A HQ question
Page 1 of 3 1 2 Last

Thread: A HQ question

A HQ question

Earlier this year I used 4 - 5 % HQ. After like 2 weeks or so my skin was peeling off which looked really ugly. Also people would notice and ask me about it so I had to stop. I want to start again after summer, but how to proceed ? Should I use 2% instead or is my body rebelling against HQ in general and I should switch to some other agent ? Has anybody had similar reactions ?

Love, bumi

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

What do you mean peeling off? It sounds like exfoliation if it was painless. You can correct that a little bit by using lotion or anything to moisturize so the dead skin isn't so obvious, and you can always tell people you're exfoliating your skin lol.

@whitemermaid Yap totally painless. Basically I was exfoliating, but I didn't understand why. Is this usual ? It looked kinda nasty. I'll be using moisturizer next time and try a lower percentage. Hope, that will do it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

HQ by itself isn't really an exfoliant, it can happen, but that's not what it's supposed to do all the time. Maybe your skin is sensitive and is exfoliating easily from it. I understand why you'd want to stop, peeling on the face can look pretty brutal to people who have no idea what you're doing. What is the hq in as in what product you're using? It could be another ingredient that is causing/making the peeling more.

What I do as well is gently massage in circles the peeling area in the shower so the excess skin comes off. Oil also seems to make it come off really easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bumi View Post
    Earlier this year I used 4 - 5 % HQ. After like 2 weeks or so my skin was peeling off which looked really ugly. Also people would notice and ask me about it so I had to stop. I want to start again after summer, but how to proceed ? Should I use 2% instead or is my body rebelling against HQ in general and I should switch to some other agent ? Has anybody had similar reactions ?

Love, bumi
    @bumi ....interesting. What HQ product are you using? You could cut down usage to 3x a week & moisturise, skin build on other days. Also incorporate manual exfoliation like sugar scrubs & sea salt baths to loosen the dead skin.

@Maizikeen; Good input. Maybe I wasn't giving my skin enough time to adjust when I used 4% daily. I think I'll change to 2% and maybe alternate with skin building every other day. I wasn't using any product just dissolved HQ.

@whitemermaid Just used HQ DIY lotion with HQ, H20 and PG. Yes my skin seems to be a little sensitive which is annoying, because I also got a rash from Kojic acid. I'm running out of ingredients that my skin tolerates. All I want is easy lightening, why has everything got to be so complicated ?

@whitemermaid Just used HQ DIY lotion with HQ, H20 and PG. Yes my skin seems to be a little sensitive which is annoying, because I also got a rash from Kojic acid. I'm running out of ingredients that my skin tolerates. All I want is easy lightening, why has everything got to be so complicated ?
    @bumi you could try DIY vitamin C serum or DIY niacinamide cream/serum. They are less irritating but results are slower than HQ.

Love, bumi [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.skincaretalk.com/images/smilies/smile.png[/IMG]
    Did you exfoliate your skin first before starting with the hq cream? Its best you exfoliate first for about a month before starting your lightening journey especially if youre gon be using hydroquinone. With that, you will hardly notice any exfoliation when you start using hq product cos your dead skin has already been removed and that will make the hq product work super good. One good product that really worked for me before i started lightening was amlactin lotion. I switched to cerave sa cream with my lightener but stopped after the BSS in my neighborhood stopped selling my lightener. I'm back to amlactin lotion now mixed with a 2% hq cream which i noticed worked better than my previous mix.

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements