Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, let me start off by saying that for the most part, I'm happy with my skin. I've never had any real intention of starting an anti-aging skin care regimen, preferring instead to just keep it simple.

I've been using La Roche-Posay's Anthelios SX (SPF 15) as a daily moisturizer/sunscreen. I figured that I was ahead of the game, as I was starting out early with a daily quality sunscreen with broad spectrum UVA protection and all that. But now, however, I've read that the ingredients in the sunscreens themselves can break down and produce free radicals, in turn wreaking on the skin all on their own.

When the Anthelios SX runs out, I plan to shop around for different sunscreens that include antioxidants to offset this issue, but I'd hate to give up the SX as I've grown very accustomed to it. So basically my question is: are there any decent over-the-counter antioxidants I can use to supplement the SX, or am I going to have to delve into the skin care stuff a bit more, make Vitamin C serums and whatnot, and change sunscreens? If that's what I have to do, I will, but as I said before I'd much prefer to keep it simple.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, that's based on some studies, but it's not conclusive yet. What you should do is put on an anti-oxidant serum on under your sunscreen to count-balance any possible free radical damage. There are zillions of serums/lotions you can use. Vitamin C is one with solid research behind it. There are many serums out there, but there are also some great money saving DYI vitamin C serum recipes on this board. I'm personally too lazy to make one, so I am presently using Professional Solutions Vitamin C serum that I get from Dermatologistrx dot com for around 40 bucks. I can also recommend Skinceuticals and Obagi which are more expensive. Just make sure whatever serum you use, you stop using it when it turns yellow/orange because that means it's oxidized, so it's not good anymore. You could also use Vitamin E as your daily anti-oxidant if your skin can take that much oil daily. Of course there are other serums with anti-oxidant properties that may work just as well (or, who knows, even better) than the old stand bys. I just stick with what the professionals seem to like most, vitamin A at night (some times with E) and a C serum for day...

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I dislike all-chemical sunscreens just for that reason, they are not very stable and some of them have proven to be toxic to humans. Right now there is some evidence that Oxybenzone is a possible photo-carcinogen (turns carcinogen when exposed to light). Plus, most sunscreens offer little to no UVA protection, even when there is "broadspectrum" written on it.
Not really the kind of stuff I would like to put on my skin. And since I'm sensitive to couple of chemical filters anyway, I look for something at least part mineral (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide).
This far Avene and Shiseido sunscreens have worked best for me. They have both physical and chemical filters (if I remember correctly Shiseido even uses encapsulated filters, they are supposed to be gentler to the skin and don't get absorbed, so they stay on the skin surface and provide better protection), so they protect from UVA and UVB rays and are more photostable than pure chemical filters.
Today I started testing Skinceuticals Daily Defense SPF 20, it's a bit dry, but otherwise nice. But I'm a bit mad at Skinceuticals, because on their homepage they state that this sunscreens uses zinc oxide, but on the tube it lists 5% Zinc Oxide and 5% Octocrylene.
There is only one possible disadvantage, physical filters are the greatest thing ever for me since I'm pale, but for someone with darker skin they probably look weird and leave a white or blue cast on the skin. That, and then there is the issue of nanoparticles in physical sunscreens. Nobody knows for sure what they do to humans and how they behave when exposed to sunlight, and there is no way of knowing what products contain them.
For Vitamin C I would use a serum or cream under the sunscreens, since most Vitamin C forms are unstable, DIY Vitamin C serums is probably one of the best options. Right now I'm using Skinceuticals Serum 15 AOX, that has 15% L-ascorbic acid, but I'm not sure whether it works or not. Maybe Skinceuticals CE Ferulic or Phloretin CF are better options for antioxidant protection.
Most sunscreens contain Vitamin E in some form, so in that sense they all are a bit antioxidant-ish.
I don't know much about specific antioxidant sunscreens, except Vichy Reti-C that uses both retinol and vitamin C. I believe LRP have a very similar product. But I never really pay attention to such multi-tasking products. Sure, there are some that claim advanced DNA protection and other benefits, but I don't really believe all that. Epicuren, Lancome, Murad, Juice Organics and so many others have sunscreens with a certain extra in them, some exclusive extracts, enzymes etc., but I haven't heard of any serious research that would back their claims.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
GIzmotron, waht ar eyou talking about? The Mexoryl SX is one of the state of hte art ingredients in LPR to prevent it from breaking down on your skin and let it protect you for longer periods of time. The other ones are Mexoryl XL, parsol, tinosorb. Vitamin C in teh form of L-Ascorbic Acid 10-20% serum with Vitamin E and Ferulic used under the sunscreen helps prevent breakdown.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unforch, the study the OP is talking about included Zinc Oxide..Yeah, just use some anti-oxidants underneath your sunscreen. They are going to start adding them to sunscreens standard now, so some of the higher ends probably already have them...but I say use a serum before...FYI...You've been warned...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to look into using one of the higher SPF Anthelios products, and may also go ahead and look into making a Vitamin C Serum after all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts