Skin Care Talk banner

Carrier Oils for Skin

124K views 155 replies 42 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
I've posted an essential oil list separately. The following are carrier oils for the essential oils.

This is not a be-all end-all list. Everyone has different skin and some oils in a different category might work for your type of skin, even if it's not listed in under your skin type. Remember, it's possible that some of the oils lists for your skin type may not work as well as others. It's a matter of trial and error. I also didn't list every possible oil available.

Normal Skin
Almond, sweet
Amla
Apricot kernel
Babassu
Brazil nut
Camellia
Castor
Emu
Cherry kernel
Coconut, extra virgin
Copaiba
Grapeseed
Jojoba
Meadowfoam
Palm
Papaya seed
Passion flower seed
Rice bran
Safflower
Squalane
Sunflower
Walnut

Dry Skin
Almond, sweet
Andiroba
Apricot kernel
Babassu
Blackcurrant seed
Black seed
Brazil nut
Calendula
Coconut, extra virgin
Copaiba
Cranberry seed
Emu
Evening primrose
Hazelnut
Hempseed
Jojoba
Kiwi seed
Kukui nut
Macadamia nut
Marula
Meadowfoam
Neem
Olive, extra virgin
Palm
Passion flower seed
Peach kernel
Pomegranate seed
Pumpkin seed
Rice bran
Rosehip seed
Safflower
Sesame
Shea
Squalane
Sunflower
Tamanu
Walnut
Wheat germ

Oily/Acne Skin
Babassu
Blackcurrant seed
Blueberry seed
Brazil nut
Camellia
Castor
Copaiba
Flax seed
Grapeseed
Hazelnut
Jojoba
Karanja
Kukui nut
Meadowfoam
Neem
Papaya seed
Passion flower seed
Red raspberry
Safflower
Squalane
Walnut
Watermelon

Mature Skin
Andiroba
Argan
Avocado
Babassu
Blackcurrant seed
Black raspberry seed
Black seed
Borage
Brazil nut
Camelina
Camellia
Cherry kernel
Coconut, extra virgin
Copaiba
Cranberry seed
Emu
Evening primrose
Hazelnut
Hempseed
Jojoba
Kiwi seed
Kukui nut
Macadamia nut
Marula
Meadowfoam
Olive, extra virgin
Palm
Papaya seed
Passion flower seed
Peach kernel
Pomegranate seed
Pumpkin seed
Rice bran
Rosehip seed
Safflower
Sea buckthorn berry
Sesame
Shea
Squalane
Sunflower
Tamanu
Walnut
Wheat germ

Sensitive Skin
Apricot kernel
Babassu
Calendula
Camellia
Copaiba
Cranberry seed
Emu
Flax seed
Jojoba
Kukui nut
Neem
Rice bran
St. John's Wort
Squalane

Anti-Inflammatory
Almond, sweet
Andiroba
Babassu
Borage
Calendula
Castor
Copaiba
Emu
Evening primrose
Flax seed
Hazelnut
Hempseed
Olive, extra virgin
Passion flower seed
Pomegranate seed
Red raspberry seed
Rosehip seed
Sea buckthorn berry
Shea
Tamanu
Wheat germ

See less See more
#32 ·
I was looking at the list I posted and neglected to add rosehip seed to the sensitive and oily/acne list.

Rosehip seed oil is suppose to help rosacea. A good combo would be emu, rosehip seed, borage and Vit E. Sea buckthorn and tamanu would also be worth adding. A bit of Helichrysum EO mixed in would top it off. Oh, rice bran oil is another thought.

#33 ·
Another thought for rosacea - Helichrysum (corsican) hydrosol with Roman chamomile, and a bit of lavender or rose hydrosol.

#34 ·
I can't find the post that teaches us how you put the camellia in a dark jar with a carrier oil, how long do you wait. And was wondering if you could do the same with chamomile.

#37 ·
You're sweet, Angel. I don't mean to overload anyone. As long as it's posted, then it'll be there for later reference when you need it. I see there's a way to "permalink" a post.

