Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SKIN DEPIGMENTATION - Patent 3856934

Guys! Please read the above article. I stumbled onto it haphazardly whilst researching the different corticosteriods sometimes added to HQ/RA blends. I windered whether the CS added made a measurable difference or was a matter of the compounder's preference. This article explained something to me I wondered about during the 2 months I tried out Mono20%. Even with the HQ, I'd noticed that the areas that were under close fitting clothing elastics were lightening faster. Hmmmmm....was this because those areas never ever saw the sun-even with a 60spf sunblock? Or was something else happening. This artice refers directly to using an OCCLYSIVE DRESSING to speed lightening & improve absorption. EUREKA!

Since HQ reacts badly to air exposure & fast can go brown & inert, I wonered what happened to my precious HQ when I applied it to my skin THUS EXPOSING IT TO ALL THE AIR IN THE WORLD
. How much of it was being absorbed & how much was just sitting there getting eaten by the air

Apparently, this is a legitimate concern.

Since I'm experimenting with SW for the next month & SW hasn't been shown to oxidise like HQ, I won't change my application method. If SW doesn't deliver & I return to the HQ, I'll apply it using the occlusive wrap method. This is sometimes used in Spas for certain beautifying treatments. Wrapping (NOT my entire body at once so I die of asphyxiation!) will take longer, obviously but if it means I'm not spending money to depigment the atmosphere in my bathroom, I'll alter my schedule to include time for this. In the meanwhile, I hope this info is of use to someone else out there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I forgot something to say. I wonder if HQ can cause white spots, I mean the first time I used the HQ I had a little dark spot which I deliberately broke the rule of alternating & I put a little retin A on. the next morning I had a white spot it is been more than a month & it is still there!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I dont alternate between Retin-A and hydroquinone, I use them together, you should have used it together and not spotted with the retin-A as those two ingredients used together are very potent and gives faster results but u end up having a bleached out look.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
108 Posts
so the retin a fast forwarded the process like 100 times. I mean I have been using the alternating method for month now and I haven't faded to the same color as this stupid spot lol

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
well sort of LOL, it fast forward in the sense that it changes the physiology of the skin, when you have retin-A on your skin, your pores instantly open up, you can even see them open real close to the magnifying mirror, and when the pores are open the HQ goes in very smoothly and BAM you get the lightening effect.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd tried mixing the 2 together but I found I was lightening too rapidly & looking faded. I'd rather alternate & go gradually lighter rather than getting a too bleached look. Esp in summer when lightening really stands out. If the SW is a disappointment (too soon to say) I may return to the HQ/RA mix & occlusive wrap method to lighten up. In fall, everyone looks lighter as summer tans begin to fade out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Summer will be soon over. i would wrap myself like a mummy just to speed it up more. I forgot to ask, can I now blend the two together, or I just keep alternating, when can I blend? I hope my body won't go too faster than my face since i'm not going to use any retin a on it.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mix is great for stubborn areas that are resisting the HQ alone. Areas like knuckles, elbows, ankles & knees on some people tend to be darker. Mixing the 2 makes a very strong blend & some people get irritated due to applying RA 2x/day. It is something to ease into & watch your skin for any signs of intolerance. It rendered me excessively dry so I used to apply oil to make my skin feel flexible again. This blend is very very drying.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I used to sleep in a rain suit when I first started bleaching with expensive stuff. I didn't want it sweating off of my skin and into the sheets!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Can you explain the wrapping method? Do you wrap yourself with saran wrap overnight? And how quickly do you think you'll see results from the wrapping method?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I looked at the article and while technical and challenging to understand. I think it is a great premise. The only thing is that occulsive bandages are extremely expensive!
There must be a creative alternative.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is! It is called going to the dollar store & buying up rolls of cheap plastic wrap! When I try this methos, I plan to do my 4 limbs first, leave them wrapped for 20 mins then do my torso & cut a few holes for a simple face mask. If this proves to not be long enough, then I'll increase to 30 mins. Time consuming, yes. But, cheap & easy. If it delivers results, it'll be preferable to taking up to 2 years to lighten.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Great article Ondine, I'm wondering about the steroid cream? It seems according to the article, best mix is HQ, retin-a and steroid cream. What's ur thot?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great article Ondine, I'm wondering about the steroid cream? It seems according to the article, best mix is HQ, retin-a and steroid cream. What's ur thot?
I know you haven't asked me, but I know this the Kligman's formula which is mainly used for Melasma it is highly effective and could give depigmentation in matter of weeks I don't know about it's safety for use on full body though. I can't ask the pharmacists about it coz I know already what they are going to say.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't get the whole article but I've heard in brief about cortisone creams lightening and I tended to disregard it. Now that I think back, however, my daughter has used Rx cortisone creams before to treat eczema, and those areas of skin are always much lighter than the others, and don't tend to tan the same even now years later. Then I realized I used an Rx cortisone cream to treat a recent bout of heat rash, and the areas I applied it stayed or became light even though they were surrounded by freckled, sun pigmented skin!! I figured the crease of my inner arms was the reason, but I applied the cream in a wider area than was needed...and it shows! This is fascinating to me now...

Cortisone, I've been told, can thin skin however...so I guess there's a plus and a minus to everything...geez.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It doesn't really matter 'who was asked' yellowleave. If you've got a good answer (& you do!) post it. I've learned so much from random people suddenly popping in with helpful replies or well thought out questions I hadn't considered.

The steroid is there in a very low concentration to help mitigate the potential irritating effects (dermatitis etc) some people get from RA. Esp when being used at 0.1% 2x/day. This is a strong formulation & I see the logic of adding the corticosteroid. YES the steroid can thin the skin BUT the RA counters this so skin remains the same: it only becomes lighter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
steroids do lighten effectively but they can give you a nasty side effects too bad thinning skin is not there only bad side effect . in this formula dexamethasone is used which the mildest of all steroids. I will ask and see, normally pharmacists would answer this is for skin disorders girl, not for lightening. LoL

·
Registered
356 Posts
There is! It is called going to the dollar store & buying up rolls of cheap plastic wrap! When I try this methos, I plan to do my 4 limbs first, leave them wrapped for 20 mins then do my torso & cut a few holes for a simple face mask. If this proves to not be long enough, then I'll increase to 30 mins. Time consuming, yes. But, cheap & easy. If it delivers results, it'll be preferable to taking up to 2 years to lighten.

Ok point taken. So you only have to leave in on for a few minutes and not a full day or something. Cool.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts