Skin Care Talk banner

Lactic Acid Chemical Peel BURN - Please help ( PICTURES included)

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ciao 
#1 ·
I did a 40% lactic acid chemical peel on my chest, legs and arms. I've done it before at 40% but I used an Ebay brand instead of my usual because it was cheaper.

Everything was fine until the following day I realised my chest was peeling like mad and extremely itchy. I stupidly itched it. It felt like it was on fire and I went to the mirror and my skin looked like picture 1.

4 days later and dark burn marks have appeared on my chest. I'm so close to tears, it looks HORRIBLE and it's on an obvious part of my body. Is it too late for these dark marks to go? This has happened within a space of 4 days.

Please help me to know what I can do to get rid of these awful dark marks and get my lovely even skin tone back. I've worked so hard on my chest area and it feels completely ruined. Please please help.

Skin Close-up Shoulder Joint Muscle
Skin Face Neck Chin Nose

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
This is exactly why I always say.........DO NOT PURCHASE ACID FROM UNBRANDED PEOPLE/PLACES!! You MUST purchase acids from reputable companies!! Who knows what you applied, I can tell you from experience 40% LA peel wouldn't leave you looking like that. But when you purchase from places like ebay they can mix whatever they choose and sell it to you, if your willing to take that chance.

What I would do is apply neosporin on all those areas, actually any area that is pink, red, or sensitive. Keep applying it until you see your skin get back to its normal self. Keep your soaps/lotions basic, use nothing that contains any type of chemicals. Once your skin is back to normal, start your exfoliating process over. Things will even out but you must keep neosporin on those areas so it heals properly.

#4 ·
I truly didn't know this would happen. I naively assumed if it was being sold on Ebay and had good reviews it would have been fine.

Nothing on my skin is red or sensitive now. It's darkened and it's now just all brown spots and splodges. I've booked an appointment with a Dr to see what they can recommend.

Will do neosprin but I'm so scared it's going to turn into hyperpigmentation. Is there anything I can do to avoid that?

Skin Chin Nose Arm Neck

#5 ·
If you did this just 5 days ago like you mention above, I would still get neosporin on those areas, I also would keep covered and avoid the sun. Other than that, it will just take time to heal and get back to normal. Nothing to worry about, this was freshly done, and it will just take time to heal. Don't panic, keep it covered, neosprorin, and time is all it will take.

#6 ·
I know this topic is old, and OP probably will not respond, but I wanted to post because I had a very similar reaction to LA at 40% from MUAC- I can't tolerate LA, I found out. I don't know how it happened, but I'd been doing LA peels weekly for months with zero problem, when all of a sudden, BAM, I had a very severe reaction to my final LA peel. I ended up switching to GA and have had no problems since.

I knew something was wrong after about minute 2 when my skin began to burn- like someone had rubbed hot chili all over my face! It was not like the tingly/slightly uncomfortable feeling of the usual peel- it was an intense burning sensation. I immediately washed the peel off and neutralized it as fast as I could. But my face was extremely beet-red.

I kept a cold, wet washcloth over my face and splashed my face with more water as I needed it. I hydrated my skin with a very mild toner the next day- I did not do ANYTHING to my skin the night before. I couldn't even put vaseline on it. I just did the bare minimal routine, and slathered- SLATHERED my face with ZnO sunscreen. My skin developed crusty spots kind of like what OP had in their pics, but I left them alone and did not pick at them. Instead, I kept my skin hydrated and moisturized. When some of the pain subsided, I was able to do hydrating face masks and apply an occlusive (vaseline) on top. It really helped speed along the skin's recovery, and within a couple of days, the crusty skin subsided and some of the flakiness went away.

Months later, I picked up a tiny travel size bottle of AmLactin to use on my KP on my upper arms, and had a very similar reaction. I discovered that I muse have developed some kind of an allergy to LA, because even now if a product has enough of it in there, I have a very bad reaction.

But I want to post to say if something like this happens, BE PATIENT, DON'T PICK AT YOUR SKIN PERIOD, and keep it hydrated and protected, and it should heal up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.