Skin Care Talk banner

Dissolving kojic acid in witch hazel

8K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I finally bought my kojic acid powder and I dissolved it in witch hazel and then mixed it into cetaphil. I also exfoliate with kojie San soap. I’ve been putting my diy lotion on nightly for about two weeks, not too many results and I’m wondering if it’s because I should have dissolved the KA in something different. Any thoughts?

#8 ·
@gymrat any suggestions?
Hello, @DelRehBaby, any suggestions on what?? How to dissolve KA? warm water......as for how much to use, follow the usage rate guideline from the manufacture you purchased from.....it will tell you the % to use. I use KA from Makingcosmetics.

Hope that helps, if I didn't cover something let me know and I will gladly help you out!

#11 ·
@gymrat well I had to make a new mix because the one I made ran out. I read somewhere that the kojic acid powder isn't sustainable and that I needed to make a mix that would last me 2 weeks. I noticed something I probably did incorrectly before: When I boiled the kojic with the witchhazel, I didn't boil the witchhazel first and then add the kojic to the mix. I also had my proportions all wrong and did not check the temperature of the witchhazel to begin with. I noticed I still had kojic crystals in the witchhazel after I boiled the mix.
This time I was very strategic. I boiled the witchhazel by double boil method and made sure it was at 74-102 degrees F and then added 1/4 tbsp of the kojic acid. I noticed that it dissolved better and the witchhazel actually changed color so I will update the thread after the next two weeks with an update because I think i did everything right this time around.

#12 ·
@gymrat well I had to make a new mix because the one I made ran out. I read somewhere that the kojic acid powder isn't sustainable and that I needed to make a mix that would last me 2 weeks. I noticed something I probably did incorrectly before: When I boiled the kojic with the witchhazel, I didn't boil the witchhazel first and then add the kojic to the mix. I also had my proportions all wrong and did not check the temperature of the witchhazel to begin with. I noticed I still had kojic crystals in the witchhazel after I boiled the mix.
This time I was very strategic. I boiled the witchhazel by double boil method and made sure it was at 74-102 degrees F and then added 1/4 tbsp of the kojic acid. I noticed that it dissolved better and the witchhazel actually changed color so I will update the thread after the next two weeks with an update because I think i did everything right this time around.
Boiling will ruin it completely........KA is very sensitive, who did you purchase KA from? Read all information that arrived with your powder....... @DeLraybaby, to dissolve KA........... Add to warm (25-40°C/77-104°F) water phase of formula. It can oxidize and lose some of its activity if put into hot water (>40°C/104°F).

#13 ·
@gymrat thank you for all of your help!! I have another question for you: I noticed the ingredients on the G&G oil contained bearberry. How would I go about adding that to my lotion? I found a bearberry powder on amazon but I haven’t seen any tutorials on how to dissolve it. Also, do you know what the base of the G&G oil is? I’d love to recreate it for myself due to how hydrating it was! I think that’s what made that product so effective for me.

Also, if anyone else has any information to add about the base of the G&G oil please add to the thread! ❤

As for an update on my new batch of lotion: I’ve been using it for a few days applying it at night. Nothing drastic yet of course but I am noticing very slight changes in my skin tone. My skin is beginning to look healthier.

#14 ·
@gymrat thank you for all of your help!! I have another question for you: I noticed the ingredients on the G&G oil contained bearberry. How would I go about adding that to my lotion? I found a bearberry powder on amazon but I haven’t seen any tutorials on how to dissolve it. Also, do you know what the base of the G&G oil is? I’d love to recreate it for myself due to how hydrating it was! I think that’s what made that product so effective for me.

Also, if anyone else has any information to add about the base of the G&G oil please add to the thread! ❤

As for an update on my new batch of lotion: I’ve been using it for a few days applying it at night. Nothing drastic yet of course but I am noticing very slight changes in my skin tone. My skin is beginning to look healthier.
The bearberry I have is an extract, its liquid, not powder, is water soluble, so its easy to work with. Used 4-8% safely. Give me the manufacture of the powder you have and I will look for more info for your particular form.

As for G&G oil ingredients, here is the listing....the texture you like is from the propylene glycol, its a humectant, gives you that hydrating feeling. So this is a great example of reading a label and you assuming its an "oil" base (by its label/name) when it truly isn't :eek:Propylene Glycol, Aqua (Water), Butylmethoxydibenzoylmethane (2%), Octyl Methoxycinnamate (0.5%), Sodium Metabisulfite, Kojic Acid, Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi Leaf Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, 2-Methyl-2H-isothiazol-3-one, Ci 19140 (Fd&C Yellow 5), Ci 15985 (Fd&C Yellow 6)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.