Regretting lightening skin
Page 1 of 9 1 2 Last

Thread: Regretting lightening skin

  1. #1

    Regretting lightening skin

    This is more of the emotional side of skin lightening. Has anyone regretted ever starting skin lightening? I personally regret it so much. My skin was a nice tan nc30-35 but now my skin is all different colors and tones. The 1st and only long term thing I've used was g&g oil. Now I'm trying so many different things to get my skin back to what it used to be: natural. But stopping all these products doesn't seem to help.

    My skin isnt noticeably damaged or anything and I'm not complaining about not having the skin tone of dreams either. I'm just sick of being attached to products that I'll probably be attached to forever if I want to keep the appearance of healthy looking skin. I absolutely regret having lightened my skin in the 1st place.

    Does anyone feel the same?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    I do. I hate thinking about my skin so much. It feels obsessive. My main goal was to get even, blemish free, bright skin. Which meant making my face match my lighter body, getting rid of break out and eczema discoloration and finding products that make me glow. I ended up with some products that made me break out more, products that made me pale, ashy and dull instead of bright and glowy. Thinking about my complexion all the time. I just want a simple, natural regime that works and to move on from all this, instead of going and circles.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by shallalah View Post
    This is more of the emotional side of skin lightening. Has anyone regretted ever starting skin lightening? I personally regret it so much. My skin was a nice tan nc30-35 but now my skin is all different colors and tones. The 1st and only long term thing I've used was g&g oil. Now I'm trying so many different things to get my skin back to what it used to be: natural. But stopping all these products doesn't seem to help.

    My skin isnt noticeably damaged or anything and I'm not complaining about not having the skin tone of dreams either. I'm just sick of being attached to products that I'll probably be attached to forever if I want to keep the appearance of healthy looking skin. I absolutely regret having lightened my skin in the 1st place.

    Does anyone feel the same?
    I wish I could say the same, I’ve been trying for years to lighten my face which is about 3 shades darker than my body. I’ve been using g&g oil the last couple of days, and I seriously hope that I will see some changes. My skin is just stubborn, I’ve exfoliated, used Retin a which has peeled it a little, and have used almost any skin lighteners you could think of. Nothing has changed and it’s frustrating. I don’t mind being committed to a product, as long as it works. I’m sorry you’re having regrets though, I know for some lightening is almost an addiction, and it makes sense that you’re having regrets.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    It's that addiction. That obsession. You cant run around the beach and have fun like normal people because you're terrified of the sun. You scar easy, take longer to heal. And your cabinet fills with creams and lotions and ointments and things that need to be used in order to combat the side effects of lightening.

    We talk about "normal" people and we talk about "us bleachers". When I was lighter I was happier, I guess, but it was superficial. Like. I feel like I'm fake when I have to hide something like this from everyone. Lighter skin basically gives me a different identity almost and I feel guilty for some reason.

  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by caramelgirl View Post
    I do. I hate thinking about my skin so much. It feels obsessive. My main goal was to get even, blemish free, bright skin. Which meant making my face match my lighter body, getting rid of break out and eczema discoloration and finding products that make me glow. I ended up with some products that made me break out more, products that made me pale, ashy and dull instead of bright and glowy. Thinking about my complexion all the time. I just want a simple, natural regime that works and to move on from all this, instead of going and circles.
    Right? Intitially all I wanted the same. Even skin from head to toe but it got out of hand before I realized it.And it gets so time consuming and expensive. I wake up thinking about my skin and go to sleep thinking about my skin.

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeniefrumdablock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shallalah View Post
    This is more of the emotional side of skin lightening. Has anyone regretted ever starting skin lightening? I personally regret it so much. My skin was a nice tan nc30-35 but now my skin is all different colors and tones. The 1st and only long term thing I've used was g&g oil. Now I'm trying so many different things to get my skin back to what it used to be: natural. But stopping all these products doesn't seem to help.

    My skin isnt noticeably damaged or anything and I'm not complaining about not having the skin tone of dreams either. I'm just sick of being attached to products that I'll probably be attached to forever if I want to keep the appearance of healthy looking skin. I absolutely regret having lightened my skin in the 1st place.

    Does anyone feel the same?
    I wish I could say the same, I’ve been trying for years to lighten my face which is about 3 shades darker than my body. I’ve been using g&g oil the last couple of days, and I seriously hope that I will see some changes. My skin is just stubborn, I’ve exfoliated, used Retin a which has peeled it a little, and have used almost any skin lighteners you could think of. Nothing has changed and it’s frustrating. I don’t mind being committed to a product, as long as it works. I’m sorry you’re having regrets though, I know for some lightening is almost an addiction, and it makes sense that you’re having regrets.
    I've actually only used 3 products continuously: g&g oil, ikb cream and gel. I used gg oil for my face and body. The ikb layered underneath on face and knuckles only. I thought the company stopped making gg oil. It actually lightened me very well but it changed my tone to a red pink color. I lost all warmth. And when I stopped I turned a weird dark color. Like that color you get when you hold your breath for way too long. I hate it. I wish I hadnt touched any of those products.

  9. #7
    Absolutely not, I hated being dark skinned(well dark brown). In school I was always teased for having a darker complexion, and everyone on my mom's side is extremely light skinned or light brown. I actually love myself a lot more now to be honest, but it's the better you start to look the more you want to continue. I just don't want to inadvertently get too light which is what I'm afraid of.

  10. #8
    SCT Elite lightenme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    How do I post on here please help
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by shallalah View Post
    This is more of the emotional side of skin lightening. Has anyone regretted ever starting skin lightening? I personally regret it so much. My skin was a nice tan nc30-35 but now my skin is all different colors and tones. The 1st and only long term thing I've used was g&g oil. Now I'm trying so many different things to get my skin back to what it used to be: natural. But stopping all these products doesn't seem to help.

    My skin isnt noticeably damaged or anything and I'm not complaining about not having the skin tone of dreams either. I'm just sick of being attached to products that I'll probably be attached to forever if I want to keep the appearance of healthy looking skin. I absolutely regret having lightened my skin in the 1st place.

    Does anyone feel the same?
    yes and no, sometimes I wish I could’ve just accepted my dark skin so I would have to feel like I have this secret and I can’t enjoy the sun. But at the same time my light skin has gotten me soooo much farther in life I wouldn’t have been as successful being a SB with dark skin. I started at NC50 and at one point was NC20 it was like a different world in terms of how you get treated. I think for you having started light already at NC30-35 you won’t understand what it’s like being a dark skin black girl. You get treated like shit, I could go on and on

  11. #9
    My only regret was using steroids. When you use steroids and get that high yellow complexion, people start to admire you....and then it backfires. You start buying different products and going crazy to get that yellow complexion back but nothing can lighten you like that. So you end up being a product junkie and checking your skin every time if you’re getting darker.

    I definitely feel better and my confidence has increased now that I’m lighter. I love it. I just know my limit. If a product is working, I keep using it regardless of how slowly it works. I don’t go looking for other things to add to it, because that’s how the madness starts.

    I’m sticking with F&W and Razac body lotion for now. It is slow and I’m not as lightskinned as I want but it is making me even and I don’t have to look at my skin every minute with obsession. I just rub and move on with my day.
    Holy Mary mother of Hydroquinone, help us.

  12. #10
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    33,420
    Quote Originally Posted by shallalah View Post
    It's that addiction. That obsession. You cant run around the beach and have fun like normal people because you're terrified of the sun. You scar easy, take longer to heal. And your cabinet fills with creams and lotions and ointments and things that need to be used in order to combat the side effects of lightening.

    We talk about "normal" people and we talk about "us bleachers". When I was lighter I was happier, I guess, but it was superficial. Like. I feel like I'm fake when I have to hide something like this from everyone. Lighter skin basically gives me a different identity almost and I feel guilty for some reason.
    You shouldn't let it consume you @shallalah , you will drive yourself crazy! I live where the sun shines daily, its hard to avoid, and I refuse to stop living because of the sun. You just have to be smart when out and about. They make so many things now arm sleeves, extremely thin long sleeves with cooling sensation for the sun. I don't ever feel the need to explain to anyone when I am covered up, you will have amazing skin avoiding the sun, look at it as a blessing not a curse.

    As for lightening keep it simple, don't over use products. Use what you have in your cabinet before purchasing more. Keep it simple, its less hassle. If you gain a shade or 2 during the summer from the sun, then you work your butt off during the cooler months to catch up again. You can do it, mind over matter, don't get discouraged.

    My skin looks 10 times better then majority of my friends, just from always applying sunscreen.....I will say its a combo, sunscreen and Vit C serum. But most don't take the time to apply sunscreen and it should be your number one staple. Simplify and you will not see it as a hassle.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-02-2015, 03:04 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 03:43 AM
  3. Doing Retin A for the 2nd time and regretting it!!!
    By pleasehelpme in forum Skin Lightening
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 07:16 PM
  4. Replies: 143
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 05:43 PM
  5. Regretting Electroysis
    By pandapants in forum Basic Skin Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 07:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •