Skin Care Talk banner

How to use acids on skin

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am considering using acids such as lactic acid, salicylic acid and glycolic acid and maybe others in due course on my skin. I am not sure though how I would apply them on my skin. I am considering, for example, putting any such acids, in creams, lotions or cleansers.

I am not sure if I need to first neutralise agents first then mix them into the appropriate item

For example, I have read I can mix salicylic acid in glycerine to dissolve it and then mix it in the item. I would not need to neutralise the acid first. For a cream, this acid should be no more than 2%.

Any appropriate links would be greatly appreciated including how I go about getting the concentrations right. For example 2% salicylic acid in 75ml of cream, 10% lactic acid (at 80% solution) in a tub of cream 100ml or say 250ml solution of body wash.

Any advice (and link) would be greatly appreciated. Prefer to do things properly with sound advice.

I thank those who contribute.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can easily mix them if you wish, no need to neutralize these acids. My only advice is if you are new to acids, use one at a time before mixing too many all at once. Starting with one will allow your skin to accept it or not......if you mix too many things at once and have a reaction, it makes it complicated trying to figure out which ingredient is the problem. So start with one and gradually add in the others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.