Skin Care Talk banner

hello! ~~diy progress thread~~

38K views 121 replies 14 participants last post by  Arewaa 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi .. I've been lightening on and off for years. I had real good results using carowhite with lactic acid, a lightening serum, lemon EO and carrot seed oil lol. I've been on here like 5 years ago but couldn't remember my username anymore :( so made a new acct. I have a lot of experience with this stuff..

I recently had a baby and got so dark, since I wasn't using anything. I decided I wanted to use something strong without direct HQ and to start making my own gel after seeing a recipe on MakingCosmetics. I used to think about creams and lotions, but gels are so much easier to make if all the ingredients mix in water. You just need some distilled water, this gelmaker additive and some preservative.

my trial recipe is:
8% alpha arbutin (powder)
10% niacinamide (powder)
10% skinwhite ascutin ( alphaarbutin, vit c and oatmeal peptide mix ) (liquid)

in future i will probably add lemon eo, mulberry root extract

i don't go outside until it's darker here (i live in the sunny south) to go in the pool. but using a zinc sunscreen too.

At night I'm using palmers skin fade + lactic acid occasionally, it's kind of hard for me to do things twice a day every day regularly lol.

i intend to update this thread though. right now though, i'm still waiting for the ingredients to come in. but i bathe with dr. somebody (i forget the name lol)'s skin lightening soap, it's pink, and alternate with the kojie san dream white .. the orange one is too strong for me

well, here it goes! lol. hey.

See less See more
#52 ·
Pinot, I can honestly tell you I have never purchased anything from any site that had an alcohol/smoking lecture. Reading that entire thing had me laughing out loud. If your old enough to make online purchases your probably old enough to know the health risks of alcohol/smoking. That entire paragraph I found rather unprofessional, and odd.

I always pay attention to small details, you can learn so much, and this site screams SCAM.

#54 ·
I don’t think the “lecture” about alcohol /smoking depletes glutathione means it screams scam . What was stated is all facts. A lot of people unfortunately have not done their research on skin lightening let alone glutathione . What scream scam is the fact she uses glutathione IV but promoting this powder as if it’s what is working for her alone .

#59 ·
Well, I don't think she's a scammer just because she didn't answer a question 'are you a scammer?' basically. And she really points out a lot that she takes IVs often with the powder and I think people aren't really believing she got that light just taking a supplement. She never stated that either.

How did my thread get derailed into calling someone I watched on youtube a scammer? I buy this at my own risk knowing the possibility it might not be a huge gain but it seems to have helped lighten places I don't touch and may help with overall skin health.

#61 ·
Either way, back on track to my 'DIY progress thread'.

I'm still doing mequinol/carowhite, been busy with moving so I am trying to maintain my progress ATM, that's why I haven't really posted any updates. At this very moment I'm trying to figure out making a kojic acid ointment to add. I'm still taking the supplements/iv powder.

#62 · (Edited)
Glass Dairy

It looks like nothing lol, but it's kojic acid dipalmitate (I got from china) 7% dissolved in fractionated coconut oil and sepiwhite (I heard of a member using these two together here and it worked well). It really takes heat well. I think people should mess with this more than regular kojic acid.

Hopefully it's completely dissolved and won't get weird when it cools off.

--

I haven't bother making another alpha arbutin batch. My opinion from the little bit that I used it is it isn't good for very dark skin in my opinion and works really slow even at 7%. I do want to try it again when I'm lighter.

#65 ·
@masa Lol, I do admit I did shake my head abit at the naturalistics website. But the powder has always been the same consistent quality to their credit and not looking different every purchase.

BTW, whey protein boosts glutathtione production. I don't know if I mentioned it already but I take the powder with whey protein powder for a theoretical boost

---
I have to say, my skin even though it's not the color I want, is very soft and clearing up a lot.
---
I will also be honest every once in a blue moon I smoke partial cigarettes, since people are following my progress.

#71 ·
Hey guys!

It's slow going, but I'm seeing results.
I do believe the Kojic acid + sepiwhite is giving a boost ! Early to tell, but I'm seeing significant lightening. My feet used to be super dark and they're one of the lightest parts on my body.

I hope this is the regimen that will work really good for me I can stick with, basically right now one day I use kojic acid and sepiwhite then some days I use the mequinol 25% mix (going to bump it up to 30% next batch). I'll post a pic when I have major results updates. I'm not the most consistent person either but I think in a few months I'll look a lot lighter.

I also got a new bathroom and the lighting is way nicer and makes it easier to see my progress.

#74 ·
Hi Pinot!
As far as I know sepiwhite is amino acids and is in fair and flawless. From my research I haven't heard anything about needing to stop using it. From lotioncrafter.com:

Sepiwhite™ MSH is an excellent skin lightener and brightener suitable for all skin types and ethnicities that promotes a more uniform and radiant complexion with results in as little as seven days. Studies have demonstrated an increase in skin luminosity and decrease in the number and color of hyperpigmented spots, and it can be combined with other active ingredients, such as niacinamide or AHAs. Sepiwhite™ MSH is a lipoaminoacid or vectorized essential amino acid developed from phenylalanine, an amino acid involved in melanin synthesis. MSH is an alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH) receptor agonist developed from this amino acid that inhibits the process of melanin synthesis from the hypothalamus to produce a reduction in melanic pigments in skin cells.

In two studies, 1%Sepiwhite™ MSHwas combined with 5% niacinamide in lotion. Volunteers reported a reduction in hyperpigmentation after 8 weeks of usage.

• In an eight week study using 2% Sepiwhite™ MSH alone, 83% of volunteers reported a more radiant complexion, 73% fewer age spots, 100% lighter age spots, and 100% more even complexion and skin tone.
  • In a seven day study using Sepiwhite™ MSH alone, volunteers reported hyperpigmentation was reduced by 24% and skin luminosity increased by 9%
Sepiwhite™ MSHcan be combined with a number of other ingredients designed to assist with hyperpigmentation. It can be combined with AHAs to promote a more radiant complexion and more even skin tone.

• In studies using 0.2% Sepiwhite™ MSH and 2% ascorbyl glucoside, it doubled the lightening action resulting in a 13% decrease in melanin pigments.
  • In a two month study using Sepiwhite™ MSH alone, skin’s luminosity was increased by +1.13 L*, a measure of skin’s brightness.

Key Benefits

• Promotes a more uniform and more radiant complexion
  • Promotes reduction of number and color of age spots
  • Demonstrated effectiveness for all skin types and ethnicities
  • Promotes a more even skin tone
  • Reported visible increases in skin luminosity and brightness
  • ECOcert
  • Preservative free, paraben free phthalate free
  • Readily biodegradable
  • Non-phototoxic
Applications

• Anti-aging products for face and body, including gels, emulsions, and toners
  • Daily skin rejuvenating products, like sera, targeted treatments, and moisturizers
  • Revitalizing products such as toners, gels, masks, and eye products
  • Skin lightening make-up removers
  • Pressed and loose mineral make-up powders, including foundations and highlighters
Find this used in commercial products like these:

• Miracle Worker Dark Spot Corrector - Philosophy
  • TimeWise Even Complexion Essence - Mary Kay
  • Brightening Night Restore - Janssen Cosmetics
  • Renewed Radiance Dark Spot Eraser - Nuance Salma Hayek
I've given up on alpha arbutin for now I don't think it's for dark skin. I can't say how it compares to HQ, but it's easy to combine with the type of kojic acid I'm using.

#78 · (Edited)
hey guys, so I had a major setback the last month because of moving. it messed up my whole regime! between that and going out in the daylight driving, even with sunscreen I got significantly darker! and I just didn't have the will/energy to keep up everything being so busy.

but i'm starting it back up again, with the carowhite/mequinol/RA mix and a new batch of kojic acid/sepiwhite because I was seeing good and quick results.

I still have a lot of glutaIV powder left but I don't think I'll be repurchasing it. the returns VS. the cost are not worth it if you can lose your results so easily -- by that I mean an active person who goes out and about in the daytime and has periods of more sun exposure probably shouldn't bother. I'll probably still take l-glutathione pills for health but it's not going to be a skin lightening staple.

i don't mean to knock anyone who is doing the glutaIV powder, if you're very consistent and practice better SAP than me it might be a good addition because I do think it worked, just be careful to maintain and protect your results. I think it is probably better suited as a boost to someone like that youtuber who goes to a clinic and gets the glutathione IVs.

tl,dr; gluta iv / glutathione probably better for people who are already pretty light and want to get to the next level, and the powder is better for someone taking the actual glutathione IVs from a clinic

#79 ·
i agree. Not just the powder but with supplements, the results are so gradual and you can lose it in a blink of an eye.

i am one month into it. I noticed slight change very slight. This is a good booster to add if you are doing the iv. I will do it for three more moths and see how the results will be.

i bought their whole set including their skin lightening range. It is indeed herbal because I am actually darker from it it’s not lightening me at all. Qei probably lightens faster then it no joke. I still haven’t one month of the cream left after that I am moving on because it is super duper expensive to not work.

#87 ·
I agree with the above ! ^

just an update. so I've not taken supplements going on a month now, I figured I might put my slacking off to use and see what happened if I stopped. I do believe they contribute way more than I thought. So, I'm going back to the pills & glutaiv powder because it worked. my hands have darkened and they were helping to keep them light. so back I go to what was working before. I'm annoyed at myself for messing up for a month but at least I know what works for sure now and going to stick with it.

#91 · (Edited)
Yeah, the whole thing was I moved to a new place and it just upset my habits and regime, and I was busy. So I had really low morale and quit everything for a few weeks. But during that time I think I could tell what was working. I started back on the mequinol/carowhite/RA and it was going along but kinda slow. I could see my skin clearing up but no major lightening. Then I added the kojic/sepiwhite combo, then the supplements and glutaivpowder ( i also take it with whey protein ). but I can see I'm making progress again much faster, after a few days when I wake up in the morning I can tell I've brightened significantly.

So now I know what works I'm just going to stick to it for a few months and not mess up like I did in June. I hope to have a good update in a few months.

My regime:

- Kojie san soap
- Occaisonal facial treatments with masks/kojie san soap
- the same supplements I mentioned before: glutathione pills, MSM, vitamin C, milk thistle. GlutaIV powder w/ whey protein.
( i truly believe the supplements helped with lightening my hands. when i stopped, my hands got dark fast. now that i'm taking them again they're slowly lightening up again. i don't apply lighteners to my hands because i wash my hands constantly every day. )
- either the mequinol / carowhite / RA mix or kojic acid / sepiwhite mix over body
( i get a *lot* of peeling. even after I quit putting anything on my body, weeks after I still peeled a lot )

it works, i just need to stick with it and eventually try working my way up to twice a day.

this whole journey is to find what works well for me for once and for all, mostly DIY, so I can get to a golden-brown tone (and eventually super light) without spending thousands of dollars on expensive IVs.

#94 ·
I was taking it for a few months, and I just started taking it again. So I think it will start working after a few months.
My tips/tricks - besides taking it with other supplements, I also mix it into a smoothie and add whey protein powder which also boosts gluta.
The youtuber lady who takes it says it gets enhanced taking it before a work out too.

I'd love to be the color of the girl in your avatar, trying to be realistic, in all types of lighting I want to look light skinned. @BrightB93

#95 · (Edited)
Skin Close-up Bread Food

Above is my elbow.

* UPDATE *

Definitely getting back to where I was before, I'm seeing more golden brown. Above is my elbow. Pleased with the peeling there. BTW, I peel a LOT and it's not just dead white skin it's brown so maybe it's true that the mequinol helps you peel where you are shedding melanin too.

And I upped the mequinol because it wasn't seeming strong enough. I am now using 40% mequinol/carowhite with a dash of LA and RA. At this level I definitely feel it more on my skin, first time I used it there was the slightest of burns (just a sensation, no harm was done). I'll stick with this strength a while but I want to go with a higher perecentage possibly.

I wouldn't dare put 40% mequinol on my face though it was way too strong so don't do that if anyone's following. I am just going to use the kojic acid (Even that burns).

Going to make a new kojic acid batch soon and upping the percentage on that too. Not sure to what yet as I don't want to overdo it.

#97 ·
I peel so much, there's dead skin everywhere, everyday lol. I just put maybe a quarter tube if that of RA in the carowhite/mequinol mix. I think people have said on the forums here mequinol itself makes you peel.

I use about 2 teaspoons a day of the gluta powder, I guess it lasts about a month (4oz).

#98 · (Edited)
* UPDATE *
Today I am I seeing major progress for my efforts. I have taken a break from mequinol 40% for the last few days because it was getting intense feeling and switched to 10% KA/~2% sepiwhite. This is me in day light and good lighting in the bathroom. I have that dark undertone in bad lighting, but, this is def' progress for sure.

from
to
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Skin Undergarment Joint Close-up Shoulder
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Skin Close-up Hand Arm Muscle
in 7 months of trial and error lightening :/ ( i didn't use mequinol for 7 months)

(2nd = stomach)

I've been focusing a lot on the stomach area and it's paying off as has been the massive amount of peeling.

I still think it's a little slow for how intense this regimen is and my lower half is still a bit darker. I might get a boost with some steroids but I wanted to show the progress so far before I did all that. So does mequinol work? Yeah it does and I've been experiencing everything the people who've used it on here said happened. And I think kojic acid is better than alpha arbutin for dark skin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.