Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
extremely oily skin w/cystic acne, have tried simone france skincare(very costly and did not work , skincare products from healthfood store and use proactive on & off , getting ready to try Kate sommerville 911 kit . is anyone familiar w/ kate sommerville or any suggestions ? thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have personall not tried Kate Somerville but I have heard good things about it. One of my co-workers though had cystic acne and we put him on SensiClear and that worked for him. After he got his acne cleared he started using a light therapy device to keep the acne under control. To clear his scaring, he used the Mama Lotion, but I think that the company that made that has changed their formula or name now it is something like M2. Anyway, best of luck! I am sure someone here in SCT has used Kate Somerville.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
HI
The best thing would be to have a Dr look at it and put you on the appropriate medication to get it under control! Cosmetics can only take you so far!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
37 Posts
As far as acne goes, all i can say is that different things work for different people. I myself use neautrogena acne therapy system.
It is 25 dollars. You can purchase it at your local supermarket.
Couldn't hurt to try!
But, the best thing is to probably speak with your dermotologist.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
extremely oily skin w/cystic acne, have tried simone france skincare(very costly and did not work , skincare products from healthfood store and use proactive on & off , getting ready to try Kate sommerville 911 kit . is anyone familiar w/ kate sommerville or any suggestions ? thanks
Speaking from experience cystic acne is not easy to get rid of. You are going to need the help of a Dermatologist. I battled with cystic acne for years and ended up on Accutane. Best thing ever, cleared me up and have been acne free since!! Only thing I did was wait too long (at 39) to take it. I should have done it in my 20's and enjoyed acne free skin when I was young-

·
Registered
529 Posts
my friend took that stuff when we were like 16, dried his skin out badly and he lost his natural tan and stuff, but it did clear it up lol... 5 years later he is still trying to get his colour back lol

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Taking Accutane? He lost his color? wow never heard of that happening. Yes, it definately dries your skin up, but it works-
I waited too long to take it and should have when I was your age. My oldest son took it in high school and has never had a problem since. I don't recommend taking it unless you have tried EVERYTHING else out there. And trust me, I did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you have adult hormonal acne...very common! Try Murad & take 1000 mcgs of Biotin daily!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried products that contain rice bran oil? They have a very calming effect, and have helped tremendously for me.

I use the rice extract moisturizer from THANN. It's entirely natural.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello there! I'm not sure I can help you too much because the only real thing that changed my skin significantly was the birth control pill. Ever since being on it, I still get occasional acne bumps, but it's never cystic any more and it's usually only every few weeks or so. For skincare I am using the Clinique 3 Step, and while I think I am one of the few in the world, I find it's really doing wonders for my skin. I do feel your pain though...cystic acne is not only embarrassing and socially degrading, but it can actually be very painful to do simple things like eat and even smile.

I do want to make note too that you should be a little careful supplementing with biotin. It's great for normal skin types as well as for hair and nail growth, but those who have acne prone skin can notice it cause more problems than benefits. I really don't know why that is but on another forum (makeupalley) there are many, many people who have had bad breakouts from taking biotin. Just wanted to forewarn you!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Lots of good info here. If you want to try something before you get out the really big canons like Accutane, I can recommend this:

You are familiar with the ingredients in proactive; salicylic and benzopyl eroxide. It is well worth trying full strength weekly hydroxy peels. I have had very good results with weekly salicylic / lactic peels, and it doesn't have to be expensive at all. For oil control I add a fermented kelp to my moisturiser and it does wonders for the skin in all kinds of ways. I think it is the agaragar type consistency that normalise oil production and calm skin very effectively and gently.

If you can afford it an omega 3 oil diet supplement in combination with a blend of natural anti-oxidants has proven very helpful with acne. There are several types available in health food stores. I would go for a brand that has natural extracts of several vegetables like kale, kelp, tomato, root vegetables, and perhaps even fruits like apples, blueberry and pomegranate. I can recommend this out of my own experience. Probably the only diet supplements I really noticed had an effect on me. Give the omega3 / anti oxidant combination 3 weeks and it should have noticeable improvements. After 6 weeks with acid peels and diet supplements you skin should be acne free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My husband suffered from cystic acne when he was in high school and nothing ever touched it until he say a Dr. cystic acne is so hard that it almost need something more then your basic face systems to get to the heart of the problem. I would go see a derma. if it were me because it can leave some awful scars behind if you are not careful.

Jamie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please! Please! Please! Don't apply anymore products on your face that would be dehydrating. Seek the help of a Licensed Esthetician. Acutane can actually make the problem worse. Estheticians are specially trained in the area of skin care. I am almost positive that you are suffering from dehydration. Our skin has the ability to produce sebum but not water, so if we are dehydrated our bodies only defense is to send a message to our sebaceous glands that the skin needs moisture. In doing so our pores can become over filled with this sebum, along with bacteria, dirt and environmental pollutants that can and will cause breakouts. A L.E. can look at your skin and tell you exactly what is going on, along with the type of products you need to be using. I know cause I am a Licensed Esthetician.
Hope this helps,
Rhonda

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have suffered from acne all my life and tried everything including the blue light. In the end and after much trying and crying I now have a handle on my particular problem. Acne is a generic term used for a variety of skin disorders and the common link is that you get pimples on the surface of your skin. Nothing worked for my problem because the cause wan't bacterial or clogged pores but actually because my skin produces too much oil - the glands overproduce and it gets clogged in the gland which then becomes enflamed and the result is either a pimple or a boil under the skin. 15 years ago I started taking acutane. The result was less then wonderful as the treatment is 40mg per day for 6 months, which dries you out to the point where your lips are always cracked. No pimples but very very very dry skin. After the 3rd session the result was always the same it worked while I was taking it and then after 2 months of stopping the problem would start again. I was lucky enough to find a doctor who has been using acutane for hundreds of patients and he explained to me that the cure was right but the approach was wrong (his method is unconventional and counterindicated, so other doctors don't agree with his method). I started taking 10mg per day everyday and for the past 10 years not a pimple in sight. If I stop taking the 10mg within 2 months the pimples come back. So I don't care what the other doctors say, this works for me and my life isn't dictated by my mirror every morning to decide if I will go into the office that day or hide my ugly skin, not to mention the pain of having a cyst on my face. There are ofcourse side effects, the most significant is it causes birth defects but as I am in my 40's this is not an issue, so my skin looks perfect and I have good morning mirror days every day

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have heard raving reviews about MD Corrective Care, a new French cosmeceutical line of peels with a great home care line of products. The " green " line has done wonders for acne problem skin. Get a peel and try samples .

·
Registered
16 Posts
thicks,

I had cystic acne 30 years ago. I went to Dermo after Dermo.....was on a chocolate and soda free diet, shellfish free diet, had dry ice treatments, heat lamp treatments and injections in the actual cyst. The medication I remember taking was E-mycin. None of the diets and treatments I went thru for 10 years helped......I still had cysts. The last Dermo I went to prescribed Acutane. Acutane did the trick as far as getting rid of the cysts and I haven't had trouble with cysts since. Acutane is a dangerous drug. The Dermo should ask you if you are pregnant or plan to have children in the near future. Acutane made my nose bleed, the bottom of my feet bleed and have had trouble tanning since. Never used to burn like I do now. I still have trouble with oily skin but no cysts and my skin is very rough. My theory is that Acutane destroys some of the oil glands. I think taking Acutane was worth it.......those cysts sure were painful and I have deep acne pits.

·
Registered
28 Posts
GET RID OF ALL CLEANERS CONTAINING SLS/SLES. Give up all refined sugars, and simplex carbs. Read about probiotics, they may help....go see a dermatologist, see if they will give you a kenalog shot...I am not an Acutane fan because it's tooo agressive. Find an esthetician and go for a series of Glyco/Sal acid peels.....

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I did two courses of Accutane in my teens. Adult acne came back in my late twenties. Instead of doing another course of Accutane I used Orthocyclen. Worked like magic and had benefit of better sleep and more energy.

Skin care and natural approaches like diet and fish oil have nothing to do with adult, hormonally based acne!!

Read It's My Ovaries Stupid by Elizabeth Vliet and Unblemished by Rodan and Fields.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi,
I've tried the Kate Somerville products, but IMO they are way too expensive and many of them are irritating to the skin, especially the cleansers and scrubs/exfoliators. The only one I like is Quench, which is a good serum full of antioxidants. The money you spend on that kit can get you in to see a doctor!
I agree with everyone above who says go to a doctor. Just had my first derm appointment in years today and not only did my insurance pay all but a small co pay, the doctor was great, didn't hurt, and she knew how to solve the problem. Call a good derm and go-don't waste time on something your doctor can solve. Especially if it's cystic acne-- your friend needs some relief fast. Don't let it get any worse. If no health insurance find a clinic!
Good luck and take care,
Alexa

1 - 20 of 37 Posts