil was given to me for my pet who had tumors and I was desperate to try anything. He has since passed and I wasn't sure what to do with the leftover oil. Thanks!

#11 ·
Hi Mimi,
Yes, aloe is wonderful for sensitive skin and other skin types. I didn't list aloe, because it's technically not an oil. I also, didn't list butters. When I have time, I'll list butters separately.

If you use aloe with any oils, an emulsifier is helpful to blend the oil and water together. Lecithin is what I would suggest, however, there are other options, some more natural than others. Waxes can help. I just prefer lecithin, because it's so beneficial to the skin.

Even if you didn't use an emulsifier, it would work -- you'd simply have to shake the bottle before use.

#14 ·
Hi Edensong:

Yes, somebody gave me a bottle of the Frankincense EO. I am 44 years old and I have fair, dry pretty sensitive skin. I'd like to get the best carrier oil for my skin type. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help!

#18 ·
Sorry, dingomate, I've been away from the computer the past couple days. Nature's Gift is a great company -- in fact, they're in my community (Nashville). You could certainly order what fawnie is using or get some of the oils lists and make your own!

#20 ·
I understand, dingomate. Folks like you keep folks like me in business.

Here's another site I forgot to add to the list:
Nature's Flavors

#21 ·
Thanks Edensong! I have been looking for Stevia flavored syrups and this site has several that I'd like to try.

I have to tell everybody my love for Frankincense. The last three days I've been putting a couple drops of the pure Frankincense EO mixed with my moisturizer and applying twice a day and wow what a difference in my skin. It's not nearly is inflamed and irritated as it was. I am starting to think it was from the Vit. C serum since I have such sensitive skin. Is it possible Frankincense could work that quickly? Thanks again everybody.

#23 ·
Absolutely, dingomate. Like fawnie said, it's anti-inflammatory. It's one of my favorite EOs.

Yes, Nature's Flavors has oodles of interesting goodies to try out -- loads of organics, too! I just realized I posted that here, instead of under suppliers.
I'm a dork.

#26 ·
Eden, I'm having a hard time finding cold pressed organic unrefined castor oil and also sunflower. What does cold processed mean, is it the same as cold pressed?

#27 ·
Where did you hear the term cold processed? I'm guessing they meant cold pressed. If it was me, then I mistyped.
Either expeller pressed or cold pressed is fine. Which method is used is dependent upon the hardness of the nut or seed.

You can read a short descriptive here.

There are several suppliers from which to choose. Did you look at the Supplier Resource List?

Mountain Rose Herbs is an excellent supplier.

Organic Castor Oil Profile

It's unlikely you will find unrefined castor oil. The Risin, a toxin in the bean, must be removed before use. You can find organic though. MRH also carries organic sunflower.

Organic Sunflower Oil Profile

I don't know if they offer the cheapest price, but their quality can't be beat. Do some research and check out the suppliers listed to find places you like.

#29 ·
Yeah, they mean cold pressed, but it really is the same.

And there's nothing wrong with what they're offering either. Good find!

Why not add that site along with its sister site (rejuvenative.com) to the supplier list?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.