can AHA induce melasma ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: can AHA induce melasma ?

can AHA induce melasma ?

Ive realised over the years , that everyone skin is different , i know its nothing new, its been said a thousand times ...but i think we overlook it , and just think that we will be able to handle a product just because dozen of people did ...

i came to realise that im a part of that small % of people with sensitive skin- AHA doesnt ligthen my face , even low %, all it does is darken it , i can only use aha on my forehead ( no what i do on my forehead it never burns/darkens)- Aha also give me melasma type of dark patches over my cheekbones ...

-has anyone experience did ?

- and what can one use to lighten the melasma ? or around the eye including the area above the cheekbones .

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flawlessBright View Post
    Ive realised over the years , that everyone skin is different , i know its nothing new, its been said a thousand times ...but i think we overlook it , and just think that we will be able to handle a product just because dozen of people did ...

i came to realise that im a part of that small % of people with sensitive skin- AHA doesnt ligthen my face , even low %, all it does is darken it , i can only use aha on my forehead ( no what i do on my forehead it never burns/darkens)- Aha also give me melasma type of dark patches over my cheekbones ...

- and what can one use to lighten the melasma ? or around the eye including the area above the cheekbones .
    Never experience darkening from aha and I love using aha products/peels.
    I had similar experience darkening from kojic acid and I know it’s frustrating when you’re so good and consistent with the regimen and end up with fall back. I know retin a and hydroquine are best combo for melasma.
    Retin a alone helped lightening the face. At first started with 0.025% and bump up to 0.05%. It was so strong I only use every 3 days or twice a week.

Take my comment back don’t use retin a on eye area.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

When it comes to using aha, u have to be very diligent with sunscreen use all the time because they stay active on the skin for days even after one application. I personally don’t use acids because of this reason . I prefer face and body scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by naymag View Post

Never experience darkening from aha and I love using aha products/peels.
    I had similar experience darkening from kojic acid and I know it’s frustrating when you’re so good and consistent with the regimen and end up with fall back. I know retin a and hydroquine are best combo for melasma.
    Retin a alone helped lightening the face. At first started with 0.025% and bump up to 0.05%. It was so strong I only use every 3 days or twice a week.
    my skin doesnt deal that well with rerin a either , only my forehead and cheek love it - but i cant put it above my cheekbones or eye area or i will get PIH...- the only time i was able to use retin a successfuly is Kligmans formula ( the steroid calms irratation)

Quote Originally Posted by colormebright View Post

When it comes to using aha, u have to be very diligent with sunscreen use all the time because they stay active on the skin for days even after one application. I personally don’t use acids because of this reason . I prefer face and body scrubs.
    yes AhA can be the devil, i love Skin Care talk but i wish i didnt find it when i was 19 years old , i bought everything discussed on here and got so much PIH starting with retin a , then AHA, and yes i used suncreen etc... now im 25 i know my skin, i have better knowlegde of products etc ...

Quote Originally Posted by colormebright View Post

" they stay active on the skin for days" that explains a lot ...i stay away from AHA on my face now , i would only do a mild peel once a month , or use a mild aha face wash once a week

AHA and BHA will cause your skin to be photosensitive so sunscreen and a good one that actually works is crucial. Anyone that I know that battles Melasma and is treated by a Derm is prescribe some sort of AHA, but again, you can't use it if your not using a good sunscreen faithfully. Without being faithful to SS, your wasting time and money!! But in order to remove the dark spots, it is going to take some sort of exfoliating.......if you struggle with melasma then wait and do your peels etc in the winter when the sun isn't as intense. Timing can be so important as well. Hang in there, you will find what works for you!
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post

AHA and BHA will cause your skin to be photosensitive so sunscreen and a good one that actually works is crucial. Anyone that I know that battles Melasma and is treated by a Derm is prescribe some sort of AHA, but again, you can't use it if your not using a good sunscreen faithfully. Without being faithful to SS, your wasting time and money!! But in order to remove the dark spots, it is going to take some sort of exfoliating.......if you struggle with melasma then wait and do your peels etc in the winter when the sun isn't as intense. Timing can be so important as well. Hang in there, you will find what works for you!
    Yes thank you! i agree timing is so important !! im not putting any acids on my face til november when the sun is less intense ! which sunscreen do u use ?

Yes thank you! i agree timing is so important !! im not putting any acids on my face til november when the sun is less intense ! which sunscreen do u use ?
    I use Burnout most of the time. I have several I rotate through, just depends on what I'm doing/where I'm going, and if I care what I look like....but most days I use Burnout. For your face, have you ever tried Mandelic Acid? If not, when November rolls around, give it a shot. Its super gentle, and works really well on pigmentation/melasma. Something you can definitely use weekly. Use it once a week, for 6 wks, and I will bet my last dollar you will see a huge improvement. What people don't realize is in order to see noticeable results (when talking peels) it takes several to get results. Its not a one and done. So really, once November rolls around, try Mandelic. I'll remind you cuz come Sept/Oct I will be getting ready for peel season myself
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements