Skin Care Talk banner

Zinc Oxide Sunscreen

10K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  glamchick 
#1 ·
Has anybody have practical experience handcrafting their own Zinc Oxide sunscreen ?

#2 ·
Yes.........simple recipe works great!

27.5 grams of Cerave Moisturizing Lotion
6 grams of oil (Apricot, Grapeseed, jojoba, etc whatever works for you)
12 grams zinc oxide
3-4 drops of polysorbate 80

#5 ·
Hey @gymrat
From your recipe for the sunscreen, I'm looking to try this out with a nivea lotion (without carbomer) that I use for my DIY LA lotion
Cinnamon or Ylang-ylang EO
Non nano & uncoated zinc oxide
But i can't get the last bit, the polysorbate 80

Am I okay so far?
Thanks for your help

#6 ·
Hey @gymrat
From your recipe for the sunscreen, I'm looking to try this out with a nivea lotion (without carbomer) that I use for my DIY LA lotion
Cinnamon or Ylang-ylang EO
Non nano & uncoated zinc oxide
But i can't get the last bit, the polysorbate 80

Am I okay so far?
Thanks for your help
The oil needs to be a "carrier" oil not an essential oil. This is where the Poly 80 comes into play....you will need an emulsifier so the oil and cream bind together.

#10 ·
@gymrat I'm currently on a bottle of Neutrogena sheer zinc which has 21% ZnO which gives me a bit of a white cast which i get around by dusting my mineral powder on my face. I still haven't been able to get poly for this but I'm working on it. How much percentage will this recipe give? Will shea nut oil work as a carrier oil?
Thanks gymmie 🤗❤

#11 ·
@gymrat I'm currently on a bottle of Neutrogena sheer zinc which has 21% ZnO which gives me a bit of a white cast which i get around by dusting my mineral powder on my face. I still haven't been able to get poly for this but I'm working on it. How much percentage will this recipe give? Will shea nut oil work as a carrier oil?
Thanks gymmie 🤗❤
Yes use whatever oil you can get that is light, nothing that is heavy. I've tried Neutrogena Sheer Zinc and I wasn't a fan, it left me with a white cast as well. You would need the poly to make things blend together......tell me again where you are, maybe I can point you in another direction to find another SS other then the Neutrogena.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.