Skin darkening HQ
Page 1 of 3 1 2 Last

Thread: Skin darkening HQ

  1. #1

    Skin darkening HQ

    Short HQ question: HQ is banned where I live so I have to dissolve it in water and then apply it. I stopped because it had an overall darkening effect on my skin. Is this normal and I should keep going on and just apply more sun screen or is this a sign of unwanted oxidation or whatever ?
    Please help

    I saw there are some threads on the topic but only concerning ready-made cremes so I'm a little oncerned.

    Greetings bumi

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    yemeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    State no one messes with
    Posts
    226
    The solvent for HQ is not water, it’s propylene glycol. Pls go back to threads on HQ to know how to properly dissolve and percentage of safe usage plus length of time. Here are links https://www.skincaretalk.com/showthr...e+Hydroquinone

    https://www.skincaretalk.com/showthr...e+Hydroquinone

    Good luck.
    Last edited by yemeve; 04-19-2019 at 12:44 AM.

  4. #3
    @yemeve thanks for your answer !! I wanted to try PG either way, but i don't think that the water is the reason for the skin darkening. beautiful pic of janet you have there <3

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bumi View Post
    Short HQ question: HQ is banned where I live so I have to dissolve it in water and then apply it. I stopped because it had an overall darkening effect on my skin. Is this normal and I should keep going on and just apply more sun screen or is this a sign of unwanted oxidation or whatever ?
    Please help

    I saw there are some threads on the topic but only concerning ready-made cremes so I'm a little oncerned.

    Greetings bumi
    How is your sun avoidance? And the type of sunscreen you use makes a difference. Some of them can actually darken you. Make sure you're using a zinc based one. Shouldn't be making you darker

    If it's not brown, it's not oxidized

  7. #5
    It was very cloudy where I live lately so I think too much sun was not the reason. Didn't apply much sun screen though.

    It's not brown when I apply it, because I always apply immediately after dissolving it so I think it does not have the time to oxidize then. But after a while I can see brown stains where it dripped to the floor so I guess it oxidized there after a while. which makes sense. the thing is technically doesn't that mean that it oxidizes on the skin as well ? this happens even if i add sodium metabisulfite (NaSO) as an anti-oxidant because i think even NaSO can only slow the process of oxidization down and not stop it at all. So the question is, is it absorbed into the skin fast enough ? Would it be maybe better to use a higher percentage of HQ on the skin but rinse it off after an hour or so than to use a low percentage and leave it on ? What do you think @whitemermaid ?

    I know this is hard to answer, because I think most users here just buy their stuff because it's easier, but it's hard to get one's hands on HQ cremes here.

  8. #6

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bumi View Post
    It was very cloudy where I live lately so I think too much sun was not the reason. Didn't apply much sun screen though.

    It's not brown when I apply it, because I always apply immediately after dissolving it so I think it does not have the time to oxidize then. But after a while I can see brown stains where it dripped to the floor so I guess it oxidized there after a while. which makes sense. the thing is technically doesn't that mean that it oxidizes on the skin as well ? this happens even if i add sodium metabisulfite (NaSO) as an anti-oxidant because i think even NaSO can only slow the process of oxidization down and not stop it at all. So the question is, is it absorbed into the skin fast enough ? Would it be maybe better to use a higher percentage of HQ on the skin but rinse it off after an hour or so than to use a low percentage and leave it on ? What do you think @whitemermaid ?

    I know this is hard to answer, because I think most users here just buy their stuff because it's easier, but it's hard to get one's hands on HQ cremes here.
    I haven't had any luck making HQ lotion. I even bought sodium m. for it, vitamin e. and everytime I mixed it it browned instantly at the slightest bit of heat, I'm thinking maybe my HQ powder is just poor quality. Very upsetting because I have a bunch of HQ powder, maybe I'll try again one day.

    I wouldn't want to put anything that's oxidized on my skin and yes that would mean it's oxidizing on the skin after time. While that probably happens with any HQ product it might be worse in your formulation - my educated guess it since it's just water it's not really carrying it to your skin. I'm not a chemist so I don't know. People seem to have success with PG+HQ on here, I personally wouldn't like putting that on my skin but maybe you should try that. I prefer a lotion but like I mentioned I haven't been able to make an HQ lotion that didn't brown in the process. I use alpha arbutin and it's way easier to work with but not as strong as HQ.

    And like the other person said even if it's cloudy if you're using acids and HQ your skin is way more sensitive to the rays.
    Last edited by whitemermaid; 04-22-2019 at 01:20 PM.

  10. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by whitemermaid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bumi View Post
    It was very cloudy where I live lately so I think too much sun was not the reason. Didn't apply much sun screen though.

    It's not brown when I apply it, because I always apply immediately after dissolving it so I think it does not have the time to oxidize then. But after a while I can see brown stains where it dripped to the floor so I guess it oxidized there after a while. which makes sense. the thing is technically doesn't that mean that it oxidizes on the skin as well ? this happens even if i add sodium metabisulfite (NaSO) as an anti-oxidant because i think even NaSO can only slow the process of oxidization down and not stop it at all. So the question is, is it absorbed into the skin fast enough ? Would it be maybe better to use a higher percentage of HQ on the skin but rinse it off after an hour or so than to use a low percentage and leave it on ? What do you think @whitemermaid ?