I've only seen mention of the stevia mask. Can you direct me to the formula or just tell me what you're using?

Beauty, I think you're referencing my suggestion for calendula flowers. Yes, you can do it with chamomile flowers, too. There is cold or hot infusion. I prefer cold, because I'm always concerned about getting it too hot.

Here's the thread: http://www.skincaretalk.com/diy-skin...tml#post110958

#38 ·
Eden theres a huge number of threads on stevia as a skin tightener see below: i use the powdered green stevia and just did a mask tonight actually but i mixed it with a mud mask i had, to really great effect.

http://www.skincaretalk.com/anti-agi...e-reducer.html

i particularly like the all natural aspect of this mask and would love to build upon it. im just wondering if adding EOs would be enough or would i need to go a bit further. i had thought of mixing it with manuka honey also.

#39 ·
That's why I haven't seen any details about it. I don't need skin lightening, so I never go in that forum.
I'll have a look and get back to you.

#40 ·
Well, duh -- I misread your post, Angel, and saw "lightener" not "tightener". I just finished reading the whole thread and then some. I think you could mix it with all kinds of goodies -- the sky's the limit! Manuka honey and EOs would work fine with it.

#42 ·
Camellia oleifera and Camellia sinensis (or Camellia japonica) are basically the same, but the C. oleifera is slightly more emolient, C. sinensis is the large-flowering variety.

#44 ·
Not eden here, and surely not an expert
but I use camellia sinensis and like it. It's very lightweight and silky. Too bad it doesn't have the delicious fragrance of the camellia flower!

I used some in my last batch of C serum instead of jojoba and it's very nice. Me likey!

#45 ·
It's lighter than jojoba isn't is fawnie??

Just trying to get these oils in my basket so I can get on with things-
took me ALL day to get my Vitacost order completed. Sometimes I am baaaddd at completing these orders that I start early in the day-

#47 ·
see this is why it takes me so long to finish with one site and move onto another. I was on Abbey St Clare for WAY too long after you posted about the C toner or serum of whatever it was-it's YOUR fault Fawnie-

Oh I can't use castor oil on my face, no way!! I do use it on my hands and my lips though.

#48 ·
I hear ya. I had my finger on the BUY button for a long time there picking out 5 samples to try for $7. Then I got to the postage part: $5 for 5 little samples!!! They use the Priority Rate $4.95 box. So wasteful for little samples!!

Really I just wanted to try their Three C Tonic, but it had a lot of stuff I don't even like in it, like witch hazel and citrus oils, so I passed. Saved again.

#49 ·
Do you find castor too astringent? I really like it in the OCM. Tightens up the skin nicely. What kind of castor have you used?

#50 ·
You are SO like me. I can window shop for HOURS!!!!!!! Then when it comes time to purchase.............................uh no, I will pass that you-
Drives DH crazy!! I will have everything in my cart, go get my bank card, then sit down to finish and decide aawwhhh na I don't need this!! LOL He will interupt me and I will say hold on let me finish this purchase and he will say, oh ya I hear that SO many times only to find out you never really purchased a thing-

#57 ·
#58 ·
Do I need this one too??? It is $90 is it worth getting?? I like the looks of it to be honest. Diagrams and such are right up my alley!! Then I can see what it is I am supposed to be doing-

#61 ·
I just got my oils from Mountain Rose
how can I make a nice oil blend for the body, just mix them? One that will make my skin really soft and dewy. Also, where do they sell nice dark glass jars? I don't like the plastic ones.

#62 ·
You could probably have ordered some from MRH when you ordered the oils. Check the supplier list. I know SKS carries then, as do several other stores. If you only have a few oils, you might find them locally.

So, what oils did you get?

#63 ·
Right now I have jojoba, rose hip, hemp, sunflower, avocado, rice bran, wheat and almond, I got brazilian nut and evening primrose on the way, I have extra virgin coconut oil that I love, but I like to use that one on it's own, smells delicious!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.