Skin Care Talk banner

Starting a lactic acid routine for hormonal cystic acne. Any product suggestions?

14K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  pink701 
#1 ·
Oh, I am sick of this damn acne.

I recently reapplied for hormonal birth control (the Nuvaring) and am currently on my second one. I've used it in the past with very few side-effects (with much clearer skin) and only avoided reapplying because I didn't want to go through the mood swings. Well, here we are, with my acne starting to get under control...and a whole mess of leftover scars, bumps and redness. Especially on my cheeks and chin. I'm tired of meeting up with my clinic's nurses and being given shit that doesn't actually do anything (ma'am, the benzoyl peroxide gel is useless), so...

...I've decided to try home lactic acid peels to start sloughing off all this damaged skin. I've got my eyes set on The Ordinary line-up (the 10%), then something a little stronger when I build up a tolerance (like 20% or 30% AHA peels). I've also been doing extensive reading on prepping and neutralizing. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for lactic acid products to fade these bumps and scars, as well as a good moisturizer? I need to moisturize with something lightweight and simple, because my skin is oily enough as it is.

In the meantime I've been clearing out my pores with once-weekly steam sessions, keeping my pillowcases clean and drinking a ton of water. Here's to a blemish-free 2020!

See less See more
#4 ·
I can relate with your issue @BigHugeHair . What really worked for me was The Ordinary AHA peeling solution, their Lactic Acid 10% ( i get that cos i run out of Lactic acid fast, this comes in handy but lesser strength than my DIY) then i use The Ordinary 2% Salycilic acid directly on the acne area. If you suffer from clogged pore then def get the Niacinamide serum. these are def an acne go to solution.

Remember to change za pillow case often Okay! , oily skin loves to trap dirt which is quite annoying .

Try to clean your face with products that are not harsh, look into Cerave salycillic face wash. Great choice for acne

Get a toner with niacinamide and lactic acid or better still you can add them to your toner if you have an alcohol free toner such as the Neutrogena alcohol free toner . This clears up my spot fast.

Remember to Wash your makeup off properly, unlike other skin types, acne/oily skin need to take extra step when removing makeup. For example, using the Miscellar water alone wouldn't do, use a good face wash for extra dis-congestion .

Try the OCM .....Oil Cleansing Method, it detoxifies the skin from the inside. castor oil is great for this.

For moisturizing, iv'e found only PONDS works for me. I tell you iv'e tried so many and i break out but finally God held my prayers and sent Ponds my way. I use the one in the grey tube, its has niacinamide. I take things up a notch by adding a tea spoon of LA to it and taatatatta..... clear baby face that is plump and glowy. Then i stupidly get so excited and forget to change my pillow lol. But this year i'm hoping to get satin pillow sheets.

And lastly iv'e realized that oily skin break out less when using a powder contour makeup than cream or liquid. Reduces the stuff your skin has to soak in

#5 ·
I can relate with your issue @BigHugeHair . What really worked for me was The Ordinary AHA peeling solution, their Lactic Acid 10% ( i get that cos i run out of Lactic acid fast, this comes in handy but lesser strength than my DIY) then i use The Ordinary 2% Salycilic acid directly on the acne area. If you suffer from clogged pore then def get the Niacinamide serum. these are def an acne go to solution.

Remember to change za pillow case often Okay! , oily skin loves to trap dirt which is quite annoying .

Try to clean your face with products that are not harsh, look into Cerave salycillic face wash. Great choice for acne

Get a toner with niacinamide and lactic acid or better still you can add them to your toner if you have an alcohol free toner such as the Neutrogena alcohol free toner . This clears up my spot fast.

Remember to Wash your makeup off properly, unlike other skin types, acne/oily skin need to take extra step when removing makeup. For example, using the Miscellar water alone wouldn't do, use a good face wash for extra dis-congestion .

Try the OCM .....Oil Cleansing Method, it detoxifies the skin from the inside. castor oil is great for this.

For moisturizing, iv'e found only PONDS works for me. I tell you iv'e tried so many and i break out but finally God held my prayers and sent Ponds my way. I use the one in the grey tube, its has niacinamide. I take things up a notch by adding a tea spoon of LA to it and taatatatta..... clear baby face that is plump and glowy. Then i stupidly get so excited and forget to change my pillow lol. But this year i'm hoping to get satin pillow sheets.

And lastly iv'e realized that oily skin break out less when using a powder contour makeup than cream or liquid. Reduces the stuff your skin has to soak in
@nwababy do you know how happy I am to read your post?? And how sad I am it took you this long to show up :yess::wavey::knuddel:where have you been all this time?!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.......now take a seat for a while, missed you big time !!

#7 · (Edited)

Yes! I ordered the 10% Lactic Acid from The Ordinary not long after I posted, as well as the 30% AHA and the 2% Hyaluronic Acid (for moisturizing). I've been thinking of getting another package and ordering their rosehip seed oil (I've read it does wonders for reducing scars/inflammation) and their vitamin C serum. I've been indifferent to toners, but I watched a video on it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8nKTHwufZc) and I might just add it to the regimen. I'll check out toners with niacinamide. Maybe tea tree oil.

Big agree on that pillow tip. I've been flipping my pillowcase after the first night, then swapping it for a new one the third night. I've noticed a significant drop in cheek acne, specifically (aside from the birth control, of course, which is doing the majority of the work).

As for foundation, I've been using Bare Minerals' liquid matte and it's been beautiful for my skin. Even back when I was breaking out on a daily basis, this brand actually made my acne a little more bearable by crusting off the top layer. I may check out powder, though, if it's easier to remove at the end of the day.

I really appreciate all your feedback! It feels so good to be hopeful about my skin for once. :D

#9 ·
Changing your pillowcase will help you a TON!! The other thing I will chime in on.......as I suffered for YEARS with acne, I ended up taking Accutane, but I have LEARNED so much just from years and years of trying everything under the sun. Don't waste your $ on toner, get yourself alcohol free witch hazel, use it every night after you cleanse. It will help your pores stay clear and also help to make sure your cleanser is actually removing any trace of makeup etc.

If you use a SS, use one with zinc, zinc is not only a great sun protector but it also is soothing for acne......and do not forget, if you have scars and your exposed to sun, those scars will only darken and be harder to remove down the road.

When looking for makeup, whether liquid or even powders......stay clear of mica and bismuth, both HORRIBLE for acne prone. Read the ingredient listing always!

I could talk about acne for hours......but I won't, I will leave you with that to digest for now! Hang in there, don't give up, you will eventually find what works for you, you just have to keep trying!

#19 ·
[/QUOTE] Your sunscreen is fine Pinky. As for Kukui Nut oil, here is a good one I use often
https://www.amazon.com/Leven-Rose-N...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Here is a good jojoba oil, they also have grapeseed oil same brand. https://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Or...kukui+nut+oil&qid=1588047648&s=beauty&sr=1-28

If its warm in GA already, you can always take out what you need and freeze the rest, then once you need more, let it sit out until liquid, take out what you need and back in the freezer. Helps keep it longer.

Keep me posted, and remember keep it simple, less is best, you got this
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that’s the same kukui nut oil I added to my cart. Leven-Rose. And thanks for the links.

Stay safe sweetie. I’ll keep you posted. My face is clearing up, but I’m not trusting it rn, cos it’s been playing this hide-and-seek with me a lot. It’s crazy to go from baby-butt smooth face all my life, to this mess I have now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.