    I know this is hard to answer, because I think most users here just buy their stuff because it's easier, but it's hard to get one's hands on HQ cremes here.
    I haven't had any luck making HQ lotion. I even bought sodium m. for it, vitamin e. and everytime I mixed it it browned instantly at the slightest bit of heat, I'm thinking maybe my HQ powder is just poor quality. Very upsetting because I have a bunch of HQ powder, maybe I'll try again one day.

    I wouldn't want to put anything that's oxidized on my skin and yes that would mean it's oxidizing on the skin after time. While that probably happens with any HQ product it might be worse in your formulation - my educated guess it since it's just water it's not really carrying it to your skin. I'm not a chemist so I don't know. People seem to have success with PG+HQ on here, I personally wouldn't like putting that on my skin but maybe you should try that. I prefer a lotion but like I mentioned I haven't been able to make an HQ lotion that didn't brown in the process. I use alpha arbutin and it's way easier to work with but not as strong as HQ.

    And like the other person said even if it's cloudy if you're using acids and HQ your skin is way more sensitive to the rays.
    I never made HQ lotion because it’s too complicated. But I had success with my HQ diy serum. I am well versed with HQ down to the chemical formula and It’s very easy to work imo. Never put HQ and water on your skin it will immediately turn it brown which means it has been oxidized. I would recommend hq and PG over DRG because PG is non greasy and absorbs quick. The trick is to apply it very lightly over your skin that way it won’t oxidize. I used about 1-2 pumps on each body part Also LA lotion helps it penetrate your skin better. I use 5% for face and 10% for body. No need to overthink hun. the results are beautiful a high golden yellow and it’s so worth it. I NEVER had any issues with hq because I know how to use it properly but Trust me a lot of people on here know their stuff. Any questions?? we’re here
    ON THE ROAD OF RE-LIGHTENING AND IT WILL DEFINITELY BE EPIC!!

  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by beautymark. View Post
    I never made HQ lotion because it’s too complicated. But I had success with my HQ diy serum. I am well versed with HQ down to the chemical formula and It’s very easy to work imo. Never put HQ and water on your skin it will immediately turn it brown which means it has been oxidized. I would recommend hq and PG over DRG because PG is non greasy and absorbs quick. The trick is to apply it very lightly over your skin that way it won’t oxidize. I used about 1-2 pumps on each body part Also LA lotion helps it penetrate your skin better. I use 5% for face and 10% for body. No need to overthink hun. the results are beautiful a high golden yellow and it’s so worth it. I NEVER had any issues with hq because I know how to use it properly but Trust me a lot of people on here know their stuff. Any questions?? we’re here
    Do you use sodium metabisulfite with it to keep from oxidizing?

  12. #10
    Thanks for the inspiration @beautymark. Was that an HQ-only serum or did you add anything else ?

    @whitemermaid Concerning the sodium metabisulfite I really doubt that it's the best choice for an antioxidant for DIY purposes eventhough it's widely being used in professional HQ products. Even if you dissolve very little of it in pure water it develops a very acidic smell that makes you cough. I found it practically unusable. On chemistcorner.com there are a few very interesting HQ threads. Sodium metabisulfite seems to degrade into sulphur dioxide if pH is to low. Also one guy there sugested switching to sulphur dioxide which is chemically more stable and allegedly more effective. I think during the summer I will still enjoy the sun and try different antioxidants and solvetns in order to find the easiest recipe that works best for me and restart my journey in autumn. The HQ lotion recipes in the old DIY threads are waaaaay to complicated for my taste. I like the serum idea much better.

    One question still. Hydroquinone seems to cause severe damage to the corneal. There are serveral studies about that. I think we should take this very seriously !!! The problem is that I'm not sure if it's enough to simply don't let it get into your eye. Firstly, if you completely keep it away from the eye you should end up with huge dark circles around there since no HQ is getting there. Secondly, HQ dust can also make it's way into the air. One study stated that even little concentration of HQ particles in the air can cause permanent damage. I cannot recall the exact value but it was only a few mg per m^3. So the question is, will this be problematic ? The study focussed on workes in a HQ factory so one could argue that at home this shouldn't be relevant since there's not so much of it around as in a factory. On the other hand 1mg/m^3 is really not much :/ But then again, many people use professional HQ creams abundantly even in the area around the eyes and we have not heard anything about people going blind from it.

    Any suggestions ? This is somewhat unsettling to me. I even considered using swim goggles during the night when I mix/apply it ^^. What do you think ?
    Last edited by bumi; 04-29-2019 at 07:29 AM.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM
  2. Darkening with 4% HQ and .025% Retin-A????
    By karilanson in forum Skin Lightening
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 08:54 PM
  3. Nadinola/HQ under the eye = darkening?
    By DOLLeyes in forum Skin Lightening
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 06:44 PM
  4. RA/ HQ: Scars actually Darkening
    By BlackSkinGirl09 in forum Skin Lightening
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2009, 02:38 PM
  5. How To Avoiding Darkening Skin and Get Nice Skin On Legs?
    By Unwritten Rebel in forum Basic Skin Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •